Old July 23, 2002, 17:54   #91
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm just wondering. Do I have to install the 1.21F patch before installing this 1.29F patch?

Another thing... How do I change my 'settler' thing under my name to something else?
Old July 24, 2002, 05:37   #92
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I'm just wondering. Do I have to install the 1.21F patch before installing this 1.29F patch?
No you don't have to install any of the older patches before installing the new one 1.29F
Though it is a good idea if you already have the old one uninstall it first then install the new one
Old July 24, 2002, 06:12   #93
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
Re: No CD
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeinBH
Sorry to come to the defense of someone going by the name of Pungent, but NoCD patches can be a lifesaver...
I don't have any problems with no-cd fixes.

The only problem here was just that posting links to such fixes is against rules of these forums.
Old July 24, 2002, 07:34   #94
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTD_Ran
Another thing... How do I change my 'settler' thing under my name to something else?
From the FAQ:

"Each poster has a status shown under his username. That is depended by his post count, like this:
-Settler 1-30
-Chieftain 31-100
-Warlord 101-300
-Prince 301-1000
-King 1001-3000
-Emperor 3001-10000
-Deity 10001+
Note: this system is not intended to rank people in any way. It is only meant to give a "civish" modd on the forums. A few, specific, special posters have their own status so that they are easily recognized. For example Brian Reynolds has a "Big Huge Games President" status."

Here is the link:
http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?...=faq&page=4#45
Old July 24, 2002, 15:04   #95
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Ahh! I see. But I found how to change the other stuff. Thanks!

But I just want to be one of the most important 'people' in the game... The Workers! I'd like to see it changed to 'personal preferance' and to include workers
Old July 25, 2002, 10:58   #96
Dimension
Warlord

Local Time: 23:34
Come on, guys. The very beginning of this thread specifically says that this is not the place for editor feedback, but that's almost all I see. I hope somebody actually notices the legitimate bugs that have been reported.

In my first 1.29F game, I noticed these bugs:

Still a bug: The "Video Mode=" setting in Civilization3.Ini has not worked since 1.17F, but it is still listed as a feature in the README. "KeepRes=1" works, but it's tedious having to change your desktop resolution every time you play.

Still a bug: If you play in a high resolution, every time you load a game, the edges of the screen will reveal the last map you were playing. That is, if you don't want to cheat, you have to restart Civ3 every time you load a game.

The Civilopedia link Main > Game Concepts > Power Plants > Nuclear Plant is bad. You can still get to Nuclear Plant by going to City Improvements > Nuclear Plant.

Here's a picture of what happens if you load a game twice in a row in 1600x1200:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3-reload.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	20544  
Old July 25, 2002, 11:09   #97
Deathwalker
Prince

Freaky
I was wandering is there plans for another patch prior to PTW and if so. Will it get the AI to artillery
Old July 25, 2002, 11:49   #98
jkelly
Chieftain

New for 1.29: Trade-screen Gold bug
1.29 on Win2K, Deity.

If one arranges a deal that involves gold in the transaction, and then hits 'Esc' to back out, when the deal is returned to the 'Gold' section of the table of offers is "greyed-out", meaning whatever gold was on the table is now fixed.

Work-around: Back up out of the deal and start over.

Can someone confirm?
Old July 25, 2002, 14:29   #99
whosurdaddy
Warlord

Possible editor bug??
Ok, i'm pretty sure that this is a bug with the editor not working properly. Basically, i'm trying to make it so that foreign citizens assymilate very quickly into the culture of who conquered them in order to reduce amounts of culture flipping in the game.

So, I set the assymlation rates to 90% for each government type, but even after 20 or 30 turns, enemy citizens in cities which i have conquered from the AI are still retaining their old nationality, and this is even after the resistance has ended. With these settings, shouldnt the enemy citizens in my recently conquered cities be assymlating into my culture in 1 or 2 turns at the most?

It seems to me like the assymlation rate option in the editor is not working properly.

