Old July 17, 2002, 17:52   #31
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RTS: No opinion here.

TBS: Civilization series, excluding CTP and SMAC.

FPS: Ever? Doom, no contest. (IIRC, around 40 million people have the shareware version; the game's sold a few million at retail.) Right now? Half-Life.

RPG: Diablo II.

FWIW, Final Fantasy has been around since 1987, when FFI was released in Japan.
Old July 17, 2002, 18:06   #32
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 05:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You'd be right that console games sell more these days (and probably have for most of a decade)

The Sims has to be the bestseller on the PC even if you take the original game alone.

NWN is reputedly selling a LOT of units in its first month, but that will have to continue for it to break any records. It should stomp that lame RTS Diablo into the ground though
Old July 17, 2002, 18:29   #33
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
I just remember, Gettysburg! is the most popular Civil War game.

I don't know if NWN will beat Diablo. It has sold in the millions while many are disappointed with NWN.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 17, 2002, 18:42   #34
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:30
Many were disappointed with Diablo 2 too.

/me stills hears the cries of "Diablo 2 is not an RPG" in his sleep.
(it IS!! ... /me looks at Grumbold ... j/k)

That didn't make much of a difference to it's sales.
Old July 17, 2002, 19:30   #35
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Osweld - I do not think CS is a first-person shooter. FPS games are Doom, Quake, Unreal, but not CS... it's more about teamwork.

Yeah, and civ isn't really a strategy game... it's more about empire building.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 17, 2002, 19:32   #36
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
FF8 sold more then FF7? Actually, that's not much of a surprise since I bought a new copy, but the first disc was so ****ed up that I had to purchase a used one from a friend to get past Disc One... I sold a working Disc Three to another friend, and almost covered my loss from that earlier purchase, though.

And yes, our household has a copy of The Sims...
Old July 18, 2002, 11:15   #37
JohnIII
Warlord

I think we must be really weird over here. Every Christmas, when a new Championship Manager update comes out, people flock to buy this game which, frankly, looks crap and isn't very accessible.

But I LOOOOOOVE IT!
Old July 18, 2002, 13:40   #38
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

So does the most popular game mean the best selling? I know that I've bought games that I wish I could take back.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:27   #39
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 06:30
Quote:
You'd be right that console games sell more these days (and probably have for most of a decade)
that doesn't mean they are more played also, playing pirated games is a lot easier on a pc than on a console.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old July 18, 2002, 14:30   #40
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

What he says.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:54   #41
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Well, it is safe to assume that many people satisfied with The Sims considering all the expansion packs.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 18, 2002, 15:17   #42
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah, but just how many people pirate games? If 10,000 people pirate your average game, that's a pretty horrific rate as far as I'm concerned, and even that isn't going to put much of a dent in the sales difference. Besides, if you're talking about playing, many people who pirate games don't play them the tons that people who legitimately buy them do. Again, at absolute worst, maybe there's an additional 20% of people playing a pirated game. That isn't going to stop the console's massive 2:1 advantage.

As for best selling = most popular, well, it's about the best we have to go on. Sure, not everybody who buys a game likes it, but this goes for all games. A 30% dissatisfaction rate compared to a 15% dissatisfaction rate isn't going to mean much.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:14   #43
Apocalypse
Emperor

Don't forget there are more PC games than console games. People are also more likely to have a larger console game collection than PC game collection since console games are drastically shorter on average.

Fun NIM related trivia: What game has the highest return rate of all time?
Old July 19, 2002, 10:29   #44
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:30
Quote:
Ohh, are those really PC games? I'm so happy that, by the time Civ 4 is released, we're probably going to have a second generation of civ players.
Ultima and Wizardry are PC games.

