Old July 19, 2002, 18:56   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1.29 chat : the most interesting info
In this chat, Firaxians talked more freely than before, esp. about PtW. We got some interesting info about PtW and the patch, which weren't written in the readme.txt

My favourites are :
- According to Jeff, unit-trading is "medium-high" on the wishlist. However, it has not yet been decided if it will be implemented for sure.
- The military advisor now assess strentgh the same way the AI does - by relative strengths and weaknesses of individual units.
- Medieval infantry's adm are constantly tweaked, but are 4/2/1 for now.
- missed naval bombardments will show in PtW : water spouts
- Added existing deals to the foreign advisor screens, which saves a lot of unnecessary communicating..
- PtW will feature rally points ala Starcraft
- There are no plans to change expansionist traits
- The corruption modofier of commercial trait affects shields as well as commerce
- FP doubles the # of optimal cities under communism

AI tweaks :
- The AI values techs higher, so there would be less trading
- The AI will go build UN and Spaceship more agressively
- The AI is more willing to build factories and alike
- The AI values optional techs more in 1.29 than in 1.21

And the SUPER DUPER thing :
Quote:
another change I should mention is that tech cost is now constant across difficulty levels, so Deity so no longer be (quite) the tech race it has been [...]let me rephrase. In 1.21 and earlier, a tech cost the AI 6 and the human 10 under Deity. With 1.29, techs cost the AI 10 and the human ~15 under Deity.
This will change the tech race drastically : it will stop being too slow at lower levels and too fast at thigher levels. That combined with the lowered willingness of the AI to trade techs, and research now has a meaning at Emperor / Deity ! However, Soren warns us these changes are theoretical. Some game balancing is likely to be done when PtW is released.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:01   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yeah, it was great. There was a lot of other good intel... can;t wait to see an edited transcript.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:06   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

A couple other things:

Diplomacy is on the PtW wishlist.

The units AI are either set permanently to offensive or defensive status... they can't switch back and forth.

That's about all the other important things I remember.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:28   #4
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:38
Diplomacy on the wishlist? What sort of dimplomacy? More pact agreements? And what about forced diplomacy for scenarios?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 19, 2002, 19:36   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

No forced diplomacy in the patch. It's on the wishlist for PtW (like scenario events)

However, thewishlist seems to be incredibly long, and its priorities change as the deadline approaches. When something is on the ishlist, it means Firaxians acknowledge it's a good idea, but don't know if they have enough time and money to implement it.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:25   #6
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which of these relate to PTW, and which to the patch. Does the forbidden palace have that effect right now or in PTW? AI behaviors, etc.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:32   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

IIrc: AI behavior is included in patch.

Don't know about FP for communism
Old July 20, 2002, 00:40   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

They're all for this patch.
Old July 20, 2002, 01:03   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:38
Aren't you?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 20, 2002, 05:20   #10
zulu9812
King

Re: 1.29 chat : the most interesting info
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
So Communism becomes even more of a 'super' government. Honestly, I can't see any reason for sticking with democracy, even with the +1 work bonus.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 20, 2002, 06:53   #11
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
Thanks for the info, I can't believe I forgot about the chat cause I was busy playing with the editor :P
Old July 20, 2002, 07:56   #12
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:38
Craaaap! I got a new Stephen King book yesterday and forgot there's a chat!
Old July 20, 2002, 08:24   #13
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:38
Better hope its a good read.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
The units AI are either set permanently to offensive or defensive status... they can't switch back and forth.
That doesn't sound good, don't want to limit the AI even more. Better not touch those.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 20, 2002, 13:00   #14
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
That doesn't sound good, don't want to limit the AI even more. Better not touch those.
Soren said that much of the stuff regarding that was hard-coded, and changing it would take an entire patch... and it will still act the same (after all, you can un-hard-code it, but that doesn't mean it would chnage), so don't plan on that changing. At least that shows why some AI units will be brain-dead, while others will go on suicidal charges.
Old July 20, 2002, 16:48   #15
player1
Emperor

Quote:
And the SUPER DUPER thing :
This will change the tech race drastically : it will stop being too slow at lower levels and too fast at thigher levels. That combined with the lowered willingness of the AI to trade techs, and research now has a meaning at Emperor / Deity ! However, Soren warns us these changes are theoretical. Some game balancing is likely to be done when PtW is released.

I think I know the REAL reason for this.

In Civ2 & Civ1 different diffculty levels had different number of turns per game. So turn increments were slower at chief. then on deity.

BUT, Civ3 doesn't have that feature.
Which gived riduculus results, like being unable to make Spaceship on easiest level, while on emperor that happens in 1500AD.

So since it looks like turn increment are hardcoded (there is not such feature in new editor to change), they though that this is best way to fix situation in some way.

And I agree with their decision.

It also fixes the way how AI vaules tech too.
And that's good thing too.
Old July 20, 2002, 17:11   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think the units AI are either set permanently to offensive or defensive status... they can't switch back and forth had to do with the AI upgrading units.

If I am correct, as the AI builds units they are built for a role on a unit by unit basis. So when it builds 10 Riflemen, 8 may be for defensive use and 2 for offensive. When they upgrade in 1.21, the unit can switch from defensive to offensive. That can result in the AI being swamped with 'offensive' foot units and not building fast units.

With 1.29, that role is frozen when the unit is built. Thus we should see more AI cav and tanks.

