Old July 19, 2002, 11:46   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How Sid will save the world (or a genre) – Apoc tells what Sid's next game could be
There has been much speculation about the next game from Firaxis, especially now that we know they have licensed the highly acclaimed NetImmerse engine. Since that information discovered the titles like SMAC 2, Pirates! 2, and Colonization 2 have all come up. The problem with those titles is that they typically aren’t what the NetImmerse engine is used for. That engine has been used in games like Freedom Force and Morrowind, games with RPG elements.

Now, there has only been one game that Firaxis has been rumored to be producing that would fit that description. It is something that I brought up a while back. About five months ago, there were reports that Firaxis acquired the X-COM license. Even though I brought it to the attention of the ACS community, I believed these reports to be false. Firaxis even denied it. I have since lost all my “spies” from my days at SidGames so I little chance of confirming it. I basically just forgot about it until the news of the engine was released.

I decided to do a little investigating. Soon after I began, to my dismay, I got hard confirmation that Firaxis did not gain the license. Still, I decided to investigate further. I found the truth about the whole situation. It was an evil government, I mean Firaxis, cover-up.

Not all my contacts in the gaming industry have left me. A guy I know who is close to Mike (from Mythos - X-COM UFO/TFTD Developer) gave further confirmation that Firaxis does not have the X-COM license. He did this in a way no one else did. Apparently Firaxis did try to buy the license. Mythos is currently working on another X-COM title though, so this did not work out. So, you are probably thinking we are back to square one - far from it.

Sid likes to make demos of various ideas before they go to full development of a game. In theory, he would have already had written some code for this X-COM game before they decided to buy the license. Sid has been known for scrapping ideas if he doesn’t like them, so this further supports that Firaxis had some X-COM game in the works. I believe that Firaxis did not decide to just scrap this idea though. Firaxis probably would not have enough time between the announcement that they tried to buy the rights and the announcement that they would use a 3D engine to make a whole new title.

The idea for the X-COM game was that it would be like a cross between X-COM and Settlers II. This would make it significantly different from the previous X-COM games (though still keeping in the spirit). That way it wouldn’t be too hard just to call it something else. The NetImmerse engine would also be perfect for this type of game. I tell you friends, this is more important than you realize.

Fans of various forgotten genres, such as the Space Combat Simulation, have always hoped Sid would come along and revive their genre. There is one genre that is in desperate need of help. I’m talking about the turn based RPG. Many X-COM fans were ecstatic when they heard the news that Firaxis might have acquired the X-COM license because they would finally have another X-COM game that isn’t some horrible spin-off. These people trust in Sid because they remember him being popular from the advertisements in their X-COM boxes. This was also largely because people have been awaited a great selling turn based RPG to come along. First I want to mention there is no word that this will be turn based. I am only going on the fact that Firaxis likes strategy and turn based systems and it is hard to have their level of strategy in a real time game. First, people at Interplay have stated that they will not make a Fallout 3 right now because the higher-ups think it will sell bad. If they see a best selling turn based RPG, they said they’d change their minds. Jagged Alliance III, though back in production, faces financing problems and support for it might dwindle for the same reasons there is no Fallout 3. Games like Lionheart are being made solely real time because marketers don’t think turn based systems will sell. This game from Firaxis can very well be what fans of this genre are waiting for. Sid will be hailed as a savior of a dying genre.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 19, 2002, 12:23   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hope very much that you're right ... turn-based RPG's very very badly need to be revived.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:24   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Well I hope I am too. I'm continuing my investigation. Maybe this can be brought up in the chat today too.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 19, 2002, 12:29   #4
rflagg
Settler

HAPPY BIRTHDAY APOC!!!!! Have a great 18th!!! Have a bite of cake and ice cream for me!

-Rflagg
Old July 19, 2002, 12:32   #5
Apocalypse
Emperor

Thanks But wrong topic.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:44   #6
Zealot
King

Local Time: 05:37
Apoc, it's a pleasure to have you here at Apolyton.
Loved your piece of work.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Last edited by Zealot; July 19, 2002 at 12:53.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:50   #7
ZenCTP
Settler

A turn-based RPG with a kick-butt 3D engine would be great to see.

I just wonder if in this increasingly short-attention-span, instant-gratification-oriented society the gamers will sit still that long .
Old July 19, 2002, 12:51   #8
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
Apoc, it's a pleasure to have you here at Apolyton.
Loved your piece of work.
Thanks

I always feel the need to contribute in this community.

Last edited by Apocalypse; July 19, 2002 at 12:57.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:53   #9
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ZenCTP
I just wonder if in this increasingly short-attention-span, instant-gratification-oriented society the gamers will sit still that long .
I believe they'll be able to. There can be a lot of waiting during Civ3 between turns.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:54   #10
Zealot
King

Local Time: 05:37
Apoc, could you please correct the typo in my quote?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old July 19, 2002, 14:40   #11
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Great... Now if only someone found a way to revive the good old adventure games...
Old July 19, 2002, 17:19   #12
Apocalypse
Emperor

[16:13] {ACS_MarkG} Jeff: how about X-COM (it's the latest prediction) then? just to make Apocalypse happy
[16:14] {Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS} Markg: We're working on a japanese dating simulator (thanks Tim Train)

Dodging the question.

Bah, I have a plan to get this title confirmed in another way. What I really care about is assurance it will be turn-based if it does exist.
Old July 19, 2002, 22:28   #13
Apocalypse
Emperor

From a recent (today) interview with Jeff Briggs
Quote:
Fallowing on the success of Civ 3, what's next for Firaxis?

