Old July 28, 2002, 23:44   #31
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
As it is, Firaxis has already made the final decision on all civs and leaders for PTW, and it looks very much like:

Mongols
Vikings
Spanish
Celts
Vikings
Koreans
Ottomans
Arabs

As for Oceania, there were hints that there would be a second expansion pack, so we can always hope for that!
Old July 29, 2002, 02:37   #32
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
As it is, Firaxis has already made the final decision on all civs and leaders for PTW, and it looks very much like:

Mongols
Vikings
Spanish
Celts
Vikings
Koreans
Ottomans
Arabs
I'd be gutted but - Guess what mate; you've put Vikings in there twice

I'll keep the faith yet...

BTW - I like Europeans but, three more of them!!! Where did you get this from? Haven't seen any such posted...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 29, 2002, 03:37   #33
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
I've been pushing for a Polynesian civ for a long time. There's a large hole in Oceania that needs to be filled by someone.

Regarding the worries that a Oceaniac civ would not have enough resources to compete on the real world map, wouldn't Australia pretty much always be claimed by the new Oceanic civ (especially if the Oceanic civ is given a no-tech ship unit)? If so, wouldn't Australia provide a decent, if not spectacular, land mass for a civ to develop on? The Asian mainland is a ways away from Australia; the Oceanic civ should have time to solidify its hold on Australia.
Old July 29, 2002, 06:20   #34
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 14:09
NeoStar: I think one of those vikings was meant to be Carthaginians
Old July 29, 2002, 11:52   #35
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Neostar-- That second Viking should have been a Carthaginian. As for the list I presented, I was only following the evidence provided by Firaxis, Apolyton, and Civ Fanatics. I would say that the Spanish, Vikings, Celts, Carthaginians, Mongols, Koreans, and Ottomans will definitely be in, and I have a sneaking suspicion that joining them will be the Arabs. Of course, it could simply be that the Arabs won't be there, and instead we'll see 'Oceania' or 'Incas', but I highly doubt it.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:35   #36
NeoStar
Warlord

If that's true...Bloody oath!!!
Hmmm I suppose, it-is-only-a-game.

To be honest, if the chance was small before it's becoming a speck the way things are going. If I'd concentrated only on all the inaccuracies I'd have thrown the disk by now Lucky civ has way too many things going for it

I guess I really can't holler at Firaxis either, not when FIFA doesn't even recognise us (but that might change come 2006...)

Another XP? Well, I’m not sure about that these days (and will civ3 last that long?) but Civ2 had three. Thank God we can customise our own civs, and hopefully one of the new ones will fit the bill with their UU...

BTW Thanks for all the people at Poly who took the time to support this righteous cause, which is really getting more feedback than I expected. Oceania's a great place, with our beaut' beaches, outrageous surf and tropical paradises! It doesn't look too good, but its still fun arguing the case...

OCEANIC pride WORLDWIDE
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	oceania.gif
Views:	110
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	20937  
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Last edited by NeoStar; July 30, 2002 at 06:55.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:44   #37
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 04:39
Quote:

Mongols
Vikings
Spanish
Celts
Carthaginians
Koreans
Ottomans
Arabs

As for Oceania, there were hints that there would be a second expansion pack, so we can always hope for that!
I'll remind you that Korea still hasn't been conformed in any screenshot or interview.
Old July 30, 2002, 05:03   #38
NeoStar
Warlord

The confirmations and other civs mentioned are one thing, a response from someone from Firaxis is another.

Those fellas are always about here, and this thread has been around for a while without anyone dropping in. Maybe they'll stick Oceania in at the last moment, but from what I've read in previews and seen in threads/shots....

No worries, I'll keep with this as long as the replies continue...
Old July 30, 2002, 12:24   #39
History Guy
King

Darkworld-- Have you been paying attention to the chats with Firaxis members? The Hwacha was confirmed, and the hwacha was confirmed as someone's special unit. Now since the only guys who would use the hwacha are it's creators the Koreans, don't you think that this means that they are in?
Old July 30, 2002, 16:17   #40
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Darkworld-- Have you been paying attention to the chats with Firaxis members? The Hwacha was confirmed, and the hwacha was confirmed as someone's special unit. Now since the only guys who would use the hwacha are it's creators the Koreans, don't you think that this means that they are in?
Last time I checked, the only conformation of the Hwacha was a very scetchy answer from a Firaxian. He also said;
"But, then again, I know a few more things about PTW than you do."

