Old July 20, 2002, 18:12   #1
sevencubed
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
how much better is SMAX over SMAC ?
I've been playing SMAC for the last 2 years. I never had the chance to get my hands on SMAX though, since it was never distributed in my country (at least I couldn't find it).

From the known additions that i read on this forums, there are some things that i didn't manage to clarify so here are the questions:
1) after installing the expansion, do u still have a choice to play only with the original factions, or the original settings anyway?
2) apart from the additions of new techs, projects, units are there other changes regarding the interface (screens, menus etc)?
3) changes on diplomacy, and AI-human interaction ?
4) other things i might be missing?

once, i read a review (can't remember where though) stating that SMAX was really a step back for AC, ruining much of the good things the original had. Has there been a relative thread discussing this?
Old July 20, 2002, 18:34   #2
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 04:41
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
1. You can play the original factions, the new faction or both of them mixed. You can always play SMAC instead of SMAC-X when SMAC-X is installed.

2. No, i dont think so, but there is some techs / Sp / units that really makes new strategies.

3. Some new diplomatic propositions and some new coucil propositions...

4. Many.

5. Just get it and make your mind, SMAC-X is far better than SMAC. And not only because there's the Free Drones in SMAC-X.

6. And if you can send me a copy of SMAC-X as well, thatll be welcome. (see Thread : Another favor is asked to you)
Old July 20, 2002, 19:48   #3
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak
3. Some new diplomatic propositions and some new coucil propositions...
There are?

1)as pandemoniak said, you can mix and match your factions. if you want to play a builder game you can choose only builder factions and you wont have as much war (with gaiains morgan UoP PKs angels and drones i got the first battle victory in 2240 IIRC)

3)the aliens are always at war with each other, with you if they get their way, and if you play the aliens, the humans wont really like you that much.

4)new landmarks, new SPs new facilities, new native life, new techs, new weapons armour and special abilites, and a different graphic for mining platforms

it absolutely isnt a step back.

ooo don't they look scary!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	aldrop.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	20210  
Old July 21, 2002, 05:13   #4
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
There's as well a different graphic for Alien Artifact, I forgot
Old July 21, 2002, 10:13   #5
spartak
King

SMAX is better fr SP but I have seen several dioscussions where dedicated MP players prefer to play SMAC.
Old July 21, 2002, 13:54   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Aside from previously mentioned differences one of the big differences is the fix made with a SMAX patch that finally fixed golden ages. A golden age resulting in +6 growth in bases will allow pop booms, thus evening the score for pop boom hindered factions like Morgan.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old July 21, 2002, 14:09   #7
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

some land marks are added also. Manifold Nexus, Unity Crash Site, that Fossil thingy in sea, .....
Old July 21, 2002, 14:36   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Manifold nexus and borehole cluster were added in SMAC v4.0 IIRC
Old July 21, 2002, 15:38   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

And the Fossil Field Ridge is useless, which leaves...
Old July 21, 2002, 16:26   #10
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The maintence cost bug on Thinker and Transcend levels is fixed in SMAX.

The Hunter is no longer a game breaker.

Those two items, along with the Golden Age fix, make it worth getting, even if you never use the new factions.

Part of my preference for SMAX is because of the facilities that make sea (or port) bases potentially much stronger than they are in SMAC. There is a facility to increase the yield from sea squares for each of the three factors of production for sea or port bases.

In my opinion, where the original SMAC factions were rather well balanced, both within themselves and vis. each other, the SMAX factions are more extreme. Both the bonuses and the penalties are larger. Mixing new and old factions can result in unbalanced situations, particulalry in MP.

Having said that, I find some of the SMAX factions fun to play.
Old July 21, 2002, 16:32   #11
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just a few fill-ins:

SMAX has a couple new natives, the sealurk, the spore launcher and the fungal tower.

Another key fix in SMAX is the energy bug fix. At least for Transcend level you get undercharged for infrastructure in vanilla SMAC.

Unfortunately a couple new bugs were also introduced. Many of us now suffer from the interceptor crash bug or the edge of the world crash. There are work arounds though and the best fix seems to be a lot more computer power.

