Old July 17, 2002, 19:10   #1
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Patch opens MODERN age
Now here's the thing:

Games always seem to be over by the modern age. You've either won it or its so bogged down it ain't fun anymore.

Well that should change. Am I right in saying this patch will allow us to make modern (albeit unscripted) scenarios?

If so folks, the wonders of the Stealth Bomber await...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 17, 2002, 21:54   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:31
Re: Patch opens MODERN age
Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Now here's the thing:

Games always seem to be over by the modern age. You've either won it or its so bogged down it ain't fun anymore.

Well that should change. Am I right in saying this patch will allow us to make modern (albeit unscripted) scenarios?

If so folks, the wonders of the Stealth Bomber await...
Yeah, you are right....Hopefully
Old July 18, 2002, 00:44   #3
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes, you can easily create a scenario in which all players start in the modern era, with modern weapons.

Dan
Old July 18, 2002, 00:52   #4
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Yes, you can easily create a scenario in which all players start in the modern era, with modern weapons.

Dan
Can we also slow down turns into months, therefor alowing modern wars that don't go on for 20 years?
Old July 18, 2002, 02:58   #5
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark

Can we also slow down turns into months, therefor alowing modern wars that don't go on for 20 years?
We could? Oh good. That always made me a little annoyed. Kills the realism a bit. Why dois it take the tank 2 bloody years to reach the enemy gates??? HMMMMMPHH
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 18, 2002, 03:23   #6
NeoStar
Warlord

I doubt we could slow time, it would be great though. If that happened, we'd have to be able to slow tech research as well.

Can't have Stealth fighters in a WW2 scenario, can we?
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 18, 2002, 06:35   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:31
Quote:
I hope so...
Old July 18, 2002, 11:09   #8
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Or one step further- days. Just think how long Desert Storm lasted...
Old July 18, 2002, 12:33   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
I already asked about this and was told that we can't change the time step. All turns will continue at 20 year encroments.

If you want events scripting, control over the time step, and FULL control of a senerio you'll have to use CTP2.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:58   #10
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I already asked about this and was told that we can't change the time step. All turns will continue at 20 year encroments.

If you want events scripting, control over the time step, and FULL control of a senerio you'll have to use CTP2.
Than hows the promised WW2 Mod going to work? Is it only going to last a few turns?
Old July 18, 2002, 16:35   #11
HazieDaVampire
King

i want this! you better do it! We need this!
Then WW2 will take all of the 6 years to complete, and take more than 6 turns!
Old July 18, 2002, 18:31   #12
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:

Than hows the promised WW2 Mod going to work?
Its a Mod, thats how. Im guessing it only changes unit properties and graphics - maybe leader graphics too.

I hope they get time to turn 'Mod' into 'scenario'
Old July 18, 2002, 18:35   #13
NeoStar
Warlord

ALRIGHT!! That last post made me CHIEFTAIN!

I hated SETTLER, I used to visit Apolyton months before Civ was even released. Didn't have my own computer to post, though.
Old July 18, 2002, 18:45   #14
HazieDaVampire
King

ya, now the celibraiton over, quit the spam

(This post is probubly spam)

I need my custom avatar damit!
Old July 18, 2002, 20:30   #15
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
I doubt we could slow time, it would be great though. If that happened, we'd have to be able to slow tech research as well. . .
Huh?? If we CAN'T slow time what are we left with? A WW II "scenario" that lasts centuries??

In all the Civ 2 scenarios time was appropriate for the scenario, and techs adjusted. NEW techs were also added, such as in the WW I scenario poison gas units and zeppellns, both of which could be researched.

Just because you can start in the Industrial era does NOT mean you have a scenario that attempts to simulate an historical situation the way Civ 2 did.
Old July 18, 2002, 20:32   #16
Coracle
Prince

Dammit, Firaxis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Then Civ 3 STILL DOES NOT HAVE REAL SCENARIOS.
Old July 18, 2002, 23:58   #17
khyron
Chieftain

This post will be off-topic. I apologize in advance, and will accept public flogging, tarring, and feathering as needed for punishment.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

In all the Civ 2 scenarios time was appropriate for the scenario, and techs adjusted. NEW techs were also added, such as in the WW I scenario poison gas units and zeppellns, both of which could be researched.

Just because you can start in the Industrial era does NOT mean you have a scenario that attempts to simulate an historical situation the way Civ 2 did.
Coracle...for the love of Pete....

I've been watching your name bounce all over the Civ3 boards, be it in past posts or posts from tonight. All the time, I see the same thing. "Civ 2 this," "Civ 2 that," "Civ 2 used to cook my eggs for me in the morning," and "Civ 2 had my clothes all layed out for me before I went off to [insert your occupation here]."

You know what? Civ 2 isn't Civ 3. The CtPs aren't Civ 3. SMAC isn't Civ3. They all have upsides and downsides. If I had designed the game, I might have lifted an idea here and there from different games, and maybe implemented things differently at times. But I didn't. Neither did you. I believe there are things about Civ 3 that could be done differently, maybe better--indeed, I've specified certain things I think could be imporved in a post or two--but what's been done has been done. The Firaxians are watching. Maybe if you were to calmly put forward your suggestions and be patient, Civ 4 will bear us much fruit. Remember, these folks are masters at gamecraft, and when they can implement a good idea, they will.

To further illustrate that point, let's remember the debacle that was CtP2. At least we know that our boys at the "Big F" are here daily, I believe, and that means they listen to what we say. It's better than some other game company called Activision I could mention, but I won't.

If Civ 3 doesn't tug at your chain the way Civ 2 does, Coracle, then how's about we get constructive and not just endlessly moan about how things were so much better in the old days. Either put your ideas up, or slither back to the Civ 2 forums and enjoy what you enjoy. Believe me, no one will think the less of you for it.

And while I think there are problems with some things in Civ3, I still play it. The strengths are strong. And I even like it, too. Whaddaya think about that?

Last edited by khyron; July 19, 2002 at 00:04.
Old July 19, 2002, 01:24   #18
Evil Robot
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:31
hah
Old July 19, 2002, 03:34   #19
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

In contrast, Civ 2 looks primitive and the spies, which Coracle loves so much, were rather cheap and a game killer.

It turned the game into a game of Microsoft Monopoly. Buy out your enemy.
Old July 19, 2002, 07:04   #20
HazieDaVampire
King

i just have a 50year long war invading an island half of the size of my own!

It should turn into weeks or somthing when you get near the modern or late industreil age! It doesn't take 2 years to take a choddy town for it to be taken back the next year or year after that! Unless your Germans in Stalingrad!