Dan, am i right??? or do i just not understand what this button is supposed to do???
Old July 26, 2002, 08:21   #100
Bodiless Jack
Settler

Genuine bug report - at least for me anyway
Civ III has caused an error and will close!!
I got this error during a game last night. I had just newlly installed the 1.29 patch and wanted to try editing the rules by adding a new unit. I added the peltast unit but called it Javelin and gave it to Greece. The problem doesn't seem to be with the new unit (I can build this unit ok and fight with it etc.) it's this: I'm in war with Egypt. The war has run its course and I want to end it (extracting as much tech and gold from Cleo in the peace terms of course). However, every time I try to enter diplomatic negotiations with Egypt the game crashes!! I've never had this occur before the new patch (in many, many hours of game play). The error is repeatable everytime whether you right-click an Egyptian unit or go to the Foreign Adviser screen and double click Cleo and even after they contact me (they're obviously screaming for peace) and I agree to speak to them. I can contact all the other civs ok. The only work around I can see is to eradicate the Egyptians (that wouldn't be nice, would it?).
I will post the sav file if anyone would care to look at it.
Old July 26, 2002, 09:23   #101
Ozymandous
Prince

Re: No CD
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeinBH
Sorry to come to the defense of someone going by the name of Pungent, but NoCD patches can be a lifesaver. A couple of weeks ago, my fiance thought that I was spending just a bit too much time on Civ, so she broke the CD in half. Literally! I purchased the right to the intellectual property that is Civ3. That intellectual property remains on my computer, and I'm darn glad a patch allows me to access it. Otherwise, I might have actually gotten mad at the fiance. There is 1) nothing wrong and 2) nothing illegal with this limited use of NoCD patches (she also broke my Metal of Honor CD, so I got the patch for that as well). Furthermore, I reviewed the usage rules for this forum and found no written, objective basis for removing Pungent's patch. If Ming has a cite otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Joe
Ah well, you DO know that you should be able to send the original CD's back and get a replacement right? Since virtually all game software companies will let you do this, IF you send them back the original CD, there is NO excuse to use a no-cd crack AT ALL.

What's your next lame excuse?
Old July 26, 2002, 11:21   #102
Trelane
Settler

Civ Editor bug
Whenever I load a BIC file and save it, the file shrinks in size by almost 90%. This happens whether or not I make any modifications and whether or not I replace the original file or save it as a different file. I tested this on Firaxis' stock standard Earth map, Norm's Europe (still need more resources, Norm), and Kitten of Chaos' huge Earth map.

One wonders what is getting lost in the process. While playing on a modified Kitten map I discovered that the rate of barbarian generation rose astronomically - about 900 barb horsemen scattered about Indonesia, Australia, and South America by 200 AD. (Didn't count the barb galleys and warriors.) Never saw this happen under 1.17f.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:00   #103
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 21:34
The BICs are now Compested to save space, there is nothing lost.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old July 27, 2002, 00:35   #104
Dimension
Warlord

Another bug I found...

It's a little obnoxious the way airplanes automatically fortify (go to sleep, whatever) if you don't use them for a turn. But, if that happens when you leave a Carrier in a city for a turn to repair, all the planes on the Carrier will stay in the city when you leave again. That is, when a Carrier stays in a city, you will have to waste a turn to re-base your bombers onto the Carrier again after it leaves the city.
Old July 27, 2002, 01:30   #105
Dimension
Warlord

Re: Re: No CD
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
...there is NO excuse to use a no-cd crack AT ALL.
PLEASE. Give me a break.

I bought a legitimate copy of Civ3. I also made a backup copy of Civ3, and it works perfectly. Even if you use low-quality software to copy the CD and it doesn't work right, you can still download a crack for it easily. It takes about 3 seconds to do a web search and find such a crack.

The point is that requiring you to have the CD in the drive does absolutely nothing to prevent piracy. To the contrary, it is just an inconvenience to people who own a legitimate copy, because if you're going to pirate it, you're going to use a crack (or else you will download a pre-cracked version of the software, which usually is available before the official release of the software).

I have two computers at my desk hooked up to a KVM switch. I have Civ3 installed on each machine. Sometimes I'll have the faster machine doing something very CPU-intensive, and I'll want to play Civ3 on the other machine. It is very convenient for me to just install the no-CD patch, even though I could just use my backup copy in the other machine. I'm certainly not breaking any laws, because I'm never even using Civ3 on two different machines at the same time. Even if you never do anything else with your computer and can just leave the Civ3 CD in all the time, the no-CD patch is worth it just because it keeps you from having to wait for the drive to spin-up.

