Old July 20, 2002, 03:17   #1
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Firaxis! Oceania wants in...
I may be alone on this but here goes:

Think about including a civ from Oceania. Looking at other threads I've noticed its not even mentioned despite some blokes talking about having cultures from all around the world.

Of course I'd like it to be Australia but its fine as long as someone gets in there - Fijian, Samoan, Aboriginal (the natives of Australia, European OZ may be only 200 years but they've been around for 40 000).

You get the idea. Something Pacific.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 20, 2002, 07:01   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
What would be their leader and special unit then?
Old July 20, 2002, 07:04   #3
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:39
People go on enough about why America shouldn't be in CivIII, imagine what they'd say about a really young country/ex-penal colony...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 20, 2002, 07:05   #4
HazieDaVampire
King

Some kind of quick warrior, real fast (tracking). But i dunno about weapons!
Old July 20, 2002, 07:16   #5
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
We've got a few candidates for leaders. Special unit? Hmm - well the pacific peoples were big island hoppers so I'd say an advanced galley. The Aborigines had some long range sling shot thing but I can't remember what its called

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
People go on enough about why America shouldn't be in CivIII, imagine what they'd say about a really young country/ex-penal colony...
Christ, how many times have I heard that dribble? Get over it mate, they were your convicts and most of them had only stolen a loaf of bread!

If it were Australia, easy - the ANZAC. They could be a kind of marine, that's what they did in Gallipoli.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Last edited by NeoStar; July 20, 2002 at 07:22.
Old July 20, 2002, 07:40   #6
HazieDaVampire
King

yeah, i've heard of that sling shot thing too
They didn't use bumberangs for combat did they, cept for hunting kangaroos! BOUNG BOUNG! COME ON SKIP!
Old July 20, 2002, 07:55   #7
NeoStar
Warlord

Bumberang, eh?

Is that better than hunting with a boomerang?

Quote:
yeah, i've heard of that sling shot thing too
Really? Nasty character that. Still can't recall the name...
Old July 20, 2002, 11:09   #8
zulu9812
King

You have to make the distinction between Australia as we know it and the country that belonged to the Aborigines. The English turned that land into a penal colony in the 1740s (I think), so it presumbly became independent quite some time after that. And I think it was only called Australia when it became independent. So you'll have to decide if you want to make it an aboriginal or caucasian civ.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 20, 2002, 20:35   #9
NeoStar
Warlord

b
Quote:
And I think it was only called Australia when it became independent. So you'll have to decide if you want to make it an aboriginal or caucasian civ.
If only it was my decision

This is on the off chance a Firaxian reads this so you may want to skip the following mumbo jumbo.

I want Australia there for obvoius reasons, but compared to the level of civs in the game my nation is hard to call a 'civ', it is young and very multicultural even if 70% caucasian. OZ would be there the same reasons the US is, but I see civs like the Fijians, Phillipians and Aboriginals probably more deserving.

People generally ignore these nations as potential civs because they never went as large scale as continental ones - take the Aborigines, around 40 000 years and changing little in technology terms. There are two reasons for this:

1) The lack of fertile land. Besides Australia (which is very arid inside) there are many tiny islands usually covered in jungle. As a result few made permanant cities and took up a more cyclic nomadic lifestyle (but still retaining their culture).

2) Pacific people never needed to control fire. The theory is that for a civ to advance it needed to start by manipulating fire and while European and Asian nations required this to survive the harsh cold, those living in the tropics used it but never as much.

So technology is not a strong point, nor are grand cities or empires in the Pacific. This said, Civ3 has alot going for it in 'culture' and in terms of that Oceania has a very unquie, developed culture/identity and being one of the SIX areas of the world (yeah I realise most people think that Europe, Africa, Nth America, Sth America, Asia are it) I think it deserves at least ONE representative. Australia, Samoa, Tonga - anyone!