As far as I'm conserned, at this point & time, the Koreans aren't confermed. Once I see their name or their leaders name in a screenshot or a interview/preview, I'll openly 'enbrace' them into PtW, but until then, I'll say that they aren't confermed.
Old July 30, 2002, 17:00   #41
NeoStar
Warlord

EDIT-It seems your speculation about them adding "Arabs' or like is right. I've seen from an reliable source at this point no civ from the pacific has been included'.

In case that point changes, here is a quick view of what this thread has come up with thus far:

Civ: Anything Oceanic

UU: One movement raft needing no tech OR Slingshot unit OR ANZAC if Australia or NZ

Traits: Religoius(they were) and Commercial(trading was a big thing b/w tribes.

Possible Pacific things: Reef tiles / More water resources

Last edited by NeoStar; July 31, 2002 at 02:35.
Old July 31, 2002, 03:40   #42
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

If they were to put in any civ in Oceania, I would hope it to be Australia. Yes, the British Australia. But alas, Firaxis would never do such a thing, sober or not.

I just like the way it would round out the world map. I fixed that problem in my world map. As well as getting rid of most of the pesky tundra. The Germans start in Australia on my map, and the English start in a revamped Greenland.
Old July 31, 2002, 09:14   #43
Deathwalker
Prince

They shuld stick to countries that achieved something great. Like a Empire or Something. Not simple because there not repersented in the game
Old July 31, 2002, 09:18   #44
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
you mean like the iroquois?
Old July 31, 2002, 12:01   #45
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
you mean like the iroquois?
No kidding. I agree 100%. How the freak did they beat the Incas into Civ3?
Old July 31, 2002, 14:27   #46
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Er, let me guess - because they did something great?

* Adds giant list of Iroquois accomplishments from previous occasions *
Old July 31, 2002, 16:48   #47
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
They shuld stick to countries that achieved something great. Like a Empire or Something. Not simple because there not repersented in the game
Its 'Civilzation 3', not 'Most Famous Civilizations 3'.

Empire? Calling them just 'great'... Empires are accountable for most the major wars in modern times. Is that 'great'? They travelled to nations like the Spanish to America and either killed or kept the local populations in slavery, treating them sub human. Is that 'great'? (In)Famous, yes.

The Aborgines hung around with a unquie culture for about 40 000 years. Oldest ever (not most developed), but oldest. That's some achievement.

Australia has a good track record as well. We are the only so called 'western' nation in the Pacific (as well as NZ), have fought in all major wars (never started one though) and are amongst the most multicultural nations.

The Polynesians, Micronesians managed to spread out over hundreds of small, tropical islands and still thrive and keep a sense of unity.

Great is subject to opinion.
Old August 3, 2002, 02:59   #48
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
If they were to put in any civ in Oceania, I would hope it to be Australia. Yes, the British Australia. But alas, Firaxis would never do such a thing, sober or not.

I just like the way it would round out the world map. I fixed that problem in my world map. As well as getting rid of most of the pesky tundra. The Germans start in Australia on my map, and the English start in a revamped Greenland.
That isn't a bad idea. The few times I've played on the world map there always has been a huge gap in that region.

The map around Oceania would have to be improved however...
Old August 3, 2002, 17:27   #49
axi0m
Settler

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
They shuld stick to countries that achieved something great.
You mean something like traveling from Tahiti to Hawai'i in a boat built with stone tools? I think you need to do some homework:

http://pvs.hawaii.org/
Old August 4, 2002, 11:22   #50
XarXo
Prince

The unique great (??) civ in oceania is the Polynese Culture (from Hawaii to Moais).

-THE POLYNESE-

Country Name: Polynesia

Leader (Male): Kamehameha

Special Unit (Water Unit): Hokule'a (0/0/2 , probability to sink in sea is half than the default in the game, maximum of 1 unit carried. In ocean the probability to sink is normal.).

Specifics: Expansionist, Religious.

