Old July 19, 2002, 07:21   #1
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WAR ACADEMY : The geography is with Apolytonia
In this overcrowded subcontinent, we are for a long time protected on three sides by the sea ; so we are in direct contact with only two civs whereas all others are potentially threatened by many more, except Persia.
The wars against France and America, whichever is the order, will be followed sooner or later by a war against the Greeks in order to reach the sea north of their position, and to gain control of the access to the southern part of the continent. Meantime, it will be absolutely necessary to built some kind of protection against instrusive units from the east, that is starting from the coast near Banana HQ to the north between us and the german, and ultimately till the coast.
Later it will be easy to block the access to and from the southern part of the continent in the narrow land separating it from the main part.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by DAVOUT; July 19, 2002 at 07:53.
Old July 19, 2002, 07:48   #2
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We should cleverly use the sea and buffer states to protect us from evil things.
Old July 19, 2002, 08:09   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

There's only one effective protection from evil things: Be the most evil.
Old July 19, 2002, 08:44   #4
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Sir Ralph: This has got to go in somebody's sig!
Old July 19, 2002, 08:53   #5
Edrix

Re: WAR ACADEMY : The geography is with Apolytonia
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
The wars against France and America, whichever is the order, will be followed sooner or later by a war against the Greeks in order to reach the sea north of their position, and to gain control of the access to the southern part of the continent.
Well, if we were planning on fighting the Greeks, we'd have to wait until we got a unit that could successfully kill Hoplites (such as Swordsmen), so we'd have to wait a bit (not like that shouldn't be a problem - the wars on our home front will keep us busy long enough).

Old July 19, 2002, 09:44   #6
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Well, I obviosly don't agree with that one.
Good line though...
Old July 19, 2002, 10:20   #7
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Guardian,

Difficult not to agree : he just describes WWII.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:58   #8
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
And that should also be the discription for the war on terrorism, unfortunately cant find anything to make our cruise missles get evil with...

Kman

As for using our continent to our advantage, I say after a quick brief victory over America, we should settle the open space to their NW. I agrre with uber that for now our little peninsula provides protection. As does the jungle around us. Unfortunately though the jungle negates our UU because the charots cant pass through without a road. What Luck!? However with some expansion beyond our jungle cradle, we should be alright. There is Lots of incence and further west grasslands for sprawling cities. There is also iron in that directon. To the open north of the 'incense valley is a ton of hills with lots of gold. A couple of cities over there would roll in the dough. Unfortunately, I think most of those areas I describe will be settled by our advisaries before we could sieze them with our own settlers.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:02   #9
trevor
Warlord

How astute of you DAVOUT, it is true the combination of jungle, civs, and water will shield us for a little while. Sadly that doesn't mean that we will always be protected. After our war, with America, we should continue a military build up and strike down the French. BTW I put Sir Ralph's quote in my sig, with his name next to it of course.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:16   #10
DAVOUT
King

Follow up

10 days have elapsed, and one thousand years in the game, and we can see interesting things.

With Tours and Avignon, France has almost cut off the Greeks from Minor Abananaba. And with Besancon at three tiles from Athenes, there are certainly questions raised around the Parthenon !

The Greeks have pushed Mycènes next to Del Monte and Philadelphia, which would make a rectification of boundary not to difficult if needed, and at least, w'll see where do they come from.

In the East, Munich created some inconvenience that will be offset by a new town between BananaHQ and the iron mine, until it is taken over by force or culture.

It seems that the northern people (Greek, German, Azteck and English, and of course American) will find extremely difficult the way to the south ocean. France has already access to both, North and South.

As the Greeks seems to have been outmanoeuvred by the Frenchies in the south, and by Apolytonia in the center, and since they have not yet their hoplites, they will probably expand along the northern coast.

Comments appreciated.

Last edited by DAVOUT; July 29, 2002 at 16:17.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:28   #11
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
*cough* united states policy *cough*
Old July 29, 2002, 14:45   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

The France have done exactly what I thought they would, and I can say that I'm quite happy about it.