JB: You know I can’t be too forthcoming here… :-), But I can say that we are working on a multi-player version of Civ III that is really fun and solves many of the problems that turn-based MP games have traditionally suffered. After that… well Sid is always working to bring new concepts to the computer -- we have many prototypes vying for completion. And we may look at bringing some new life to some older titles we developed years ago.
Well, we know that at least one prototype (probably the game I'm talking about) has been choosen because of NetImmerse. "some older titles we developed years ago" could include X-COM, since Microprose worked on that game.
Old July 20, 2002, 01:11   #14
tniem
King

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is X-Com and what type of game will this be?
Old July 20, 2002, 01:18   #15
Apocalypse
Emperor

X-COM is a series about humans defending against aliens. The part of the series the Firaxis game would be based on is the first three. These are squad based combat games. Much like Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics. These games have also been called strategy RPGs.

I don't really know what type of game this will be, just that it will be a cross between X-COM and Settlers.
Old July 20, 2002, 07:50   #16
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:37
Apoc, thanks for telling me before posting it here .

I bet Sid is going to create something new out of X-COM and Settlers, more than a cross of the two.

Firaxis always dodges questions - read between the lines.
Old July 20, 2002, 09:05   #17
tniem
King

Apoc nice work and thanks for the info about X-Com.

So who does have the license for X-Com? Is this something where Firaxis can work with either EA or Infogrames that they already have a relationship with? Or is it a new publisher they will work with?

Sidenote question: Is Firaxis still going to attempt the two projects simultaneously as before? I would assume so because they are working on PTW and this X-Com or whatever game. But is the PTW team that big?
Old July 20, 2002, 11:10   #18
Apocalypse
Emperor

Solver, you do seem to know more about what is going on than most. I am reading between the lines. Jeff didn't deny it but we already know that they went after the license. I know he can't say anything of substance because of an NDA.

I use to have people I could get direct information from, but I always had to keep their trust. I have none of those types of people now so all of you get to know what I know as soon as I know it.

tniem, Infograms apparently still has it thought it is being used by Mythos. I'd have thought they'd be happy about two new great X-COM games in the works, but for some reason they aren't. Possibly because Sid's might overshadow Mythos'. Also, I'm guessing that Firaxis might actually have three groups right now. One small team on PTW, about half of Firaxis working on the X-COM/Settlers game, and another smaller team working on one or more prototypes. I do not believe the PTW team is that big because the SMACX team didn't include all of the old SMAC team.
Old July 20, 2002, 11:25   #19
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

I'm just thinking about what Firaxis says too much. I remember my last 10 months of screaming they're making SMAC 2, based on three words dropped by one of Firaxians:

Quote:
You never know
Old July 20, 2002, 11:57   #20
Apocalypse
Emperor

Hmmm, well you are still smarter than most here.

The first phase of my plan is almost completed - search message boards and newsgroups for info. I should be able to launch the next phase of my plan later today. It should bring in more information for me to post tommarow.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:54   #21
Solver
lifer
Deity

In what way I am?
Old July 20, 2002, 13:18   #22
Apocalypse
Emperor

It's not that it is that hard, have you seen the OT forum lately?

It is easy to tell by you posts and that you like the X-Files.
Old July 20, 2002, 15:21   #23
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

[quote]I hope very much that you're right ... turn-based RPG's very very badly need to be revived./quote]
What about Heroes of Might and Magic IV?
Or Warlords V (In progress of being made, I believe)
Those are turn-based RPGs and very good series.
Old July 20, 2002, 15:24   #24
Apocalypse
Emperor

I'm talking about games like X-COM, Jagged Alliance, and Fallout. Heroes of M&M and Warlords are similar, but not enough to be considered in the same genre.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:45   #25
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Sid Meier's Fallout 3.

*a really confusing dream*
Old July 23, 2002, 18:05   #26
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
[16:14] {Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS} Markg: We're working on <b>a japanese dating simulator</b> (thanks Tim Train)
YESSSS!
Old July 23, 2002, 19:00   #27
Apocalypse
Emperor

I vaguely remember something about Tim Train and Japanese dating sims back in the day.
Old July 27, 2002, 12:50   #28
Apocalypse
Emperor

Sorry I haven't come up with news sooner. It has been a little slow.

People were complaining about wanting a new X-COM game at the Infograms forums. Infograms responded with this.
Quote:
Infogrames Is Listening

I hear you guys......and have sent your concerns to the appropriate folks here.
Far more importantly, I think I may have found what game kept Firaxis from aquiring the X-COM license. X-COM Alliance. Now, you are probably thinking, "X-COM Alliance? That was canned. Will, you are losing it." This web page is new. They also have a link to buy the game. This could mean X-COM Alliance is back in production.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:58   #29
tniem
King

So Apoc, if Firaxis could not get the license and it appears that another game may be producing it, do you still believe Sid is working on it? I do not doubt his wishes to after all that you have said. But I wonder how likely it is that he is able to make this game if their is another X-Com game in the pipeline.
Old July 27, 2002, 20:16   #30
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, if it is Alliance (which I heavily doubt actually) then the X-COM game would be an FPS, not a traditional X-COM game.

Also, since this game would be in 3D and contain some Settlers like elements, it should be different enough.

Furthermore, this genre is dry. There use to be Fallout and Jagged Alliance to fill the void. Fallout seems to be dead and no one knows for sure if Jagged Alliance III will be released.

With all this, you could be correct and they may not be making this game. I'm only gathering information and making educated guesses.