Old July 24, 2002, 10:59   #31
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the drones are always the worst faction in my games. their -2 research really hurts the AI because it's too stupid to probe. its worse for the drones than it is for the believers because the drones don't conquer. they just stay out of the way till digital sentience then they get mad at my cybernetic society. i then have to divert resources to eliminate a 5 base faction defended by fission silksteel garrisons.

i rarely play against the pirates, but the AI does seem to play war-like factions better, especially the hive and the cult. the AI does seem to do well with the gaians. it plays the angels well too.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:01   #32
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 04:41
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Well, AI got its favourite factions as well
Old July 24, 2002, 16:52   #33
waab
Prince

Local Time: 06:41
Yepp the AI loves some factions, Gaia, Angels, and Hive. But actuly Drones is never bad in my games, the sites on a huge production, free market and knowledge. They are not far behind the really good scientists...
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old July 24, 2002, 16:57   #34
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Being next to the drones is ok. I cheerfully let them build some of the secrete projects with their high production, then later when the defense technology is so primative its a case of "Oh, pardon me were those YOUR bases??"
Old July 24, 2002, 18:02   #35
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
Following different threads here, I got the impression that the relative strength of the AI factions heavily depends on the map size. On smaller maps (I think) it is mostly the Hive which comes out well. I play almost excluively on big maps (large only when I'm really tired of micromanaging a big empire) and it is almost always the Gaians which come out as the most powerful AI faction. But the Pirates are certainly the most annoying AI faction. Easy to get to war with, they'll snipe all your costal improvements and as soon as you really build two sea units (so that you can enter their base if they have lost the last defender) they are doomed.
Old July 24, 2002, 20:15   #36
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Being next to the drones is ok. I cheerfully let them build some of the secrete projects with their high production, then later when the defense technology is so primative its a case of "Oh, pardon me were those YOUR bases??"
that's exactly what i just did. my elite spartan chaos rovers overran the drone's synthmetal defenders and laser squads to capture the VW. Free drone central's scout patrols just couldn't cut it in 2214
Old July 24, 2002, 23:11   #37
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 14:41
...actually, I should qualify my criticisms:
Fungboy is fun to play and Aliens are fun to play against.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:13   #38
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
AI is just reallt bad with the Free Drones. With all its bonus, it wont do anything to be technologically advanced...

Not the same when I play them myself
Old July 25, 2002, 23:12   #39
MattyBoy
Prince

Drones are (too) simple to play,
just build hard and ignore technology, except to find a way to make probes as early as possible.

Use SE choices that enhance this low-tech approach and you'll destroy all before long.
Old July 26, 2002, 04:27   #40
Pandemoniak
King

I prefer not ignore technology, but to use my industrial capacity to build useful things to get more science. The better thing to do is always to find a couple of peaceful allies (Morgan, Gaians, Cyborgs, Data Angels, etc...) and to exchange technologies. Then with the nexw technologies you got, you trade them for something new, etc..., etc...
Old July 26, 2002, 05:11   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by MattyBoy
Drones are (too) simple to play,
just build hard and ignore technology, except to find a way to make probes as early as possible.

Use SE choices that enhance this low-tech approach and you'll destroy all before long.
Really? My play as free drones is that everyone elses technologically superior armies invade my cities.

IMO, they suck.
Old July 26, 2002, 08:23   #42
Pandemoniak
King

NO, they dont suck.

They are just hard to manage, technologically.

The simplest way to get techs is to find friendly factions such as morgans, gaians, cyborgs, university, etc... who are usually technologically advanced. Then get one of their advanced tech (buy it, probe it, trade it for a base, do whatever u want), and then you trade this advanced tech with another faction to get another advanced tech, then this new advanced tech will be trade with another faction for a new advanced thech, then... ok you know what I mean
Old July 27, 2002, 02:00   #43
MattyBoy
Prince

To me, reducing the cost of producing to the extent that Drones do removes some of the interest from the game and adds to micromanagement. If it encourages you to play a builder game, that seems not to have much point, when you know that it won't have much impact on your tech anyway. i.e: You know that you'll get more tech from others than from your own research so what's the point researching hard?

So then you don't care about research and can afford not to think hard about production and you have a 1 dimensional game.
Old July 27, 2002, 15:35   #44
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MattyBoy
To me, reducing the cost of producing to the extent that Drones do removes some of the interest from the game and adds to micromanagement. If it encourages you to play a builder game, that seems not to have much point, when you know that it won't have much impact on your tech anyway. i.e: You know that you'll get more tech from others than from your own research so what's the point researching hard?

