King

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Amendment: Removal of E-Mail Distribution Clause
Amendment II: Removal of E-Mail Clause

Based on this poll: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54577

Paragraph two, under article one section two, shall be removed:

Quote:
Once the turns are played the president shall send out the save game file via e-mail only to all the members of his cabinet and any Apolytonia member who specially request it. The Historian and Reporter must receive saves from the end of each turnchat.
To be replaced by this:

Quote:
Once the turns are played, the president shall publicly post the save game file for all members of Apolytonia to download.
Old July 19, 2002, 22:20   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I believe we can skip all debate on this, im switching it as of immediately for no further confusion.
Old July 19, 2002, 22:29   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good call Prez Ninot. No need for debate here, just do it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 19, 2002, 22:33   #4
Edrix

I think that was even in effect while Trip was president.

Old July 19, 2002, 22:44   #5
Timeline
King

It was, but the constitution was never *actually* changed by him.

So now we will correct it.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:10   #6
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
I'll go along with this, but I'm kinda skiddish of just changing the Constitution, even though this is super minor and the clause has been pretty much ignored since day one. I just hope this doesn't need to happen again, so that it won't become habit. I would actually prefer if we leave the Constitution as it was and just go along doing what we've been doing, just posting the saves. But whatever.

Kman
Old July 20, 2002, 00:23   #7
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

FORWARNING!!! I speak here not as a neutral editor of the Jungle Gazette, but as a citizen.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
I believe we can skip all debate on this, im switching it as of immediately for no further confusion.
Debate may, perhaps, be unreasonable here, but each President arbitrarily changing things to how they see without folowing a vote is an atrocity no matter how minor! Is this how you propose to run your office? Without the peoples consent?

An amedment is NOT editing the original document, it is an ADDITION that changes the original meaning. Look at the US(sorry for that, really) where there is the prohibition still in there, but it was later repealed. It is important to show how things progressed.

For that matter, why was the original post removed? How are we now to track that there were no changes made? I didn't memorize the thing. Later Presidents could have simply ammended by replying to the original thread, thus preserving the document for all.

I am really beyond words here.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 20, 2002, 00:37   #8
Ninot
Emperor

k.. im gonna do the official ammendment thing then, no worries.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:23   #9
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Calm down and go look at the first post. You will see a link to where the vote was held.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:26   #10
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Timeline, this is all part of the other debate. I am opposed to deleting and changing the Constitution, as you know by now, but I made a more concise and thoughtfull argument elsewhere.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 20, 2002, 07:17   #11
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Yeah go ahead and ammend it so its nice and "legal", but I can't see anyone voting against it
Old July 20, 2002, 08:21   #12
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Although whether we should delete and change is still being debated, we should be default add because we can always go back and change.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 20, 2002, 08:48   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

In this case we are not doing anything new, just updating our Constitution to what has been common practice. If you're going to nitpick, then why not cry foul about the fact that what was stated in the Constitution:

Quote:
Once the turns are played the president shall send out the save game file via e-mail only to all the members of his cabinet and any Apolytonia member who specially request it. The Historian and Reporter must receive saves from the end of each turnchat.
was not followed through. In my eyes, there is just as much cause for complaining about this than there is for not immediately updating this out-of-practice part of the Constitution.

Which is, of course, silly. I challenge anyone to complain that what the ppl wanted - ie no email distribution, rather a post of the save as an attachment - is worthy of a serious complaint.

If you don't want to change the Constitution in future, then by all means go to

this thread and vote. But I implore everyone to not oppose such a small change that brings our Constitution in line with current practice!

/rant off - Sorry if I seem forceful - I'm in a weird mood. I hope my point comes across.

Old July 20, 2002, 11:02   #14
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

This was already voted upon, but the change should be added at the end like an amendment. At least till the current debate is over. In fact, Ninot already did just that. If people choose to alter the original document, so be it.

Personally, I am beginning to see you point of view, MrWIA, we should not have written the thing in the first place. So much attention could have been better served in ways to get out of the stinking Jungle.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 20, 2002, 11:47   #15
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Personally, I am beginning to see you point of view, MrWIA, we should not have written the thing in the first place. So much attention could have been better served in ways to get out of the stinking Jungle.
[edit: for some reason, it just wiped out my reply when I hit submit... anyways, I've rewritten it]

The Code of Laws was supported by the gneral public with more than 2/3 support. That it should later be populary thought of as a Constitution is another story... but whatever.

I don't think the attention could have better served in getting us out of jungle. Just because we don't have a COL to distract us, wouldn't necessarily make us more involved in jungle strategies. Having the COL adds levels and depth to the game, enriching just as roleplay does. It helps get more people involved that wouldn't otherwise. Personally, I enjoy the forum apsect of the game more than the ingame part. If jungle strategies was all that was important, then why not just take the save games and see who can do the best? But that's not what it's about for all of us. For me, my favourite part is the discussion and debate about ideas of government structure, laws, courts, elections, citizen rights, etc... Not that I don't particpate in things like the war academy either, but that's the beauty of this demogame, there's something for everyone. And if there isn't, start it up!

---

And as for the original subject, we were effectively doing it anways, so officially changing (amending) it makes sense.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Last edited by Captain; July 20, 2002 at 11:57.
Old July 20, 2002, 11:56   #16
Timeline
King

nm

Last edited by Timeline; July 20, 2002 at 21:29.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:50   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Code of Laws... Constitution... it's all semantics, what's the difference? No, I do not want someone with legal education to tell me - the point is that it is the same thing here - a set of rules we go by.

IIRC in the days it was written up and voted on it was referred to as the Constitution, and AFAIC you can call it what you like - everyone knows what it is. But, as you say Captain, whatever.

Old July 20, 2002, 22:05   #18
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Sorry if I seem forceful - I'm in a weird mood. I hope my point comes across.
Yeah, crack will do that to you...

As for the code 'o laws, I have to agree with captain, it adds a whole other dimension of almost political role playing. I like the debating myself, it lets me feel the virtues of democracy first hand, cause at the end of a debate, the best solution to any problem is almost always found.

Kman
Old July 20, 2002, 22:16   #19
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
We usually have between 48 and 72 hours between turnchats, right?

If we didn't have all of this stuff to waste our time with, do you honestly think we'd be spending our time figuring out ways out of our problems? Just imagine people from around the world, co-operatively thinking 72 hours at a time on our situation. I just can't see it happening.

As it is, im sure there are many of us here who would not be here if it were simply just a couple of guys sharing duties on playing a game of civ. The constitution, elections, and general time-wasting fun is what we are all here for.. no reason in downplaying it, its the truth.
If you were to eliminate it, you would simply allow people to do more in their day then stick around the forums. You wouldnt be sending them into 72 hours of think-tanks on our situation. Thats ridiculous.
Old July 20, 2002, 22:33   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I hope no mod sees this... it's tantamount to admitting all we do here is spam!

Old July 20, 2002, 22:40   #21
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
If you were to eliminate it, you would simply allow people to do more in their day then stick around the forums. You wouldnt be sending them into 72 hours of think-tanks on our situation. Thats ridiculous.
Perhaps the code 'o laws isn't that great. now that you mention it, I have been spending alot of time on this forum lately. My skin was strating to go from its pale white hue to a pale yellow one. Is that normal? Maybe I have hepititus... I can say if it were not for the politics, I would spend only a few minutes here a day, at most.

Kman

And no, MrWIA, we do not spam here, every single one of our posts are important, every one of them. Just like my next post
Old July 20, 2002, 22:42   #22
Kramerman
Prince

If you call this spam, then I have yet to see a good, normal post