Old July 20, 2002, 19:35   #1
Unconquered
Warlord

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stealth Bomber's Infinite Range
I don't know if this has been posted already by anyone else...

I created a stealth bomber with infinite range and have tested it. It can be intercepted also. Here are the settings for anyone who is interested...

Class: Air
Unit Abilities: Immobile, Infinite Bombard Range, Stealth
Special Actions: Bombard
Unit Statistics: Bombard Range = 0
Air Missions: Bombing = OFF

Operation Range can be set from 1-8 and this controls recon and precision strike (sorry, no infinite precision strike)

I also turned off the load option (Stealth Bombers/Fighters on Carriers )

It also appears that the AI will only use them in an eight tile maximum area. And will not infinte bombard. These settings can be set for the stealth fighter also...
Old July 20, 2002, 19:49   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:41
So your point I assume is Firaxis got this wrong as Stealth should have a much greater range than '8' with precision strike for both human and AI.
Old July 20, 2002, 20:00   #3
Unconquered
Warlord

Yes, I think the Stealth aircraft should have a greater range than 8 to reflect its capabilities as a long range modern bomber. By the time you get stealth, you should be able to fly one of these aircraft half-way around the world and back if you want. If this is too unbalancing, increase the stealth interception chance to a balancing number (maybe 10-15%)
Old July 20, 2002, 21:18   #4
Carver
Prince

"Infinite Bombard Range" was "Infinite Range" before 1.29f. This wasn't intended to give aircraft infinite range. I think its mostly for ICMBs. But yes, of course, the limit of 8 is rediculous. On a huge map 8 is almost useless.

FYI, they are working on a carrier based version of the stealth fighter. The key problem is needing to fold the wings. Its proving difficult to build folding wings that don't reduce stealthiness... but they're still working on it.
Old July 20, 2002, 21:36   #5
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Stealth Bomber's Infinite Range
Quote:
Originally posted by Unconquered
It also appears that the AI will only use them in an eight tile maximum area. And will not infinte bombard. These settings can be set for the stealth fighter also...
And that's the problem.

I've considered doing something like that in a scenario but the AI wont use it and we dont need the AI getting any easier

Keep that on the shelf for MP though That'll bring some fireworks
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)