View Poll Results: Which govt do you stay with all game? If any?
Yes, Despotism. 2 3.64%
Yes, Monarchy. 5 9.09%
Yes, Republic. 13 23.64%
Yes, Democracy. 16 29.09%
Yes, Communism. 3 5.45%
No, I have to switch back and forth. 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20, 2002, 18:17   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do you stay with one Govt type all game?
Do you use one govt type all game?
Old July 20, 2002, 18:34   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Republic (used to be Democracy); switch as necessary to Communist, and back again.

I am just recently venturing into non-Religious civs on occasion by choosing 'Random' civ at the start, so switching has been SO painless!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 20, 2002, 18:59   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:41
In my lastest game, i switched to monarchy and stayed there the whole game. I more or less had to since I had a war going on for more then 3000 years now
I might do some experimenting on different govs later in the game
Old July 21, 2002, 03:29   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:41
Just BTW... you can't really stay with one government throughout the whole game, with the exception of the Despotism, that is...

But I know what you mean... voted for "switch back and forth", though it is usually "switch forth"... First, Despotism to Monarchy/Republic (depends on if I wage wars in the ancient/medieval times), then to Democracy (I really dislike Communism for personal reasons... because of a first hand experience with the real world implementation... ). Used Communism just once while playing a religious civ...
Old July 21, 2002, 06:16   #5
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:41
I either stick with democracy or play this way for domination:

Despotism-Monarchy, -build up military

Monarchy-Republic, - after building marketplaces

Republic-Communism, -after building banks and wall street

Communism-Democracy, -after Uni Sufferage and police stations in place. I then never switch again
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 21, 2002, 06:42   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
I either stick with democracy or play this way for domination:

Despotism-Monarchy, -build up military

Monarchy-Republic, - after building marketplaces

Republic-Communism, -after building banks and wall street

Communism-Democracy, -after Uni Sufferage and police stations in place. I then never switch again
Why not just switch from Republic to Democracy and skip communism?

It is because communism is obviously superior to all types of government?
Old July 21, 2002, 06:47   #7
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:41
You saying Im a lefty?

The military support from communism often gives me more money than democracy - I build big armies. The main reason - no bloody war weariness!!!

That can be dangerous on the hard levels.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 21, 2002, 07:51   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

I go for democracy as soon as I can. It has too many advantages to pass up. Although I recently moved to Regent and I was forced to switch in order to battle war weariness. I guess that once you're in higher levels and the AI is more aggresive it's hard to keep one gov't throughout the game.

So long...
Old July 21, 2002, 10:26   #9
frostycreep
Chieftain

For warmongering i think communism rules, so i stick with it. The way it deals with corruption is cool, cause even if you have loads of cities you can still build stuff at a reasonable rate. You have to build courthouses though.
Old July 21, 2002, 10:57   #10
Venger
King

Local Time: 22:41
I've not found the difference between Republic and Democracy worthy of switching, so I tend to only go to Monarchy, then Republic, or straight to Republic if the tech line allows...

Venger
Old July 21, 2002, 11:32   #11
statusperfect
King

REPUBLIC. Low corruption. Low war weariness. Lots of trade.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:20   #12
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
I've not found the difference between Republic and Democracy worthy of switching
For non-religious civs, this is definitely true, although I like the higher worker rate in Democracy.

Perhaps corruption should be increased from 'nuisance' to 'problematic' in Republic (still not too big a difference from 'minimal'), so that Democracy becomes more worthwile.

BTW, has anyone tested Communism in v1.29f? It is supposed to have the double number of optimal cities now if you have built the Forbidden Palace.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 21, 2002, 13:30   #13
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

jep! monarchy.
Old July 21, 2002, 16:16   #14
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:41
I switch to either Republic or Monarchy, whichever I can get quicker. Then to Democracy. If I were to get into a prolonged war, then I would switch to either Monarchy or Communism, depending on the size and spread of my empire. Then back to Democracy when the war ends.
Old July 21, 2002, 17:46   #15
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

i stick to democracy when i've got it. because of my smaller maps (max. standard) the wars are short and intense. and i'll pay anything for luxury-based happiness. also, i'm not really a warmonger: first build everything, then make an army to give a massive blow to the next opponent (good, land, resources, etc.) and then recover.

only with religious trait, switching makes sence to me.
Old July 22, 2002, 08:15   #16
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:41
If I'm playing a non-religious civ than I switch to republic as soon as it's feasible and stick with it.

If I am playing a religious civ then I switch govts. like Queen Amidala switches hair styles.
Old July 22, 2002, 15:59   #17
planetfall
Prince

Strange poll. Govt varies according to difficulty level and win target. If going for culture win republic will be more appealing than others. If going for long wars, you don't want republic or democracy. A govt that will work at settler level will not work as well at regent level.

NeoStar--why switch to communism? You can research communism to get police stations. If not religious civ then you don't have to wait 4-6 turns X 2 to switch to communism and switch back.

1.29 seems to have increased WW. I think some WW is good, but we need a slider scale instead of button choices. Next game I will have to either reduce WW with republic to match previous versions play or play a religious civ. With increased WW no longer can stick to republic thru the entire game.
Old July 22, 2002, 17:04   #18
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

I myself stick to a slightly moddified Republic, with a small unit support, allowing myself to keep up in a war.
Old July 22, 2002, 18:08   #19
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

planetfall,
When WW gets really high (and especially if you're religious), then check out communism if you haven't already. I had never touched it in Civ2, and I was pleasantly surprised in a (huge/regent/1.21) game I played. Most cities already had police stations and waste was around 15%. I had between 1.5-2.0 times Optimal Cities, I think.

I had to reduce my science spending (Modern age) but was still getting 8-12 turn rates.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 22, 2002, 18:35   #20
N. Machiavelli
Prince

I usually stay Despot until Republic; from there, Democracy. I stay in Demo through thick and thin. Wars don't bother me too much. I always keep 3-4 standing army groups (each consisting of 10 'fast' units [knight etc], 4 'defense' units [musketmen etc], and 6+ bombard units). The extra trade brought in by Democracy usually pays for the army cost. With these numbers at any given time, I make sure that war doesn't last more than 5-10 or so turns; making WW not much of an issue. I've found that quick, profitible warmongering can make Democracy more than worth while.
Old July 22, 2002, 19:26   #21
Thrawn05
King

Democracy, war wearyness dosn't bother me, even on regent.

Guess why I suck at monarch.
Old July 23, 2002, 11:43   #22
Sonic
Warlord

I use despotism and later monarchy, never communism, democracy or republic. In communism corruption is too high (I have unpatched game), in republic and democracy keeping my mighty armies costs too much.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:36   #23
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I switch to republic and stay there.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.