Old July 19, 2002, 18:03   #1
pat46
Settler

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
finally one more turn good?
hi

i was advised to hold off buying civ3 till the final patch or the expansion comes..

with all the patches out now do you guys think it has the one more turn fun factor like we all wanted.?

Pat
Old July 19, 2002, 18:19   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: finally one more turn good?
Quote:
Originally posted by pat46
hi

i was advised to hold off buying civ3 till the final patch or the expansion comes..

with all the patches out now do you guys think it has the one more turn fun factor like we all wanted.?

Pat
If you haven't tried it yet, how do you know it didn't already have that quality? I guess you're just going to have to try it and see whether you like or not.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:26   #3
pat46
Settler

HI

didn't buy it yet because the consensus on this very forum was to hold off.percentile was around 86% to hold off or wait for expansion.

i trust player reviews more than game spot

tom
Old July 19, 2002, 18:37   #4
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
You weren't listening to coracle were you?
Old July 19, 2002, 18:40   #5
pat46
Settler

hi

it's been since the first patch so i'm not sure who he is.

pat
Old July 19, 2002, 18:40   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Go for it... the game's great.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:51   #7
pat46
Settler

hi

i'm going to get this evening.......not many games run on my amd450 cpu anymore but this should.
i'll admit i've bought way more games than i can afford

pat
Old July 19, 2002, 19:00   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I run it on a P-3 500, so you should be OK. Stay away from Huge maps, and turn off some of the unit animations.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 19, 2002, 20:31   #9
Venger
King

Local Time: 22:38
It's a decent game, and now with the editor finally in what I consider a post-beta state, you can fix some of the goofier things in the game (combat, corruption, unit strengths, resources...). I'd say at this point you should get it, but don't pay more than $30 for it.

I am approaching the point of feeling Civ3 is the best Civ game, but far from what I hoped - adding some of Civ2 and SMAC would have cinched it ages ago...

Venger
Old July 19, 2002, 21:03   #10
Rust
Chieftain

Isn't that what it had cost at release, 50$ Canadian is what I payed. I enjoy it more than Civ2 since the 1.21 patch.
Old July 19, 2002, 21:48   #11
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
I've thought Civ 3 was "one more turn good" since the beginning, and I've lost the sleep to prove it. But it's been getting better with every patch, and the new patch shows every sign of providng still more improvement. (The one possible exception to "better every patch" is 1.17f, which was better in some ways and worse in others. I personally regard it as a step mostly sideways but a little bit forward overall. And I haven't tried the new patch yet; I have a couple 1.21f games to finish first.)

Offhand, the only reason I can think of not to go ahead and buy Civ 3 (aside maybe from waiting for the price to come down) is if you think you'd get bored with it quickly and you'd rather play the best version possible until that time comes. Otherwise, waiting just means you miss out on a really good game because you're waiting for a slightly better version to come out. In my view, it's better to enjoy the game from the beginning and take added pleasure as various improvements make it better.

Nathan
Old July 19, 2002, 21:52   #12
Rust
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
In my view, it's better to enjoy the game from the beginning and take added pleasure as various improvements make it better.

Nathan
Yes dude, you only have so much time in this world, hesitate no more.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:21   #13
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
Go for it! You will like it, I am almost sure...

Some time ago, I posted a poll asking whether people liked Civ3 and enjoyed it or not. You may wish to have a look at the results here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54470
Old July 20, 2002, 04:31   #14
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
You weren't listening to coracle were you?
If he was he was wise indeed.

The computer gaming "reviews" have been revealed to be a farce. Back in December before even the first patch they gave a messy beta game glowing reviews. So I'd never waste my time with reviews again as they are written by Industry shills.

As for this game, after 1.29 it is now, eight months after initial release, a viable product. We the consumers performed the roles of beta testers for Firaxis at $50 a pop. But, again, now the game is finally viable.

That doesn't mean you'll like it. There are still many aspects that are annoying, stupid, and non-historical. The worst being Culture Flipping. Naval warfare is another joke.

So whether you'll like it or not I can't say; that is subjective on your part. But at least now if you get it for $34.95 you won't be ripped off, as we were last December at $50 a shot.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:43   #15
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
As for this game, after 1.29 it is now, eight months after initial release, a viable product. We the consumers performed the roles of beta testers for Firaxis at $50 a pop. But, again, now the game is finally viable.

That doesn't mean you'll like it. There are still many aspects that are annoying, stupid, and non-historical. The worst being Culture Flipping. Naval warfare is another joke.

So whether you'll like it or not I can't say; that is subjective on your part. But at least now if you get it for $34.95 you won't be ripped off, as we were last December at $50 a shot.
Oh, my God... things will never be the same again... I have seen Coracle say something (and it is quite a something!) nice about Civ3 with my own eyes!!!

Old July 20, 2002, 04:55   #16
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Just BTW... this is nothing that would be happening in the gaming industry only (and let's face the facts: most games are released with various bugs and problems later fixed by downloadable patches; Civ3 was not an exception in this aspect).

If you buy a whole new model of a car, you are likely to be a beta-tester, too, as only real people using it every day discover various hidden problems not found during the factory tests. The models being in production for two or three years are usually the best ones, as they have their "childborn" problems already solved.

You pay 50 bucks for being able to play a game from the very beginning (and in this very case, take part in the great evolution and improvement of Civ3 that the consequent patches have been - once again, hats off to Firaxis for their outstanding support. They listen to us, they really do...).

If even Coracle considers Civ3 "viable" (at $34.95, that is), then you must understand that it is one hell of a game!
Old July 20, 2002, 07:33   #17
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:38
Er, guys?

Pat'o hasn't posted back, I think you convinced him. He's probably running to store already
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 20, 2002, 09:09   #18
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

If even Coracle considers Civ3 "viable" (at $34.95, that is), then you must understand that it is one hell of a game!
So now what are all the flamers supposed to do with their time?
Old July 20, 2002, 12:40   #19
pat46
Settler

hi

i'm having to much fun playing

pat
Old July 20, 2002, 19:16   #20
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:

If he was he was wise indeed.

The computer gaming "reviews" have been revealed to be a farce. Back in December before even the first patch they gave a messy beta game glowing reviews. So I'd never waste my time with reviews again as they are written by Industry shills.

This should be a news item!! MARC!!!

and a great compliment to firaxis IMO
Old July 20, 2002, 22:37   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by pat46
hi

i'm having to much fun playing

pat
Hey, Coracle, it seems that pat was not so wise...

Keep civin'...
Old July 21, 2002, 08:10   #22
The Pioneer
Prince

I'go and buy the game asap. I rushed out and bought the game on the first day that it was out here in Germany. I never felt that I was ripped of and the patches that game after the game was releasd only show how much Firaxis listen to constructive criticism here and at Civ Fanatics.

Although I must admit that I do not play the game very often, I tend to stay away because once I start I do forget my wife, work and sports .

I played Civ 2 for about 5 years and I am planning to play Civ 3 for a long time.

Enjoy
Old July 21, 2002, 08:22   #23
Jac de Molay
Prince

I think this guy pat writes suspiciously like panaq . Like what somebody said before, hold off til it goes down in price a bit. Get Moo 3
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 21, 2002, 20:47   #24
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
I think this guy pat writes suspiciously like panaq . Like what somebody said before, hold off til it goes down in price a bit. Get Moo 3
don't get to paranoid, 1 panag is more then enough

btw/ PANAG I EUGH LIKE YOU
just cut your sig in half , please