Old July 21, 2002, 07:56   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3 can't find cd-rom after patch
I finally got round to play civ3.
So after installing and playing a few days(to kill the first few units )I decide to look for the latest patch and install it...this is where the problems start, when I start civ 3 now it says I need to put the civ3-cd in the cd-romdrive and hit ok...when I do so it just stops and doesn't do anything.

Is there a way to solve this?(already did 3 or 4 reinstalls of civ3 and the patch)

Shade
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2002, 12:18   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 06:43
Simply try the old good way and uninstall Civ III,
remove any files left, reboot and install Civ III. Then consider if you want the patch or not. It might work now, so try to install it. Do remember to temporarily disable any anti-virus monitoring software, i.e. McAfee's VShield.
Old July 21, 2002, 13:42   #3
shade
King

sorry for the confussion but with reinstall I meant=> uninstall+delete what is left and then install again.

Shade
Old July 21, 2002, 13:50   #4
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds like you have Safedisk problems. I have them to just email firaxis for a safedisk patch. You can find out how in the FAQ on Civ3.com

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2002, 21:41   #5
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
Sounds like you have Safedisk problems. I have them to just email firaxis for a safedisk patch. You can find out how in the FAQ on Civ3.com
went to look in their FAQ's and only found play-related stuff...

Shade
Old July 21, 2002, 21:51   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
Again, IF you own the original CD, just send a mail to
FIRAXIS. You can even do this if you would for example break your CD.They will send you a new one (as long as you can prove ownership of an original offcourse)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2002, 23:14   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:43
I have the same problem. I went to their site, found a link to this SafeDisk listing, and ... nothing. They just say that they'll send it to you, but don't say anything about why you might need it, or what it is.

Apparently they assume that the problems are so freaking common that there's no explanation needed...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Marquis de Sodaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2002, 03:50   #8
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:43
Long and lengthy....

I had that problem too... But had a few 'issues' I needed to solve first.
One was that I had my CD drive as another letter because I had another drive in when I installed Civ3. [Uninstalling/reinstalling will solve that or...]

You can start the "Registry Editor" by going to the start button and clicking on "Run" then just type in "Regedit" and hit 'ok'. If it says that it can't find that file/program, then go back and select browse when the dialog box comes up, then go to the 'C:\Windows\System" folder and look there for it. It should be there.

Please do not mess with other entries in your registry, as it is an intergal part of your systems operation.

To check the drive letter for your CDROM you can go to your control panel, then to the system icon and go to the device manger tab. Or just go to your start button and click on "Run" and type in "Explorer" or C:\windows\explorer.exe" It will show you in the left window what letter your CDROM is assigned, that is if it sees it

You can see if it's a registry problem by looking into the Regedit. It's under the "HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Inforgames Interactive\Civilization III" in the left window. You'll first have to expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" 'folder' then on and on...
NOTE: that you probably should have another entry: "Civilization III v1.29f" or for the latest patch if you have any. But if you look in that "Civilization III" 'folder' you'll see a "CD_Path" entry and it should be pointing to the drive letter of your CDROM, if it isn't, then more than likely that's where the problem is...

IF AND ONLY IF This seems to be the problem, click on that "CD_Path" Entry in the right window to highlight it, then right click on it and select "Modify". A "Edit Setting" window will come up, down in the "Value data:" entry box is where you put the correct setting. Enter the correct drive letter assigned to your CDROM here with the colon... IE: > " E: " and nothing else, then hit ok. Then close the Registry Editor and then reboot. Then it should be fine from there. If this doesn't solve your problem, then it's more than likely one of the problems that the others have pointed out.
ACTD_Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2002, 06:25   #9
shade
King

thx for all help here...the problem is fixed.

ACTD_Ran I send a mail through there SafeDisk-list and the first answer I got was the same as you posted...but this didn't work ...so I replied this sad news and they send me a patch...what it changes I don't know but it seems to be working-->

Shade
Old July 25, 2002, 12:22   #10
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:43
I've still received no safedisk or even a reply from them... I'll try your suggestions, ACTD_Ran. Thanks

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Marquis de Sodaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2002, 23:50   #11
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:43
OH! I see... SafeDisk is a encryption prog... I see it uses a CVF type setup... Is CIV3 inside the encrypted part of your system?

If you can... You might try to install CIV3 'outsided' of the "Encrypted' part of your HD as there's no real need to have it encrypted. The patch probably addresses the way it handles the drives Just a complete blind guess on my part.
ACTD_Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2002, 05:16   #12
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

It's Infogrames that you should contact for a non Safedisc exe. Firaxis has nothing to do with it.