France seems a natural extension of Apolytonia now doesn't it...

and granting us access to Abananaba Minor is another great reason for a war.
Old July 29, 2002, 16:16   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:36
But with only Archers, Horsemen and Spearmen (max attack 2), such a war would be an uphill battle. Does it concern no-one else that the Foreign Advisor tells us the French military is much stronger than the Americans at the time we attacked them?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 29, 2002, 16:24   #14
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:36
The Americans were weak an unprepared, the French won't be either, and France has access to both horses, and very soon, iron, and may quckly also gain access to extra reserves of both. Once they do, we can't really deny the French access to major resources and must fight an enemy with greater industry, pop. and resources than us.
The Greeks still get to expand northward, towards the ivory coast. I don't know how the A.I. thinks, but if I were greece, and we and France went to war, I would ally with France and get whatever chuncks of meaty bananas I could get, instead of facing a more powerful and closer foe.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 29, 2002, 17:27   #15
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
It concerns me a lot that the french are much stronger than we are (actually, about equal right now, but as they are stoping their expansion......)

Let us not focus on our next war at this time. Let us focus on our defence and our self improvements. Then, after upgrading our archers to longbowmen, our wariors to swordmen, and building an effective mobile (horse) force, and only then, should we look at our french holdings.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 29, 2002, 17:46   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
It concerns me a lot that the french are much stronger than we are (actually, about equal right now, but as they are stoping their expansion......)

Let us not focus on our next war at this time. Let us focus on our defence and our self improvements. Then, after upgrading our archers to longbowmen, our wariors to swordmen, and building an effective mobile (horse) force, and only then, should we look at our french holdings.
playing with 1.29 (which asses military strength CORRECTLY) i see this:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	france-weak.gif
Views:	82
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	20899  
Old July 29, 2002, 17:59   #17
BigRed515
Settler

Local Time: 04:36
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
The Americans were weak an unprepared, the French won't be either, and France has access to both horses, and very soon, iron, and may quckly also gain access to extra reserves of both. Once they do, we can't really deny the French access to major resources and must fight an enemy with greater industry, pop. and resources than us.
Which should be all the reason we need to hit them hard NOW before they can build up to the point where they can use superior resources to box us off from Abananaba Minor, as well as limiting the number of productive cities we would have in the case of either a Greek or German attack.

Right now, we have the means, we have the initiative, all we need is the will to cut one leg out from another rival while we are able.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:41   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
As someone mentioned in another thread, we could build a whole lot of Warriors and upgrade to Swordsmen. We have plenty of money, and Warriors are cheap.
Old August 9, 2002, 10:34   #19
DAVOUT
King

Follow up

Again, ten days in real life, but, this time, only four centuries have elapsed in the game.

On the Eastern Front, we are taking control of the strait between the Interior Sea and the south Ocean with a border of three cities. Now we are also in contact with the Brits and their city of Norwich. Berlin is at a few tiles of Norwich and Thebes. The Brits have also perfectly blocked the strait between the Interior Sea and the Eastern Ocean, and they have now only one more place for a city, between the Aztecs and the Germans.

The Germans have won the race for the city n° 1 and have settled Cologne; Boston is now in a difficult position, possibly not even connected to Chicago, and extremely difficult to defend.

The Aztecs are continuing the settlement of their corner with the city of Tzintzuntzen (3 spices?), along the eastern coast.

The Greeks have considered more urgent to settle Thessalonica, in the isle or peninsula on the other side of their channel than running to the Ivory Coast. It seems that Ephesus has deterred everybody to compete in this area.

With Grenoble, the French continue to establish themselves as the masters of Abananaba Minor, where we discover the surprise of the day: Smolensk is a Babylonian city ! To offset this loss, the Russians have founded Yakusk, but surprisingly, again, do not move toward the strait.

The Iroquois develop quietly St-Regis, on the sea side, opposite to Grenoble, and the Romans built two more cities, Byzantium and Lutetia, but do not yet seem interested by the strait as well.

The Germans, the Brits, the Persians and us in a very small and difficult area (mainly jungle and mountains) will certainly give rise to interesting events. A complete road net will be a decisive instrument in the outcome.

Who said this game was boring?