Several new techs, unit options and even SPs were introduced. Key SPs include the Planetary Energy Grid and the Cloudbase Academy. One of the new base improvements makes sea-based energy parks more effective - the Thermocline Transducer.

Sadly I know of no new diplomacy features, but someone with a good sense of humour added text for the aliens. In games with the aliens the human council has only five members.

There is a new victory condition but it only kicks in for one of the two alien factions.

Aliens have a huge edge starting out and it can be hard to win if you encounter them early. Especially if you are inbetween them. My advice, lie low, give them anything they want to avoid war and wait until you have reseached nerve gas. Gassing aliens causes no environmental damage.

The extra stops on the tech tree will not cause the game to take that much longer.

I prefer any game whether it be single player or multiplayer on SMAX. The only reason I occasionally play vanilla SMAC MP games is that not everyone was able to purchase SMAX.

For me the biggest advantage was in having seven more factions to play with. Although the original seven were well done, it is nice to play someone new for a change.
Old July 22, 2002, 10:25   #12
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
Does anybody know where I could buy SMAX?
Old July 22, 2002, 10:39   #13
Jac de Molay
Prince

I was about to ask the same thing - I've never played it, though I still get plenty of use out of original SMAC. I did a thread search and found a few links, but am not sure if they're still shipping.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 22, 2002, 10:52   #14
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Look at the bottom of this page.
Old July 22, 2002, 20:10   #15
Lucidor
Settler

Local Time: 05:41
Is the "Planetary Pack" SMAC patched to 4.0 as well as the expansion? I found the pack at a bargain rack, and liked the game a lot back then.

I started playing some more again after getting into a discussion about the best quotes.

Anyway - Hi! Nice forum you've got here!
Old July 23, 2002, 00:46   #16
The Vagabond
Prince

Could someone please answer the following question. Is SMAX an independent software or a supplement to SMAC? In other words, is it necessary to have SMAC installed before installing SMAX?

Another question: are SMAX and Allien Crossfire the same thing?
Old July 23, 2002, 00:48   #17
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
You need the original game to install SMAX. SMAX is another name for Alien Crossfire. Alien Crossfire sounds cooler so I usually say that.
Old July 23, 2002, 00:52   #18
The Vagabond
Prince

Thanks, Mr. President.
Old July 23, 2002, 04:31   #19
MariOne
King

I'd agree with last posts from Mongoose & RedFred.
With the precisation that I'm not at all a fan of SMAX.

True, there are several new items, in terms of
  1. native units
  2. unit components
  3. facilities
  4. projects
  5. techs

1. add some variety in interaction with wild units; not bad, a minor influence on the game
2. overrated
3. interesting the sea-enhancing trio, as said above. Interesting the Covert-ops center, but not that much after all. New buildings for missile defense, but hardly influential against a dumb AI, hardly get there in a PBEM
4. Interesting the new facilities-adding ones, as said above. When I play SMAC tho, I barely miss the use of CBA, the rest of new project are just some flavoring...
5. Interesting only as related to the new items they allow. They also screwed up some hierarchy, in the sense that now is possible to discover Hybrid Forests *before* Tree Farms, and of course you can't build the formers without the latters.

The main thing grounding my opposition to SMAX is this:
they added some bug-fixing code in the SMAX terrax.exe executable.
That should be a good thing.
As the fixed bugs were in the old code (of course SMAC bugs could not be in the sections added for SMAX new features...), the fix could have been equally applied to the old executable, terran.exe. After all, the fixing code had been written, they could have included it in a SMACv5 patch, with almost no additional effort.
But no, they decided to not do it. Why?
Because SMAX was sold at full price, and had they released just the fixing code for the old version, without all the new frills, they thought many customers would have contented to get the bug fixes for free without purchasing the expansion.
Thus, admitting that they considered a bug-fixing patch a decisive item when considering the purchase.
In practice, they counted on *selling* you the latest patch, instead that releasing for free that last piece of code to fix the *defective* items thay had already sold you in the first place.

