Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
If I understand the current war plan right, we capture all but one of the American cities, which means we'll likely destroy most of their units, too. In short, America will likely give us anything for peace.

So, why not just wait and get mapmaking from them later? If the AI mapwhores quickly as some people say, we'll likely get a fairly complete map as well.

Or is the AI unwilling to give up very valuable things like large maps even when confronted with destruction?
The AI will give us all what it has, if left in such a desparate situation. So it's nearly pointless to trade with other civs for advances right now. But not entirely:

1) There's a point to trade with America. All we give them now, we'll get back with the peace treaty, either as cash (which I doubt) or as advance they bought, and btw cheaper than we would be able to. Disclaimer: Don't buy for gold per turn, because this would result in the break of a treaty, which means massive loss of reputation and to lose the option to trade for gpt in the future.

2) I would approve to trade for Map Making, because it gives us a very valuable unit (galley), which we could build now, not losing time until after the war. Just don't waste cash for useless in our current state techs, such as Philosophy or Code of Laws.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:56   #32
Captain
King

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't think a galley is very useful.

we have a MAJOR war coming up on us, and we need to put everything into colonizing the conquered lands or else some other civ will fill it in for us.

the island can wait. let's secure a decent grip on our own continent first.

we must work on land units for this continent and forget about the hassles of overseas colonization until it makes more sense...
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:05   #33
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:31
But we musn't wait too long since the land my prove tempting to other civs and it is always good to get a foothold on another continent and an island can become strategically important later on in the game (not to mention now )
Old July 18, 2002, 15:11   #34
BigRed515
Settler

Local Time: 04:31
As long as we don't trade the map away, the island can wait. If we trade pour map, we HAVE to get it before the others start staking claims all over it.

I'd say stick with the war plans and keep our map to ourselves.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:24   #35
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
I can't believe some of you are frightened about the other civ's having our map, because whether you like it or not, they are gonna find out within the next 20 turns anyway and by that time, trading will be near useless.
Old July 19, 2002, 06:33   #36
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:31
Do it Sn00py. We need advantages, and we are in such a position that we must take risks to get them. It is fight or fail time, and we may as well throw ourselves into it.

And I wonder if the Maori would have anything to say about you using their independence flag...? (But it does look cooler than mine/our official one.)

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!