Old July 19, 2002, 14:28   #1
Nilat
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AAAARGH!! IM gonna get crazy of those darn french!
Im just playing peacfully civ3 and suddenly a french settler appears next to my border and i though he will just pass, BUT he made city right there!!! and a little later a french ship came on my main island (where my capital is and so on) and unloaded a settler and a pikeman, and the french made a city right there. (By the way there was only 1 empty spot in my main island that wasnt my territory! ) I think it should be that you cant make a city RIGHT next to an enemy border (or peacfull)! I think a 2 block radius of the border would be good. Don't you agree?:
Old July 19, 2002, 14:32   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm tempted to agree with you, although a simple solution to the second settler is to park a warrior in such open spots. But don't fret, just culture flip them. I think of such things as free cities.
Old July 19, 2002, 14:33   #3
ACooper
Prince

No. I use this same tactic against the AI all the time. It's either your territory or it's not. If it's not then they cn use it.
Old July 19, 2002, 14:35   #4
Nilat
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
King

yeah i know that but sometimes they put a city 3 blocks away from another city of yours! And I cant put units beside the HOLE border!
Old July 19, 2002, 14:36   #5
Nilat
King

Acooper that true and i have to accept the truth
Old July 19, 2002, 15:50   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

The solution is to have high culture. Their little town will be yours before long. Or park 23 veteran knights next to it open the diplomacy window with Joan.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:26   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

whats that do?
Old July 19, 2002, 20:55   #8
The_Hawk
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:37
It gets Joan in awe of your manly, testosterone army and maybe out of sheer attraction, she'll think twice about doing it again.
Old July 19, 2002, 22:28   #9
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 21:37
If I see some other stupid AI civs trying to build cities in territories I want, I generally wack them. 2 free workers and one wasted enemy unit are very satisfying.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:51   #10
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 17:37
I find the ineffective borders a right nuisance. Then again the only thing that is worse than the AI when it comes to putting cities in tiny little gaps is me. And I always steal the AI's resources by doing it.

In one game I had a tiny little "punk" city (as I like to call them) in gem-mountains at the top of the persian empire. It was built on a hill, had a habor (later airport) and was stuffed full of military units (atleast 10) and had a fort+more units on the gems. It never flipped (despite only having 3 worked tiles) and gave me gem access for the whole game, the persians never even attacked it (probably because it was stuffed so full of units ). I use this strategy all the time to aquire resources without asking nicely, just remember, no hole is too small to stick a city in

That said, I think city radius's should extend one further when it comes to founding cities, ie you cant found a city if any of it's initial worked tiles will be in another civs territory.
Old July 20, 2002, 01:28   #11
khyron
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
I use this strategy all the time to aquire resources without asking nicely
I use it to acquite cities without asking nicely. What can I do, I'm a Babylonian Culture Hog surrounded by an AI that finds itself content with eating books and picking its nose all day for mental and spiritual fulfillment.

Quote:
That said, I think city radius's should extend one further when it comes to founding cities, ie you cant found a city if any of it's initial worked tiles will be in another civs territory.
A decent enough compromise if it's enough of an annoyance to you. My philosophy is that if you can't deal with a "peaceful invasion", make sure all the holes are covered. Like Acooper said, it's yours, or it's not.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:14   #12
Nilat
King

And the french put there citys like 3 blocks away from each other And cause otto von bismark is militaristic I have ALOT of units! I have very many knights and in every city there 5 musketmen
Old July 20, 2002, 05:01   #13
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:37
Am I just playing too much or do I remember correctly that in some previous versions of Civ3 I was sometimes getting a message saying that placing a city there and there (usually just outside the enemy border) would cause a war with the said civ? I do realize it no longer happens, but was it so in the past?
Old July 20, 2002, 08:56   #14
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:37
Take some tips from the AI, its not a bad strategy.

In a game Greece was on an island connected to the mainland - which it then began to expand into. I just built a city on one free square around the bottleneck and eventually split them in two. Made em MUCH easier to annihilate later.

Remember to build culture though
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 20, 2002, 11:14   #15
khyron
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Am I just playing too much
I think we'd all have to plead guilty to that one.

Quote:
do I remember correctly that in some previous versions of Civ3 I was sometimes getting a message saying that placing a city there and there (usually just outside the enemy border) would cause a war with the said civ?
I don't remember this, unless it was with a significantly earlier version where I hadn't mastered all the nuances of the game and tried out such things yet. I don't think I've had a problem with that myself.

*thinks aloud* Mastered the nuances? Bah. Who am I kidding?
Old July 20, 2002, 16:07   #16
Nilat
King

My sister does the same. But she does it in civ2. shes the CRAPPIEST player of civs in the world!!
makes settlers like hell and doesnt do wonders
Old July 20, 2002, 18:30   #17
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
Here's one of the things I like to do to those pesky french. Go here: http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/Joansglowingpersonality.htm
Old July 21, 2002, 02:07   #18
Nilat
King

How can you do that

by the way that look cool
Old July 21, 2002, 09:48   #19
King of Rasslin
Prince

"My sister does the same. But she does it in civ2. shes the CRAPPIEST player of civs in the world!!
makes settlers like hell and doesnt do wonders"

I make a ton of settlers for ICS, and wonders are not as good as a few good knights. I think you could learn a few things from your sister.
Old July 21, 2002, 14:17   #20
Nilat
King

I make tons of settlers, but in the beggining!! But those damn other civs are making them so fast!