I own Civ3. I paid my $50. As much as some people complain about little things in Civ3, I was glad to give my support to Firaxis for developing a great game. I don't play games that often, and SMAX, Civ 3, Diablo 2, Gran Turismo 3, and Grand Theft Auto 3 are the only things I've played at all in the past two years (well, a little Civ2 to warm up for Civ3). Still, I'd rather not have to install an additonal CD-ROM drive for every piece of software I own just so I don't have to get out the CD when I want to use it. How would you feel if Microsoft Office asked you to put the CD-ROM in the drive every time you started Word? How would you feel if Windows asked for the CD every time you rebooted? REQUIRING THE CD IS RIDICULOUS.

Does anybody really think this so-called copy-protection feature is keeping people from pirating the game? I'm pretty disappointed in Firaxis for including it. Alpha Centauri didn't require the CD. Alien Crossfire did, but guess what -- I've got the no-CD patch for that, too.

As I said, I do own Civ3. I bought it at Electronics Botique the day it came out. Maybe putting in the CD isn't that big an inconvenience, but this is a game. It's something I do to relax. That somehow just makes it more annoying having to dig out the CD. The game's already fully installed on my computer, but it has to ask for the CD just to "keep me honest". Give me a break. When 1.29F came out, I didn't install it on Friday. I waited till the next Tuesday when the crack was posted on major websites. I suppose at least Firaxis has SOME sort of excuse for including the CD-check. Blizzard put a CD-check on Diablo 2, and you can't even play online without having the CD-key anyway, so there's no point (unless you play single-player Diablo, and I've never heard of anybody doing that).

OK, I'm not actually particularly upset about Civ3 checking for the CD. The fact is, however, that it IS an inconvenience. I have several things in my life which prevent me from sitting down and playing Civ for 20 hours straight, so I have to save, quit, and do other things. I keep my computer shut in my desk drawer, and I keep my CD's in a bookshelf. I will continue to use the no-CD hack because I can. I defy anybody to find a legitimate reason why anybody should have to put the CD in their computer to play it.

All of this is completely off-topic, but I felt the need to reply.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:32   #106
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:34
Bodiless Jack.

Yes please. A save might help. Sometimes a problem is particular to a given system. Also, the Firaxians cannot examine the problem without the sav.

For the rest of you, could you desist with the off topic 'issues'? Please.
Old July 27, 2002, 03:58   #107
Dimension
Warlord

Another little thing --

I suppose this may not technically be a real bug, but airlifting is not mentioned anywhere in the Civilopedia. It should definitely be in the Airport description, and possibly under Game Concepts. As it is now, the only way for a newbie to figure out airlifting is to stumble upon the airlift button after building an airport.
Old July 27, 2002, 06:07   #108
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:34
There is so MUCH 'documentation' that seems to only exist here and at CivFanatics that it's disgusting.

I am not objecting to its being online, just that at this point it is ONLY online.

For the publishers to that 'Strategy Guide' to have EXCLUSIVE rights for it is a crime, especially since the likelyhood of their producing a worthy successor after PTW comes out is almost nil!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 27, 2002, 06:16   #109
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 05:34
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
The order in which cities appear on the Domestic Advisor screen isn't always the order in which they were founded (perhaps if a barbarian camp was located at a later city site?).
Old July 27, 2002, 10:33   #110
Flight
Warlord

maybe this is a new bug, maybe its an old one that's never been found or maybe its some weird freak of the game i was playing but here it is

i stole tech from the zulus and it worked, i took superconductors fine but then it said i have to pick a second tech to steal. The zulus didn't have any other techs that i didn't have and so i couldn't pick a tech but couldn't quit the science screen either (tells you to pick a tech to steal) - i had to ctrl alt del

Just reloaded the game at the point and stole tech from the knowledgeable persians instead, upon getting superconductor it says "we discovered the secret of free artistry from the germans, what shall we research now" and takes you back to the science screen to steal a second tech (miniturisation)

this is for the same price as stealing one tech normally - is this supposed to happen? (2 techs for 3100 gold, not bad)

i have the save game btw

Last edited by Flight; July 27, 2002 at 10:39.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:55   #111
Ribannah
Queen

Yes, that's an old one. There are many old bugs that have not yet been addressed.
Old July 28, 2002, 00:07   #112
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

I was wondering if anyone else gets repeating music/sounds sometimes? Sometimes if I go to like a city window or the advisors screen, any music or sound will loop... LOL Some of them are very funny... It doesn't happen that much but does anyone else experiance this?