I didn't know we were limited to just PC games.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:40   #45
JohnIII
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Don't forget there are more PC games than console games. People are also more likely to have a larger console game collection than PC game collection since console games are drastically shorter on average.
Drastically shorter? Well, that depends on what you want in a game, doesn't it? Console games tend to have higher replayability for unlocking stuff, which is almost unheard of in PC games.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:56   #46
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Quote:
Fun NIM related trivia: What game has the highest return rate of all time?
Call to Power 2 ?
Old July 19, 2002, 11:15   #47
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnIII
Drastically shorter? Well, that depends on what you want in a game, doesn't it? Console games tend to have higher replayability for unlocking stuff, which is almost unheard of in PC games.
I wouldn't say console games have higher replayability either. It'd be silly to argue console games have higher replayability for strategy games. RPGs for PCs are usually longer, and combined with their typically nonlinear storyline, are also more replayable.

Quote:
Call to Power 2 ?
Close, the original Call to Power.
Old July 19, 2002, 11:19   #48
Solver
lifer
Deity

Original CtP is much better...
Old July 19, 2002, 11:50   #49
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, yes in a way. More people thought they were buying a Sid Meier game with the original though.
Old July 19, 2002, 20:22   #50
JohnIII
Warlord

Quote:
I wouldn't say console games have higher replayability either. It'd be silly to argue console games have higher replayability for strategy games. RPGs for PCs are usually longer, and combined with their typically nonlinear storyline, are also more replayable.
And what about sports games, or fighting games?
Old July 19, 2002, 21:45   #51
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well there aren't that many sports games for the PC. The ones that are made are usually for the console also. The ones that aren't are usually things like Baseball Management Sims. These have very high replay value. Fighting games are rarely made for the PC. They usually don't have enough replay value to last as long as the average PC game though.
Old July 19, 2002, 22:13   #52
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:30
Haven't seen any real fighting games (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc) ported to the PC. I think PC gamers are a different crowd than console games.

FWIW, I like SMAC/X better than Civ series, of which Civ 3 is the best of the lot. Maybe CtP can be very good with all the mods and patches but I can't be arsed now.
Old July 20, 2002, 07:12   #53
JohnIII
Warlord

Quote:
Well there aren't that many sports games for the PC. The ones that are made are usually for the console also. The ones that aren't are usually things like Baseball Management Sims. These have very high replay value. Fighting games are rarely made for the PC. They usually don't have enough replay value to last as long as the average PC game though.
So what you're saying is:
1) Console games have less replay value, because their strategy games are worse.
2) Fighting and sports games don't count, because the PC doesn't have very good ones.

How much sense does that make?
Old July 20, 2002, 11:26   #54
Apocalypse
Emperor

No. I'm saying the PC doesn't have many fighting and sports games. Most of the sports games they do have, the console also has. This kinda negates the comparision. The sports games they do have are filled with replay value though. The PC doesn't have fighting games, but I'm not saying they don't count. I'm saying take the average total playing time of a fighting game and you won't reach the average playing time of your average PC game.
Old July 20, 2002, 11:28   #55
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Maybe CtP can be very good with all the mods and patches but I can't be arsed now.
The big problem with many. They hear the guffaws about CtP, and hesitate to try it, though it makes an excellent game, with the best of the mods there are.
Old July 21, 2002, 06:19   #56
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnIII
I think we must be really weird over here. Every Christmas, when a new Championship Manager update comes out, people flock to buy this game which, frankly, looks crap and isn't very accessible.

But I LOOOOOOVE IT!
Aye
==
I think generally (good) PC games tend to be more anal and less accessible for the uncommitted schooly with a swift £20 to spend, thats why console games sell in bucket loads. Mum/Dad gives them the money and off they go. Also consoles cost less compared to a PC. Adults consider others opinions on games before blinding spending £35 on a game. Civ 3 being the exception. Although post 1.29f, if i didnbt have a copy now (christmas present) id buy it for £15, no more.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:07   #57
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Civ 2 of course, now what's the second best game? A much harder question .... (today my vote is Morrowind)

SG[1]
Old July 21, 2002, 09:48   #58
Juggler
Prince

And today my vote is BG2.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:55   #59
Solver
lifer
Deity

BG2?
Old July 21, 2002, 09:56   #60
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Baldurs Gate 2?