Old July 20, 2002, 12:55   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Petition to the Government - Galleys
Dear President Ninot, War Minister UberKruX and other Ministers,

I have created this petition to build at least one Galley, preferably two or three, as soon as convenient. These Galleys would serve many purposes.

First, my short journey with jdjdjd attempting to cross to Uber Isle by raft was a failure. Our raft was simply not sturdy or stable enough for us to make it across, or even beyond sight of land. I believe that we will have a chance if we use a full-fledged Galley. Unfortunately, neither jdjdjd nor I have the resources to construct such a ship, nor the people to man her. Thus we call upon the Government to sponsor our journey of exploration.

Second, if one Galley successfully makes it to the coast of Uber Isle, we can execute a difficult maneuver known as the Uber Gambit, named after War Minister UberKruX, who initially proposed it. We would have to build another Galley, and load a Settler onto it. Then, we would sail the Galley out as far as it could go in one turn, and then transfer the Settler to the first Galley, which is in coastal waters and therefore not in danger of sinking. The first Galley would then offload the Settler onto Uber Isle and we would be able to establish a fully self-sufficient colony on the isle, which would be able to expand on its own and control the entire isle.

I ask all citizens to sign this petition.

Signed,

Skywalker
MrWhereItsAt
War Minister UberKruX
City Planner Punkbass2000
Gepap
Kring
Science Minister Civman2000
Edrix
Aro
Robber Baron
Jonny
OPD
The_Spartan
Trevor
Max

Last edited by Kuciwalker; July 23, 2002 at 15:17.
Old July 20, 2002, 13:01   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:41
I support this idea provided it does not interfere with our curent build/war plans. Thus I think we may have to delay this idea until the war with the US is at least underway.

Speaking as one who frequents the Thinkers' Guild, we cannot pass up the chance to explore for new forms of alcoho- thought that people on new lands may have to offer us.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 20, 2002, 13:23   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree. Sending a Galley or two to Uber Isle (it looks more and more like an island every day!) could be in best intrests.

Best case scenario, it's a decently sized island with no one on it, and a bunch of minerals / luxuries. We sure could use that.

Plus, if it's large eough, Apolyton might actually remain the center of our empire (one of them), and keep the palace.

But IMMEDIATE goals must overshadow those for right now. we need the refresher army as stated in my SMC War Path thread. We need settlers to claim the land we raze, and head for insence valley.

I will do everything i can to petition to squeeze out 2 galleys fairly soon. all we need is ONE settler to make it to the island, and then hopefully it will be able to scout / settle by itself.

also note: if galleys sink, we're screwed.
Old July 20, 2002, 14:18   #4
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 20:41
Doh! No Galleys!
Well I may be ostracized for my opinion, but I think exploring Uber Isle is *not* in the best interests of our nation. I think we should focus more on trying to expand and aquire the resources around us rather than produce a galley, which might not even make it to Uber Isle.

I've attached a cheap image I made earlier (forgive the crappy artistic skills ), showing that it might be a better and wiser decision to focus expanding on our own continent.

Granted, all we have is this blasted jungle around us, but I think trying to build more cities at the moment will help our empire in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3_resource.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	20189  
Old July 20, 2002, 14:54   #5
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I support building a galley, and as the City Planner will make it happen ASAP, though I ask UberKrux for his input in terms of how many more archers we're going to need and when we will have the time to build a galley.
Old July 20, 2002, 16:16   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

Signature list updated.
Old July 20, 2002, 16:24   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

I would like to christen the new ship "A.E.S. Trip" (A.E.S. - Apolytonian Exploration Ship), after our great former president.
Old July 20, 2002, 16:41   #8
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:41
I support making a galley to eplore Uber Isle. I also am interested in asking if we wish to take it upon ourselves to find the other continent[s] on which the last 4 civs are. The potential rewards of being the first to make contact might be huge.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 21, 2002, 03:44   #9
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I also support the petition for a Galley. The benefits of learning more of our world are worth it. Also, the Galley could prove useful in any campaigns we might have in the future in providing our troops quicker access to some parts of the world.
Old July 21, 2002, 07:35   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Get a galley but make it low priority. If we have more urgent things to build in our cities a gallye will have to wait.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 21, 2002, 11:28   #11
Edrix

Making a galley quickly would probably be best, as long as we don't focus all of our efforts on colonization.

