View Poll Results: Should we now open embassies?
Group 1 - Yes, start with the cheapest and go on as long as we can afford it, but not America and France. 5 9.43%
Group 1 - Yes, start with the cheapest and go on as long as we can afford it, including America and France. 7 13.21%
Group 1 - Yes, in any order, the foreign minister has the power to decide this. 20 37.74%
Group 2 - No, don't spend money on embassies now. 21 39.62%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18, 2002, 18:05   #1
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OFFICIAL: Should we now open embassies?
This poll is official, because I was authorized by the Foreign minister to open it, in result of the turnchat July 18th.

We have contact to 11 AI civs. 2 of them, France and America, are our immediate neighbors. Greece and Germany are a bit farther. Rome, The Aztecs, Iroquois, England, Russia, Babylon and Persia are very far. See the minimap below.

We have 363 gold and are making +9 per turn.

The question is, shall we begin to open embassies with AI civs now?

Prices are:

Rome61 gold
Greece43 gold
America32 gold
Aztecs63 gold
Iroquois64 gold
France35 gold
Germany44 gold
England47 gold
Russia49 gold
Babylon61 gold
Persia43 gold

Options are:

Group 1 - Yes, start with the cheapest (nearest) and go on as long as we can afford it, but not America and France (our likely victims).
Group 1 - Yes, start with the cheapest (nearest) and go on as long as we can afford it, including America and France (our likely victims).
Group 1 - Yes, in any order, the foreign minister has the power to decide this.
Group 2 - No, don't spend money on embassies now.

I could have made this a multi-choice poll, but that would probably be only a clickfest and it would be hard to decide, which option won. Considering, that we anyway need embassies with everyone at some point, I think this approach should be the best.

If Group 1 (Yes) gets more votes than Group 2 (No), we will start to build embassies now, and the order is determined by the "Yes" option with the most votes.

If Group 2 (No) gets more votes than Group 1 (Yes), no embassies will be built for now.

This poll is open for 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	minimap.png
Views:	139
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	19910  
Old July 18, 2002, 18:30   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
I can't vote (STUPID FREAKING GOD****ED MESSED UP...), so make it +1 for Group 2.
Old July 18, 2002, 19:19   #3
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I believe there is little to be gained from opening embassies at this point. Though if they get more expensive over time it could be worthwhile to get them early. Still I would hold off alittle bit. However I believe we should open an emabssy with america right before we attack so we see the strength of the defense in washington.
Aggie
Old July 18, 2002, 22:47   #4
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:35
Im not a big fan of embassies period, only really establish them for strategic perposes (like if the best path to an enemy is through a neighbor, I'll get a right of passage agreement and such), and I don't usually do this until much later when I have cavalry (my initial conquest are with Legions and then I usually dont need MPP or ROP agreements). So that'll be a no on any embassies, at this point.

Kman
Old July 18, 2002, 22:59   #5
Robber Baron
Prince

I like Aggie's idea about getting a glimpse inside Washington right before we declare war
Otherwise, embassies seem like a luxury we can't really afford. Down the road, we might want to set up an embassy and close relations with Germany, and possible England or Persia, for possible alliances against the Aztecs. (I'm starting to get nightmares about swarms of jaguar warriors!)
Old July 18, 2002, 23:03   #6
Akron
Prince

No point in opening up embassies just yet. When we have some strategic need for it, then we can, but every gold coin is very valuable, especially since there is little room for error given our poor position.
Old July 18, 2002, 23:06   #7
Robber Baron
Prince

Time for a noob question: does opening embassies make it easier to detect when AI civs go to war against each other? How do you tell? Cause it's looking like we're going to have to be very opportunistic to survive.
Old July 18, 2002, 23:07   #8
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I believe embassies keep relations from slipping. Will will eventually need embassies, the problem is we can't tell who with. What is certain: They will be going up in prices, a LOT.