P2 450 128MB nVidia 32MB SoundBlaster Live 5.2
Old July 28, 2002, 07:34   #113
Ribannah
Queen

When you conquer a city, any nearby units won't show on the map until you're done handling the new town.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:04   #114
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Re: Re: No CD
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous

Ah well, you DO know that you should be able to send the original CD's back and get a replacement right? Since virtually all game software companies will let you do this, IF you send them back the original CD, there is NO excuse to use a no-cd crack AT ALL.

1) He would have to ship the broken CD to Infogrames and pay for that.

2) Usually, you have to pay to have a replacement CD shipped to you. I don't know what Infogrames policy is on that. Could be up to $5.

3) Since you have to mail these things, that's 4-5 days (at the very least, probably more likre 2-3 weeks) that you are unable to play your game.
Old July 30, 2002, 01:36   #115
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Firaxis, please have your testers play this scenario. A number of modern-era warfare bugs for that scenario are being reported in this thread.

I think the most serious of these bugs is that sometimes air units on air superiority missions on carriers remain suspended above the ocean when the carrier moves.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:13   #116
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
I think the most serious of these bugs is that sometimes air units on air superiority missions on carriers remain suspended above the ocean when the carrier moves.
This reminds me of a previously reported bug, which is - IMHO - still in the game. It seems that aircraft (both fighters and bombers) go to the sleep state after their carrier moves to a new location (and must be manually awaken). Why? If they were "active" before the carrier moved, they should remain so even after it did. I might understand that fighters assigned the air superiority missions would need to be reassigned this mission again, as it actually gives them a new area to watch over. But for bombers... they should not go sleeping without me telling them so... Anyone else noticing this?
Old July 30, 2002, 03:53   #117
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

file selection window too narrow
OK, this one is really stupid, but annoys me a lot... My savegames usually have pretty verbose names (I tend to accept the default Ruler Name of Nation Date AD/BC.sav name, as it is exactly what I would choose). Whenever I wish to load it, I am having difficulties figuring out which savegame is which... the YEARS that distinguish between them are usually cut off (I can't see them or I can see only the very first figure, which is not that helpful) as they do not fit into the file selection box. Every time, I have to click on different save games to have their full name appear in the input field below. Would it be so difficult to make the file selection windows, say, twice as wide? Or, use a narrower font to display the filenames?

Edit: I have just - by chance - found out that I have this problem only when I first open the Load Savegame window (does not matter where from - the problem is the same whether I open it with Ctrl-L from inside the game or from the Main Menu). The actual problem is that the savegame filenames will not wrap to the window. However, going into the Auto subdirectory, the wrap gets into effect, so that when I get back to the base savegame subdir level, it is okay. However, dismissing the dialog and opening it again brings the problem back in. Appears to be an issue with the line wrap not bring properly initialized for the file selection window.

Also, the game is unable to "enter" savegame subdirectories, whose names contain a period. It will also refuse to "enter" subdirectories, whose names are longer than 64 characters. In both cases, it will say "Unable to find file NAME", where NAME is (up to the first 64 characters) of the name of the subdirectory in question.

Minor bugs, but annoying enough...

Last edited by vondrack; July 30, 2002 at 18:10.
Old July 31, 2002, 09:51   #118
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

When there is no available military unit to build, and the pop-up advisor would otherwise suggest to you to build a military unit, the game crashes.

This happens if, for example, you make warriors unavailable (and you don't know Warrior Code and Bronze Working). After you complete your first building (or unit, provided you don't have the "Always build last unit" option clicked), the game will crash.

I discovered this while trying to make a scenario where the human cannot build any military units.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:06   #119
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Skimmed through the firaxian patch report, and noticed a little bit elementary goody stuff. Ok nice, but I saw something alarming too:

"Restricted roads/railroads from being built on terrain that has no road bonus. "

What's this **** supposed to mean?
Old July 31, 2002, 15:11   #120
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
Skimmed through the firaxian patch report, and noticed a little bit elementary goody stuff. Ok nice, but I saw something alarming too:

"Restricted roads/railroads from being built on terrain that has no road bonus. "

What's this **** supposed to mean?
Don't worry, this affects only mods (actually, there is a possibility now to restrict roads and railroads to be built only on certain tiles, IIRC). It does not apply to the regular game. You are still able to build roads and railroads everywhere.