Old July 21, 2002, 11:34   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Signature list updated.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:50   #13
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:41
I strongly favor NOT to make a ship. We would at least need a few ships + a settler to get anything from the island. Better focus on the upcoming war + land grab in the north.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:51   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

We would just be colonizing it. This is a long term investment, but one that we need to grab now or we'll have to fight for it, which would be very difficult.
Old July 21, 2002, 13:49   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Doh! No Galleys!
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
Well I may be ostracized for my opinion, but I think exploring Uber Isle is *not* in the best interests of our nation. I think we should focus more on trying to expand and aquire the resources around us rather than produce a galley, which might not even make it to Uber Isle.

I've attached a cheap image I made earlier (forgive the crappy artistic skills ), showing that it might be a better and wiser decision to focus expanding on our own continent.

Granted, all we have is this blasted jungle around us, but I think trying to build more cities at the moment will help our empire in the long run.
i'll say it in this thread too, a galley mould get us to those dyes / iron faster (a third of the time).
Old July 21, 2002, 14:09   #16
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
I support this petition. Galleys are always very usefull
Old July 21, 2002, 14:32   #17
Robber Baron
Prince

It looks to me as though we can afford to support this venture, as soon as we've marshalled and launched our first wave of archer/spear forces. The pay-off may be significant, the amount of resources modest. One caveat: devote I city only to galley/settler production. (Switch Banana HQ off of barracks production?)
Old July 21, 2002, 14:34   #18
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I like the idea of galleys.

*Jonny signs petition*
Old July 22, 2002, 15:47   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Signature list updated.
Old July 22, 2002, 18:27   #20
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:41
*signs petition*

Does this need to go to poll or is there enough public support to carry it through.

If it needs a poll then someone better make one quick.
Old July 22, 2002, 20:25   #21
Captain
King

as seen here in another
thread , I've elaborated more strongly on why we should concentrate on our own continent rather than some unknown isle. I would support galleys if used according to this policy.

To summarize the other thread, we're in a tough position on the continent, we're in some wars we may find tougher than we think and should concentrate on those, afterwards we'll have a tough time consolidating/colonizing enough to prevent ais from infilling us. generally, a city on the continent would be better than one on another island.

I would support the galley only if I have assurances we won't go off on some half-baked mission to colonize uber island without solid reasons. if it speeds continental colonization and secures some dyes/ivory for us, good. that's a good use.

exploration is good, but only if Uber Island has some substantial benefits that would outweigh the cost in distraction to our continental aims, would I support using a settler there. don't forget, luxuries and strat resources require a harbour for connection to the rest of the empire. that's tough on a waste/corrupt island. plus you need to build 2 of them - which, instead of, you could have built 2 libraries or temples. also, that could mean at least 80 turns before seeing that connected up.

also, for those worrying about getting there first, who cares? if we want it, we'll take it by force when we need it. the island won't be productive or useful to it's owner for quite some time. when it does become so, we'll just take it. if we're strong enough on the continent, taking the island later is no problem. splitting our empire prematurely across two continents, that's foolhardy.

I'm not against galleys, I can see them being used for transport, and to contact the remaining civs ($$$), but I'm wary of these galleys being a pretext to colonize an island unworthy of our attention (of course, I'll be quite embarrassed if Uber Island turns out to be some wonderful gift from heaven). Just because we have galleys doesn't mean we should go off trying to colonize islands just because they're there.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 22, 2002, 21:35   #22
The_Spartan
Settler

I will sign the petition for a galley.
Old July 22, 2002, 21:38   #23
trevor
Warlord

I say that we should claim Uber Isle soon before another country does. Put my name down too.
Old July 23, 2002, 06:44   #24
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:41
Re: Re: Doh! No Galleys!
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

i'll say it in this thread too, a galley mould get us to those dyes / iron faster (a third of the time).
Is a galley mould like a jelly mould?
Old July 23, 2002, 07:58   #25
Max
Chieftain

If Uber supports this petition, I'll sign it...
After all, has our supreme military commander ever been wrong ?
Old July 23, 2002, 09:35   #26
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I share Captain's analysis ; no settlement of Terra Incognita before we are firmly established on Abananaba.