Someone who knows better may correct me if I have got this wrong.
Old July 20, 2002, 17:14   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

BTW. If I am correct, this would be a very good reason to not let sword and long bow upgrade to infantry in mods. Again, the AI could end up swamped with slow offensive forces.
Old July 20, 2002, 21:52   #18
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:38
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
BTW. If I am correct, this would be a very good reason to not let sword and long bow upgrade to infantry in mods. Again, the AI could end up swamped with slow offensive forces.
No! I hate those things remaining on the menu when you have tanks and bombers!

But if what you said is true... has anyone played a full regular game yet? I hope the AI is building more offensive units!
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 20, 2002, 23:21   #19
notyoueither
Deity

Of course, if you don't allow them to upgrade to Marines or some such, the AI my end up with a bunch of useless foot sloggers. I thought of that later.

Does anyone know if the AI disbands some older units as it can build newer ones?
Old July 21, 2002, 02:02   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:38
Let's see, Swords upgrade to Assault Infantry, Assault Infantry upgrade to Tanks.
Longbows upgrade to ..., uh, (well, you get the idea) ....

Now all someone has to do is make up the stats and graphics for the Assualt Infantry, ....
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 21, 2002, 03:40   #21
player1
Emperor

Ehh, but in my MOD attack of rifle is 5 and attack of Infantry is 8.

So they can be used in attack.
Old July 21, 2002, 03:44   #22
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 23:38
Sorry I couldn't make this one guys, I had to work. You know if I was there I would have squeezed some spicy tidbits out of them.
Old July 21, 2002, 05:12   #23
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:

. . .- missed naval bombardments will show in PtW : water spouts

. . . - There are no plans to change expansionist traits

. . .- The AI is more willing to build factories and alike

. . .-This will change the tech race drastically. . .
Oh, goody. Graphic waterspouts.

Settler Diarrhea - the crazy flood of AI settlers flooding our territory and encroaching our borders - will continue.

Oh, the AI now will have to build factories to get factory-level production instead of CHEATING and getting that production WITHOUT the factories? Great. Now let's end all the other AI cheats, too.

Tech race? How about ending the AI cheating there, also.

And Firaxis remains determined to force that idiotic Culture Flipping on us, but do nothing about allowing privateers and subs to attack trade routes; or even do something as simple as allow us to sort city names alphabetically, or give bombers a range greater than '8'

Nor will they give us back a Cheat Mode as was in Civ 2, or whatever to allow us to switch sides, control accelerated startups, and do other things to minimize tedium and have FUN.

How about doing something about the AI that gangs up on the human with little tricks such as sacrificing one smaller civ to attack the human and basically committ suicide to help the other AI civs catch up? Reputation is another fraud; I am tired of being blamed forever for stuff I never did.

Firaxis' obstinate obsession with Culture Flipping has become a truly bizarre fixation. The concept is bad enough, but it is implemented in ways that are stupid and profoundly irritating.

You guys have a ways to go before you get my thirty bucks for PTW.
Old July 21, 2002, 05:57   #24
=DrJambo=
Prince

Quote:

My favourites are :
- The military advisor now assess strentgh the same way the AI does - by relative strengths and weaknesses of individual units.
- Medieval infantry's adm are constantly tweaked, but are 4/2/1 for now.
- missed naval bombardments will show in PtW : water spouts
- Added existing deals to the foreign advisor screens, which saves a lot of unnecessary communicating..
- PtW will feature rally points ala Starcraft
- There are no plans to change expansionist traits
- The corruption modofier of commercial trait affects shields as well as commerce

AI tweaks :
- The AI values techs higher, so there would be less trading
- The AI will go build UN and Spaceship more agressively
- The AI is more willing to build factories and alike
Spiffor,

Are these all in 1.29f or are some of these planned implementations for PTW?
Old July 21, 2002, 06:07   #25
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:38
Quote:
Is this really already included in the patch? In the new editor, there's no government flag for 'FP doubles the no. of optimal cities'. On second thought, this could be a side effect of 'communal' corruption (and thus, only for communism in the standard game version).

This should make communism far more worthwile, at least for war-mongers.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 21, 2002, 07:11   #26
player1
Emperor

Re: Re: 1.29 chat : the most interesting info
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Tech race? How about ending the AI cheating there, also.
Hey, that cheaping is over.
What your read the thread?

No sides cheats anymore in tech researsh.

Now, I don't know about tech trade itself, but AI itself would need same amount of research points to get desired tech on ALL diffculties levels.
Old July 21, 2002, 07:15   #27
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 05:38
Does anyone have a full log of the chat?

I would really like to read it all, if possible.
Old July 21, 2002, 07:24   #28
player1
Emperor

Me too.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:41   #29
LaRusso
King

tech race
what are ai to ai trade rates now? do i still have to tweak with the files if i want to prevent them trading like crazy when playing with 12 civs on standard map?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old July 21, 2002, 10:01   #30
player1
Emperor

Re: tech race
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
what are ai to ai trade rates now? do i still have to tweak with the files if i want to prevent them trading like crazy when playing with 12 civs on standard map?
Tech trade rate is same as before, but AI now has no bonus on research on higher diffcult levels (nor panlaity on lower level), and thus makes tech more valuable for trade, which DIMINISHES number of AIvsAI tech. trades.

So, tech trading will be more bareable then before.