So, IMHO the new items only add for a 10%-15% (at best) to the game experience.
I would NOT have paid a full-game price just for them.
When I play SMAX, I mainly do it because it has the Maintenance Bug and the Golden Age bug fixed. And I curse Firaxis everytime as I had to shell another 50$ to get those fixes (despite I waited almost a year before getting it!).
Now that SMAX hit the bargain bins, I'd say that as expansion it could be interesting to get, at NO MORE than 10$, and that could already be too much. That should have been the retail price for the expansion from its start. To be an actual "bargain", it should be really sold at 5$ rather than 10...
Old July 23, 2002, 16:19   #20
waab
Prince

Actuly I think SMAC-X was something really fun, mostly because my favorit faction is in it, but also because you could make factions with new abilities like pirats starting on see...and so on.

I like the new alien units but the new weapons is totaly pointless.

Some fun new buildings, I think it is a really good idea to buy it.
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:19   #21
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 00:41
Missiles are no longer the game-decider that they used to be. There are now a wealth of "factional missile defences" available to the player if you play using SMAX rules.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:42   #22
MattyBoy
Prince

I felt that it added 10% to the game and I bought it at great inconvenience from US Ebay. But, if it's your favourite game, it's time and effort well spent.

The main mistake that I made was to get excited about the new factions. Despite having the option of the new factions, I rarely use them now.

Why? because each of them was distorted or overpowered enough that it made for a narrow (linear) game. e.g: Drones are a challenge until you work out they need to be played, then the fun is over.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:44   #23
MattyBoy
Prince

The thing that I liked best about SMAX over SMAC was the rebalancing of artillery, so that they become part of gameplay now.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:53   #24
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I agree that SMAX is quite a decent game, but I sort of lost interest after a while, mainly due to the "Resonance" technologies. (At one point I even made original-game files for the Usurpers and Caretakers so I could put them in non-SMAX games.) That said, I'd definitely recommend it.
Old July 24, 2002, 01:54   #25
MattyBoy
Prince

Yep, those new tech's are just a pain in the ar$e (is that spelt a$$?). As a result the tech race feels less compelling.
Old July 24, 2002, 02:28   #26
Mr. President
Emperor

The best part about Adaptive Economics is listening to Judaa Marr's cool-sounding voice.
Old July 24, 2002, 03:15   #27
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
As I've bought both SMAC and SMAX at bin prices (+shipping), I've not paid too much for the both of them. SMAX definitely isn't a totally new game, it feels a bit "strange" as there are two histories (planet+aliens) mixed in one, so far from a purely aesthetical point of view. The new factions all seem a bit overpowered (most so the aliens in human hands ...), perhaps with the exception of Fungboy. But they give really a difference to the game (i usually have random factions for the AI). I could well live without the resonance/pulse weapons. Of the special abilities, I like most the soporific gas (roughly, a weaker version of nerve gas, but no atrocity).
The new SPs are nice, though CBA a bit overpowered. Oh, and there are two new missile types: Tectonic payload to raise land (never really used it), and fungal payload which is too expensive to be really useful, but it can be quite a fun to ruin an empire only by planting fungus when the opponent has no means to counter this (no Green SE choice, -1 Planet)
Old July 24, 2002, 06:40   #28
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

I found SMAX to be much better than SMAC because things seem to work. I remember still having the SMAC AI build tons of artilery units even after installing the patch that claimed to fix it.
Old July 24, 2002, 09:31   #29
Method
Emperor

i really like WAVE especially (well actually only) on air units. it counters abilities like trance and AAA so a WAVE chopper can attack without getting killed by AAA defenders. WAVE psi choppers tend to be useful too if you have a high planet rating and the dream twister.

i don't think the new factions are overpowered. you might think the aliens are but all you have to do is nerve gas them .
Old July 24, 2002, 10:27   #30
Pandemoniak
King

There's even simplet than mind nerve then, just send a a couple of probe team in a weak city, and make some drones. Alien will (very often) simply cut nerves of Drones, thus loosing all their "trade-like" energy bonus, which will make them far weaker for about 20 turns.

I dont really think SMAX factions are overpowered, except that whatever the game I played, it always seem that Gaian and Pirates are stronger than the others. Maybe its just the AI which plays better with them, because I dont think they really are more powerful than Free Drones, for example.