Whew! There, I spelt it out. I wont live and die on this point, Civs a game in the end and a good one to - but someone needed to argue Oceania's case.
Hmmm I suppose I should send that to FIFA too. Maybe we'd get into the 'World' Cup for once
Old July 20, 2002, 23:15   #10
GoodFella
Warlord

I would like to see a southeast asian or oceania civ, like perhaps the Thai or Polynesians. I wouldn't neccisarily be opposed to the Austrailians, but I think there are many many more deserving civs. I would like to see for PtW:

Spain (European)
Mongolia (Asian)
Viking (European)
Carthage (Classical)
Inca (American)
Arabs (Middle Eastern)
Thai (Asian)
Mali (Middle Eastern)
Old July 20, 2002, 23:51   #11
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFella
I would like to see a southeast asian or oceania civ, like perhaps the Thai or Polynesians...I think there are many many more deserving civs...Spain (European), Viking (European)...
You're right there. Europe's real short of representation, I mean all they have is England, Russia, Germany, France... Just kidding-bring on the Conquistador!

From what's posted seems Spain, Carthage and Mongolia are included. Thailand's a cool place but not representative of Oceania-Polynesians are good though.
Old July 21, 2002, 04:54   #12
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 05:39
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Polynesia (capital: Jakarta) is high on my wish-list.
If we'll have more expansion packs, I don't see why Australia (and eg Brazil) shouldn't be included either. It's a lot more different from old England than Canada is IMHO.
Old July 21, 2002, 06:00   #13
NeoStar
Warlord

Yeah, everything in the Pacific is very different. Firaxis may avoid it simply because it would make another (the sixth) culture group - eg palace/city/icons.

If they kept with their original five, I suppose Asia would best represent it .... no, that wouldn't be right - maybe south america would ... no, that wouldn't work either.

Oceania is too unqiue!
Old July 21, 2002, 14:07   #14
GoodFella
Warlord

Welll I included Spain and Viking (as well as Carthage and Viking) since it sems that they will undoubtedly be in thew expansion. Other than that I agree that Europe is full and new civs need to be added to fill out the Americas, Africa, and Southeast Asia/Oceania.

Yes, I'm still not sure whether Thai or Polynesia would be better. I said Thai, but could easily accept Polynesia. They could have a Catamaran U.U and they do have those nice drinks with the little umbrellas in them...
Old July 22, 2002, 01:43   #15
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I'm thinking you mean Indonesia when you say capital Jakarta? Right?
Old July 22, 2002, 04:46   #16
NeoStar
Warlord

Jakarta isn't the capital of Polynesia, if that was what Ribannah was getting at.

Indonesia is a grey area, it's so big (3rd biggest population in world, hundreds of islands). The only part of it officially known as 'Oceania' is Papua.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:37   #17
Sean
Prince

Neo-star, don't forget the New Zealand part of ANZAC, mate ;-)
Your right, Oceania is sadly lacking in terms of civ 111. One of the map makers in apolyton made a "oceania" map, yet it was mostly asian!

oh well...
Old July 22, 2002, 07:12   #18
NeoStar
Warlord

We wouldn't have stayed at Gallipoli for as long as we did without you blokes

If you kiwis got in it be the next best thing We'll still be keeping the Bledisloe though

But nothings doing here. It seems like no firaxian's visited. Oh well - at least some people visited and agreed . I guess we can always make our own custom civs...

PS- BTW, I think the Maori's have a case as well if the Aborignes do.
Old July 22, 2002, 14:18   #19
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
I'm thinking you mean Indonesia when you say capital Jakarta? Right?
No, I mean Polynesia.
The Polynesians settled there and created their finest empire.
Old July 22, 2002, 17:12   #20
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It's been said before, but the Khmer might be a good bet. Close to southern Asia, fills out that area.

In game terms, there might be some problems with Oceania (on an accurate map, since random maps make continental representation meaningless). There'd be a LOT of islands and ocean and not a lot of useable land. Perhaps (on realistic world maps, anyway) So-Pac civs could get a specialized "bonus tech" that gives them early ships (capacity 1, but enough movement capability to colonize quick), and a specialized fishing improvement that grants shields for water squares?
Old July 23, 2002, 02:29   #21
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
In game terms, there might be some problems with Oceania (on an accurate map, since random maps make continental representation meaningless). There'd be a LOT of islands and ocean and not a lot of useable land. Perhaps (on realistic world maps, anyway) So-Pac civs could get a specialized "bonus tech" that gives them early ships (capacity 1, but enough movement capability to colonize quick), and a specialized fishing improvement that grants shields for water squares?
Specialized fishing improvement? That's not a bad idea - I myself was thinking along the lines of more kinds of water resources - even more fish/whales around the Pacific on a 'real map' would do.

