Old July 19, 2002, 09:18   #1
publius
Settler

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
paras
Is it just me, or are paratroopers kind of useless? That tech is pretty weak to begin with, but why would anyone build paratroopers over helicopters? The helicopters are reusable, and can operate without an airport in the city. Plus you could drop marines, which have a higher attack.

Is there any way to mod paratroopers so they're more useful? Maybe they'll be able to drop out of any airbase in the exp? I wish you could launch them from any square with an aircraft carrier.
Old July 19, 2002, 11:26   #2
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well remember paras in CivII ? They weren't that powerful either but they at least had a obvious use in capturing unprotected towns.

A strategy that I use with paras in CivIII is to drop them en masse behind enemy lines. I drop them relatively close to say a landing area in the hopes the AI will concentrate on attacking the paras and leave my landing force alone. Usually works quite well. The more defenders you can lure away from your landing party the greater the chance your landing force will survive.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:45   #3
Nilat
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
King

Yeah i liked paras in civII but they are lousy protectors!!
Old July 19, 2002, 12:55   #4
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 20:36
I drop them on AI luxeries, strategic goods, and peninsulas where they can pillage and put cities into civil disorder.
Old July 19, 2002, 13:55   #5
publius
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
I drop them on AI luxeries, strategic goods, and peninsulas where they can pillage and put cities into civil disorder.
This seems liek a good idea, but again, why not just use helicopters, which are reusable and let you drop marines or infantry? Plus helicopters can launch from any city, not just one with an airport.
Old July 19, 2002, 14:16   #6
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Paras have further range. (8 vs 2) And its cheaper to build one para, then 1 chopper and one marine. of course, if you dont send in relief to help them, then you're screwed. I dont know if this works, but can you drop paras, pillage, then load them on a chopper?
Old July 19, 2002, 15:02   #7
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
I dont know if this works, but can you drop paras, pillage, then load them on a chopper?
No, unfortunately when you use a helicopter to drop any unit that ends the units' turn. However I think you can airdrop a para from a city with an airport and then he can pillage on the same turn.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:03   #8
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Silli me. I knew that. I guess I was just dreaming . Also, I just tried it out and Paras cannot move after they land. Not sure about pillaging, but I'm sure that they cannot move or attack. If they could attack or move, it would make them more valuable.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:31   #9
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stalin II
Yeah i liked paras in civII but they are lousy protectors!!
Typically, Civ 2 again is seen to have had a better feature, in this case with paras.

In Civ 2 paratroops were especially useful owing to the geography: more small overseas territories and islands. There are a lot less of those in Civ 3, unfortunately. So we use paras less.

Realistically, they WERE poor on defense and never mean to operate totally independently of main force military units (hence the name "para").
Old July 20, 2002, 05:43   #10
HazieDaVampire
King

i did a full on D-day invasion, The Paras went in, waited a turn, the AI ran some people over to them, and my marines ran up the citys beaches and took the citys!
Old July 22, 2002, 08:20   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
i did a full on D-day invasion, The Paras went in, waited a turn, the AI ran some people over to them, and my marines ran up the citys beaches and took the citys!
That's the way to use 'em boys!!!
Old July 22, 2002, 10:05   #12
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 06:36
A strategy I have been thinking of but never got in an appropriate situation to try, is to bomb a city on a nearby island to ruins, then send in the paras to grab it. But if you have transports, MI and MA would do the job better.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:45   #13
HazieDaVampire
King

i've now gave paras some extra attack points!
Old July 22, 2002, 15:16   #14
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Try giving them extra movment and see if they can pillage on the turn that they land.
Old July 24, 2002, 13:38   #15
johncmcleod
Prince

Yes, paratroopers should be better. I have figured out a way to use them well. Look at my thread at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54848
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau