Old July 18, 2002, 22:18   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have to leave again...
on the 28th (a sunday). I would suggest that we just have EmperorMagnus take my place unless someone else really wanted to run against him, but he has not been active. ANyone interested in having the position after I leave?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 18, 2002, 22:22   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
Oh jeez.. we should just reschedule the elections so that you go away during campaigning, come back to win andplay your term, and then elections come up intime for you to go away again.
Old July 18, 2002, 22:27   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

if emperormagnus hadn't disappeeared there would be no problem

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old July 18, 2002, 22:41   #4
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I'm willing to take the position, but I just installed the 1.29 patch, and there might be a problem with that.
Old July 19, 2002, 08:44   #5
civman2000
Emperor

no, htere shouldnt. Only people who plan on being president or wnat to play along have to stick with 1.21

Old July 19, 2002, 08:54   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
To be honest, I would be ashamed to run for an office, if I knew before, that I can not do my job the full term.
Old July 19, 2002, 09:01   #7
civman2000
Emperor

yeah, i know, that's why at first i didnt want to run. But timeline convinced me that there would be no problem.

Old July 19, 2002, 10:14   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:35
Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
yeah, i know, that's why at first i didnt want to run. But timeline convinced me that there would be no problem.
That'll teach you to listen to him ever again.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:17   #9
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

And this is why I stubbornly abstained from that vote. I have full confidence in you, civman, just don't like having replacements chosen and not voted for...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 19, 2002, 12:41   #10
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
I say post here if you want the position. Then we have another vote like last month like we had with IE minister and VP. Just my 0.02

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 19, 2002, 15:00   #11
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Yes, there needs to be a vote.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:37   #12
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

If its Timeline's fault now, whose fault was it last time?

Can the banana take this position, or is he on vacation this month?
Old July 19, 2002, 17:07   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I think that this needs to be addressed. If one KNOWS they are not going to be around, they should not be allowed to run, or should have a running mate who will take their place when they DO leave. This will prevent much confusion down the road. Unexpected leaves will happen, but the President currently has power to appoint an emergency Minister to oversee that. Do I sense another amendment? Or I may be the only one who feels strongly on this.

As far as Timeline convincing someone to run, this is one of the areas where partisan politics can become a detriment. Was he more interested in the well-being of Apolytonia, or the DIA having another position? As I see it, civman was the best for the job, so I would trust that this is what Timeline was for, but IMO civman should have been disqualified for not being able to be around.

In all fairness to civman, though, he did not hide this during the election, he openly admitted he would not be around and was still voted in.

(just a note to civman: it took great restraint from my education and habits, but I managed not to capitolize the 'c' )

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 19, 2002, 17:45   #14
civman2000
Emperor

I agree there should be a vote. I was just thinking unless there are two people who really want the position it would be less time-consuming to let the person who wants it more have it.

Old July 19, 2002, 17:56   #15
Timeline
King

Oh yes, of course it is my fault that we will be left without a science advisor soon! And it is civman’s fault he must leave also, obviously! And the people, how could they ever have elected such a person?!

These statements above that I have just made are absurd and ridiculous. Everyone knew 2 things when going into this election:

1: civman2000 was the best person for the job
and 2: He would have to go soon

If you will remember, I made the following post on this subject:

“If, once elected, you want to appoint a deputy advisor, such as EmperorMagnus, that would be fine. The elected President could then allow him to take over once you leave (with a confirmation poll), thereby keeping everything moving smoothly.”

Now, this is a somewhat outdated statement, and there are now laws that can guide us here:

From CoL, regarding Resignations,
“The President shall establish an emergency member to take his/her place until a new election can be held, and a new person voted into office to finish the term.”

I suggest civman2000 steps down when he is ready to go, President Ninot selects someone to temporarily take the position (myself, Jonny, or anyone els willing), and then we should hold a quick election, consisting of two or more candidates, and that’s that.

Pretty painless and solves our problem.
Old July 19, 2002, 21:30   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
I hope we all agree that one of the least productive things we can do is blame our Ministers for every little thing. I do not recall any controversy at all over civman's election, when everyone knew he would not be around the whole term. We who voted for him either accepted this, were guilty of voting without reading the candidates' posts, or just did not think ahead.

I think in this case we can not blame Timeline for any of it. However, everyone must also accept that it is non-ideal to have candidates unable to complete their terms as often as we have experienced to date. We must, next elections, make sure we think long and hard about voting for a candidate who may leave early. If we are to accept this behaviour, we need to have some acceptable way around it - via appointee, the runner-up in the election or the VP taking that position whilst the elected official is away. We don't need to further clog up the Constitution with this either, just have an acceptable way of getting around it.

So, what do you say - have the VP take over? That is what they are there for. And if the VP is too busy, then we may need a snap election.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 19, 2002, 23:53   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I stated my aprehension in the election thread, and again here. It seems that I am the only one concerned about this, or the potential abuse of this assistant takin over, so I will shut my trap... For now.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 20, 2002, 01:16   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
Your points, as always, are intelligent and we all can take note from them. I wouldn't have thought about it at all if you hadn't posted, UnOrthO. But for the moment they are (somewhat) isolated incidents. It is where they become frequent that we need to worry. I have faith in the Ministers (at the moment ) - I hope it doesn't change, but it may.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 20, 2002, 02:10   #19
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

For an assistant, i assure you, I wont do anything dumb and appoint my horse (Caligula)

Who do you folk deem a good replacement? or, heres an idea, we know about exactly when CM is leaving, lets just plan an election that ends around when he is leaving, so we dont need any of this presidentially chosen assistant hoopla.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:15   #20
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Your points, as always, are intelligent and we all can take note from them. I wouldn't have thought about it at all if you hadn't posted, UnOrthO. But for the moment they are (somewhat) isolated incidents. It is where they become frequent that we need to worry. I have faith in the Ministers (at the moment ) - I hope it doesn't change, but it may.
Perhaps it is the reporter in me, but I always look at worse-case, and think we should plan for that. The current administration is worthy of trust, I am pointing out potential flaws to consider, not to be reflected on CM, Ninot, or any other current official.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 20, 2002, 07:46   #21
Timeline
King

What is the time period CM will be leaving Ninot?
Old July 20, 2002, 08:35   #22
civman2000
Emperor

My absence: Early morning 7/28-evening 8/11 (US time)