So then you don't care about research and can afford not to think hard about production and you have a 1 dimensional game.

No offense, but I think you're totally wrong. You can definetely produce more tech points a turn than Cyborgs or UoP, with more/better cities, more/better infrastructure, more/better terraforming, etc... Dont underestimated the weight of Secret Projects builded for only 40% of the minerals
As well the crawler method works perfectly : one crawler every two turns for an average city : meaning +2 energy if you have just weak terraforming. In 10 turns, you get 2+4+6+8 =20 energy more, 10 turns after u'll have 20+10+12+14+16+18 = 90. I usually stop this strategy when I have no more place to crawl, and then its time for the War.
Old July 28, 2002, 20:07   #45
MattyBoy
Prince

Thanks, Pandemoniak, for putting up with my slanderous accusations. They correspond to my experience, but I was also trying to provoke more info from you on fun ways to play Drones.

It sounds like it is worthwhile to pursue Research under Domai. I look forward to trying to win with him without taking techs from anybody else. Yet to be seen whether I get the opportunity to build any of those projects first, though.
Old July 29, 2002, 06:39   #46
Pandemoniak
King

Indeed it is hard to get the opportunity to build SP before opponents. But just think that you will usually build any SP for about half the cost.
As well, the mind worm tactic is really cool with Drones. Since you have lots of industry and if you are not technologically advanced, there's no need to stubborn on research. Just give it away for a while, build crowds of mind worms - since you have good chances to win, despite of your lack of technology.

That is why the AI is stupid. Instead of keeping SynthMetal Garrison, get mind worms garrison and attacks !
Old July 29, 2002, 19:24   #47
MattyBoy
Prince

Yep,
I guess mindworms are a natural response to low technology.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:50   #48
Pandemoniak
King

To low technology AND high mineral resources, since they' re quite expensive compared to others units, at the time you can build them
Old July 30, 2002, 10:02   #49
Method
Emperor

the AI will build trance units though
Old July 31, 2002, 02:44   #50
aaglo
King

Local Time: 07:41
Re: how much better is SMAX over SMAC ?
I would say that SMAX is 20€ (slightly over 20$) better than SMAC.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:50   #51
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

I can't believe no one mentioned the GAME KILLER BUG in SMAX! That's the "mystery drone" bug that makes drones appear in the base screen when there are none. This forces you to manage psych from the F4 screen, which is tedious. This inexcusable bug makes SMAX nearly unplayable unless you give up base management and respond to drone riots after the fact.

That said, there are lots of fun additions to SMAX. There is also more challenge for those who no longer find trascend-iron man SMAC challenging. The biggest thing are those nasty spore launchers, which will undo all your terraforming unless you have defending empath arillery. Fungal towers spawn loads of spore launchers, and they are very tough to kill. Also, sea lurks are a menace to coastal bases. Put these together with a lot of new techs, and a SMAX game takes considerably longer than a SMAC game. This is the main reason I won't play SMAX multiplayer --games are too much longer and bad luck with the native life can overwhelm strategic brilliance in a hurry.
Old July 31, 2002, 13:26   #52
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I actually consider the F4 screen very handy to check possible drone riots. You immediately see which bases you should check and which are safe because they have eg lots of talents. The alternative, manually checking each base one by one, is tedious.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:59   #53
Gregurabi
Prince

The false drone display bug in SMAX is fixed in the Linux version. (I happen to be the one who reported it during the beta test.... )
Old August 1, 2002, 12:15   #54
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

If the Mystery Drone Bug is fixed in the Linux version, then it's totally inexcusable not to patch it for Windows!

The problem with drone management from F4 is that you can't tell which bases are about to grow.
Old August 2, 2002, 04:47   #55
MariOne
King

DD, we could on the same line say that as the Maintenance and the GA bugs are fixed in SMAX, then it's totally inexcusable to not patch them for plain SMAC too....

Re the false Drone Display Bug, I have a rather limited experience in SMAX, but I'm 99% positive that the false drone is only displayed in the basewindow screen-bottom citizens icons line.
From inside the basewindow as well, if you select the Psych tab to show how the Drones/Talents are determined by the game factors (instead of the default basezone tiles view), you should see the CORRECT Drone situation on that panel last line.