Civ Style: Oriental? Amerindian? I suggest a new one: Colonial (in ancient are huts, in renaissance are colonial houses like spanish colonial style mixed with the english one with some huts, in industrial and modern are similar to european cities, is a great option for an african civ, Iroquois or this one).

Last edited by XarXo; August 4, 2002 at 11:40.
Old August 4, 2002, 22:54   #51
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by axi0m

You mean something like traveling from Tahiti to Hawai'i in a boat built with stone tools? I think you need to do some homework:

http://pvs.hawaii.org/
Half the northern hemisphere needs to do their 'homework' when it comes to the Oceania

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo

Leader (Male): Kamehameha
What the...? Isn't that an attack from Dragonball Z

Quote:

Civ Style: Oriental? Amerindian? I suggest a new one: Colonial (in ancient are huts, in renaissance are colonial houses like spanish colonial style mixed with the english one with some huts, in industrial and modern are similar to european cities, is a great option for an african civ, Iroquois or this one).
Of course they'd need a new one, which is a reason they overlooked us. There is a unquie culture style to the Pacific so things like the palace and people icons would have to change. The city would also need to look different, especially in the ancient/medieval age but I agree with this colonial thing - industrial age/modern age could blend in european/asian influence...

Last edited by NeoStar; August 4, 2002 at 23:30.
Old August 5, 2002, 10:11   #52
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
What the...? Isn't that an attack from Dragonball Z

No no, , King Kamehameha (/Kam'(e)hameha/)
is a legendary Hawaiian king. Akira Toriyama always introduces jokes in the names of persons or thing in their stories. For example:

Goku: A verdurian japanese lunch
Gohan: A rice typical japanese lunch
Vegeta: VegetaL
Raditz, Nappa: Same as Goku
Broly: Borcoly

etc...
Old August 6, 2002, 02:44   #53
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:

No no, , King Kamehameha (/Kam'(e)hameha/)
is a legendary Hawaiian king. Akira Toriyama always introduces jokes in the names of persons or thing in their stories. For example:

Goku: A verdurian japanese lunch
Gohan: A rice typical japanese lunch
Vegeta: VegetaL
Raditz, Nappa: Same as Goku
Broly: Borcoly

etc...
What?! Your saying those cool saiyan names like Goku, Raditz and Vegeta are just food?

Well it certainly fooled us ignorant english speakers. Geez, I should stop watching cartoons....... nah

Well if King Kamehameha really existed, he gets my vote for leader of a Polynesia civ.
Old August 8, 2002, 17:29   #54
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

What about those Polynesians, didn't they live in the pacific/somewhere? But maybe there population is not big enough, it's like having the Inuit in the game..

no offence to the Inuit people.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 8, 2002, 17:30   #55
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I don't want the Aussies in civ3.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 8, 2002, 18:04   #56
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
What about those Polynesians, didn't they live in the pacific/somewhere? But maybe there population is not big enough
The Polynesians originate from South East Asia mainland.
They settled in Indonesia, methinks that's plenty in terms of population. Then they went on to settle on many pacific islands.
Eventually reached Madagascar, too.
Old August 8, 2002, 23:24   #57
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
I don't want the Aussies in civ3.
Great reason mate

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
They settled in Indonesia, methinks that's plenty in terms of population.
Unfortunately, only a small bit of Indo is considered Oceania. We're listed with a 30 mill odd population but counting the 500 mill Indo brings that's a substantial lack of representation
Old August 9, 2002, 03:21   #58
Ribannah
Queen

Well, as a consolation, I wouldn't mind to see Australia make it in as a civ in one of the next expansion packs.
Polynesia is higher on my list though.
Old August 11, 2002, 01:06   #59
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
Well, as a consolation, I wouldn't mind to see Australia make it in as a civ in one of the next expansion packs.
Polynesia is higher on my list though.
We need all the support we can get.

The screenshots from gamespot have permanantly closed the issue of what we'll see in PTW (which is all good, despite the huge glut of Euro civs we are going to have) so the question to whether Australia, Polynesia or any Oceanic civ gets included rests of the possibility of another XP.

Unfortunately with the touch and go nature of the games market these days, you cant help doubting that will happen
Old August 11, 2002, 01:48   #60
Sean
Prince

Unfortunitly, I won't be holding by breath to see a pacific nation in any civ 111 expansion.