Old July 17, 2002, 21:27   #1
tniem
King

Local Time: 23:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FF I and II coming to PSOne
Gamespot is reporting that Final Fantasy I and II are coming to PS one, which of course can be played on PS2. Have not ever finished either one. Sounds like a console game I should be looking to pick up.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:27   #2
frostycreep
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I downloaded the roms of FF1 and FF2 and wasnt paticulary impressed with either of them. Personally i think the final fantasy games only became really good from final fantasy 5 onwards.
Old July 21, 2002, 22:05   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:32
Quote:
Originally posted by frostycreep
I downloaded the roms of FF1 and FF2 and wasnt paticulary impressed with either of them. Personally i think the final fantasy games only became really good from final fantasy 5 onwards.
Wich one do you think is THE best one?
Old July 21, 2002, 22:38   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 22:32
FF1 was good

Jon Miller
Old July 21, 2002, 22:56   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

FF3/6 was the only one I remember fondly.

'though if I where to play it today I would hate it.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 22, 2002, 12:04   #6
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Why would you hate FF6 if you played it today?

Also, I'm going to have to agree with frostycreep... FF5 on up are proably the best...

Then of course, the other contenders are Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, along with Secret of Mana 1 & 2.

Trust me, finding a translated ROM of SoM 2 is worth it! I'm not talking Legends of Mana that came out on PSone.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old July 22, 2002, 23:11   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Why would you hate FF6 if you played it today?
Because final fantasy games are completely linear, and the combat/random encounters in the games are extremely tedious and annoying.

I'd rather spend my time reading a book, that way I can get a better story, and I don't have to go through all that annoying **** to advance the plot.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 23, 2002, 09:31   #8
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

*nods* Though books can be just as bad.

Take Robert Jordan's series... (now I loved Eye of the World myself, and ordered the second one in the series too) the characters in Eye of the World all raced to get to one special point... as the book progressed there were the seemingly "random" battles and attacks that took place.

The random battles are there to hopefully spark a sense of tension in FF6... if your party is left underequipped even a random battle (though not very often) can take them out.

Besides, in dungeons on the PSone version you can quadruple your speed by simply equipping sprint shoes and holding the O button. A lot fewer random battles that way.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old July 23, 2002, 16:24   #9
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:32
FF5 and from then on the best? But you are forgetting FF4!
The random encounters are a real pain, and I hope that Square could find a way to not have them.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:52   #10
FlameFlash
Emperor

Crap!!!!

*considers running out into the street to play in traffic.*

You're right, how could I have forgotten FF4? Now, only the hard version (Japan version) because the US version was just way too easy and most certainly one of the most linear FF games of all time.

FF5 & 6 had a lot of extra stuff that you could skip (like not using all the job classes and not getting GoGo and some other characters in 6.)

FF7 was overly linear in my mind... sure you've got a few things to pick up... well, I'm going to try replaying it now that it's been a while pretty soon... have to beat Chrono Cross and FF4-6 first. Trying to just play through all the square games that have been converted to the PSOne & 2.

Old July 24, 2002, 12:28   #11
CygnusZ
Warlord

Final Fantasy 2 (Japanese) is a really terrible game. Basically it amounts to a giant exercise in self mutiliation.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:36   #12
FlameFlash
Emperor

How does it do that, Cygnus?

Old July 24, 2002, 17:45   #13
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 05:32
PSOne
Old July 24, 2002, 22:30   #14
tniem
King

Local Time: 23:32
Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms
PSOne
The original play station. It is still being sold but in a new case under the name PSOne. It is also the title being refrenced to when a new game comes out for the original play station.
Old July 28, 2002, 12:56   #15
CygnusZ
Warlord

Final Fantasy 2 introduced a new sort of system for leveling. Instead of gaining levels at certain amounts of EXP, you would gain individual attributes based on usage. You would gain HP whenver you got hit, and MP whenever you cast a spell.

Now, in theory this should allow you to play through the game leveling up correctly as the game progresses. This doesn't happen though, and you'll end up having to spend time "leveling up".

How do you level up in such a game? Easy, order your fighter to hit all your characters to 5 HP, and at the end of every battle you'll get a HUGE boost to your maximum HP. Rinse, lather and repeat.

FF2j was easily the worst of the series
Old July 28, 2002, 18:51   #16
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

FFI was okay. IIRC, they did a remake of it on some system called the Wonderswan. They have graphics at http://www.classicgaming.com/ff1/

I haven't played FF2j. I have played FF3j, though-- I thought it was pretty decent. (I preferred the job system from FFV to FF3j's.)

And they did something like FF2j's EXP system in Romancing Saga 3 (on the SNES, never released in America), where they based advancement on usage (also done to a limited extent in FF3j with class advancement-- i.e. mages gain more class EXP if they use magic than if they don't). Unlike FF2j, in RS3, you can't attack your own PCs, and stuff like damage is not guaranteed to increase max HP.