Out of everyone to get an embassy with, I think we should get one with the Aztecs. They are going to be huge, and we can't stop that. We can save cash now, however.
Old July 19, 2002, 00:43   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Yes. currently we have no idea whos at war with who, but we saw persian archers mucking around in german territory.

embassies would tell us whos at war with who, but i perosally never use them unless were in a wonder race (check turns left).

and we're not builfing the pyramids (Germany, England, Peria) or the Oracle (Babylon), so i see no reason to establish them. i vote no.
Old July 19, 2002, 02:21   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:35
Problem is : it's highly possible the Americans already have embassies, and use them to make alliances against us. Without embassies, it's impossible to us to make counter-alliances.
Old July 19, 2002, 03:11   #11
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Time for a noob question: does opening embassies make it easier to detect when AI civs go to war against each other? How do you tell? Cause it's looking like we're going to have to be very opportunistic to survive.
The answer is yes. When you have an embassy, you can determine the state of peace and war of a civ in the Foreign minister screen (F4), by activating the particular civ. A blue connection line to another civ means peace, a red one war and none means no contact yet. Also, you see existing alliances and get notified about new ones by a popup window. Embassies are a good source of information and make a civs mood toward you better.
Old July 19, 2002, 04:50   #12
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Group 1 - Yes, in any order, the foreign minister has the power to decide this.
Old July 19, 2002, 05:07   #13
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

If what Ralph says is true, then make SOME embassies with key (powerful) Civs. To see the relation between two civs, we only need an embassy in one of them...! Choosing the most powerful ones will positively affect their relationship towards us.
Old July 19, 2002, 05:22   #14
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 04:35
Opening embassies witht the most powerful civs, such as the Astecs. It would also be very beneficial to be able to see what the Americans have stationed inside Washington. So maybe building an embassy in America right before we invade would be a good idea.
Old July 19, 2002, 06:18   #15
badman
Warlord

i think we should open embassies with the persians and either the greeks or the germans, so we'll have two embassies
i think with two embassies we will still have enough gold
Old July 19, 2002, 08:45   #16
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

i doubt america has embassies. In my experience the ai doesnt build them until the early middle ages.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 19, 2002, 17:56   #17
Will 5001
Warlord

We only need to build embassies if we are going to use them, so how will we use then right now, are they any use?
Old July 19, 2002, 18:05   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

They last forever, so we might as well get at least a few. They'll probably be more expensive in the future.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 19, 2002, 18:26   #19
Robber Baron
Prince

Another argument for opening embassies now would be that we don't have any pressing need for our current hoard of gold: no techs we need to prosecute the coming war; no resources to buy; no massive upgrade projects on the near horizon....
Old July 19, 2002, 19:31   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
They last forever, so we might as well get at least a few. They'll probably be more expensive in the future.
probably not. they get cheaper over time (IIRC), and the AI will build them on their own if you wait long enough.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:47   #21
Epistax
Prince

uber/// "they get cheaper over time"??!?!

They get MORE expensive with every growth in population, and possibly culture, that the rival civilization has, and it never goes back down.

Right now every one of them cost less than 100$ Later on, all of them will be over $200
Old July 19, 2002, 19:56   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i never get them. the AI always gets them for me.

i figured as our empires connected (roads/harbors) they'd get cheaper.

guess im wrong :P
Old July 20, 2002, 12:56   #23
Harovan
staff

bump
Old July 20, 2002, 14:00   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

I thought that you could see relations between nations regardless of whether or not you had an embassy.
Old July 20, 2002, 15:03   #25
Harovan
staff

No. Only their relations to you, but not between AIs.
Old July 20, 2002, 16:22   #26
Kuciwalker
Deity

Oh. I always build embassies as soon as possible, so I didn't realize that.
Old July 20, 2002, 22:27   #27
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
They may be more expensive in the future, but I bet will be a hell of alot richer in the future too, so if that is the only justification for getting them, then I think we shant. As for getting them to see the defences of the capitol city, in my experience I am always so well prepared for war that regardless of what my enemies have defending their walls, those suckers are going down... too many times in the past i bit off more than i could chew, never will I make that same mistake again. In other words, I assure everyone, if we have enough units at the beginning of the invasion, then we won't need to spend our money on embassies. Once we get republic, it can go towards rushing units and structures - another perk of the Republic.

Kman
Old July 21, 2002, 00:02   #28
GoodFella
Warlord

Hmmm...yes build them with a few AI, not America though. As tempting as it would be to build one in Washington before the war to see what they have, is it really neccessary? We'll be declaring war anyways no matter what so I don't see the point of opening an embassy with America.
Old July 21, 2002, 03:22   #29
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Problem is : it's highly possible the Americans already have embassies, and use them to make alliances against us. Without embassies, it's impossible to us to make counter-alliances.
I agree 100%. We need to be prepared to have alliances or counter-alliances when we attack.

Also, learning if other civs are at war would be beneficial to our cause, depending on what civs are fighting. It could make our task easier or harder.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:27   #30
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Group 1: yes, in any order, etc. At least two embassies, we are going to war! And a dangerous and risky one, In the War Academy forums we can see how desperate our position are.

See http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56234