We get plenty of marine life around here, not to mention the Great Barrier Reef
Old July 24, 2002, 02:33   #22
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:39
I will throw in my support, FWIW, to a Pacific civ group, whichever they choose.

There are a number of good prospects out there.
Old July 24, 2002, 07:38   #23
curswine
Settler

i never knew that the polynesians settle in jakarta oh well but the most well known polynesian city Tamaki (which is the moari name for Auckland) which is the most populated polynesian city
well apart from jakarta but im still not quite sure on that
Old July 25, 2002, 02:27   #24
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I will throw in my support, FWIW, to a Pacific civ group, whichever they choose.

There are a number of good prospects out there.
On ya kring'o

Quote:
Originally posted by curswine
...the most well known polynesian city Tamaki (which is the moari name for Auckland) which is the most populated polynesian city well apart from jakarta...
Despite the lack of land (besides Australia, but a large part is bush/desert/rainforest) Oceania all up actually has a fair population - around 31 million. Might not seem much, but its a unique culture/geographic area - and I reckon there's enough civ players
Old July 25, 2002, 18:54   #25
ScreamingViking
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:39
Neostar:

The #1 thing against any Oceanic civilization is the fact that CivIII does not allow for marintime civs to thrive. There is simply not enough production for the water based civs, barring a whale surplus. In addition, randomly generated maps (my preferred way of playing) could very well locate an Oceanic civ smack dab in the middle of a continent. It IS all random.

Aside from Australia, Oceania will not get much PTW consideration. Besides, if you Aussies got in, you would hear a lot of whining from us Canucks.

Perhaps firaxis should find some way to properly simulate colonization, as to better account for emerging 20/21 century countries like Australia, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, NZ, etc.
Old July 26, 2002, 02:06   #26
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingViking
Neostar:

The #1 thing against any Oceanic civilization is the fact that CivIII does not allow for marintime civs to thrive...
I understand that mate but civ's not so big on that. I mean Egypt doesn't get any 'desert bonuses'. After the UU and traits there's little b/w them. If we go that way however, a solution would be a water improvement/early 'rig' or a 'reef' tile. Plenty of reefs around here

Quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingViking
Aside from Australia, Oceania will not get much PTW consideration. Besides, if you Aussies got in, you would hear a lot of whining from us Canucks.

Perhaps firaxis should find some way to properly simulate colonization, as to better account for emerging 20/21 century countries like Australia, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, NZ, etc.
I know, I know-it wouldn't be too fair. I was thinking of a colonization thing to-would add a nice touch if you could create Dominions across the world. They'd lose unworkable corruption and not have to be managed-so long as they're your faithful allies.
Old July 26, 2002, 02:22   #27
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
- a very early (no tech required) primitive ship (carry 1, move 1, coastal tiles only)
or:
- the boomerang througher (1|1|1 (treats all tiles as road)). has attack range of 2
Old July 28, 2002, 04:06   #28
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
...a very early (no tech required) primitive ship (carry 1, move 1, coastal tiles only)...
Hmm-that'd be alright. I was originally thinking a improved galley but a weaker one needing no tech...

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
...the boomerang througher (1|1|1 (treats all tiles as road)). has attack range of 2...
Bombarding boomerangs? I can tell you they'd give you one hefty knock but they wont destroy a city temple.
Old July 28, 2002, 18:17   #29
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Hmm-that'd be alright. I was originally thinking a improved galley but a weaker one needing no tech...
well, the polynesians would never even come to map making on the small islands with practically no production. even food is a problem, because coastal cities only provide 2 food with harbors (map making)... they'd have to have at least a small amout of chance to expand?

Quote:
Bombarding boomerangs? I can tell you they'd give you one hefty knock but they wont destroy a city temple.
uhm... ... well... temples aren't worth anything without priests (or other religion-dedicated people) ... boomerangs could decapitate them... same for army ... no, ofcourse... you're right, forget this
Old July 28, 2002, 19:24   #30
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Polynesian war canoes. Very cheap ancient-age transports.