Clause 7: Yes 30 8.02%
Clause 7: No 15 4.01%
Clause 8: Yes 36 9.63%
Clause 8: No 12 3.21%
Banana (abstain) 3 0.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21, 2002, 08:41   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
THe real OFFICIAL poll: Bill of Rights
Vote yes or no for each clause. All clauses with 2/3 for yes will be included in amendment. Poll closes 7/26 (5 days).

I wrote most of this, but some is taken from proposals by Togas and Sirotnikov (I want to give them credit!).

Clause 1: No person shall be denied the right to become a citizen of Apolytonia.

Clause 2: No citizen shall ever be denied the right to vote in any poll.

Clause 3: Free speech shall not be abridged unless it violates apolyton rules.

Clause 4: No one shall be banned permanently from participating in the democracy game, excluding those who are permanently banned from apolyton. Note that people may still be banned for any amount of tiem, as long as it is not permanent.

Clause 5: THe right to associate into any form of organization shall not be denied.

Clause 6: No citizen may be punished in any way without due process of law.

Clause 7: No president shall ever use a version of the game which is not available to all players.

Clause 8: THe government may not knowingly hide information or give false information to the people.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 21, 2002, 09:10   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ok, I am seriously pissed. It still won't let me vote. I'm going to send a PM to Ming. Anyway, here is how I would have voted: 1 yes 2 yes 3 yes 4 yes 5 no 6 yes 7 no 8 yes.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:12   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

if any of them are especially close your votes will be taken into account.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old July 21, 2002, 10:09   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:43
8x No
Old July 21, 2002, 13:32   #5
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:43
i voted banana AND i voted in each right. Does that make me special?

5-- no. There could be an association with the purpose of splintering off the game into two groups, for instance.

7-- I voted yes, but kinda wish I could take it back. The president can use a different version than others providing that the output is the same. This will probably never come up, but the wording is bad.
Old July 21, 2002, 13:35   #6
Sheik
King

Yes to all!

Sell your photos
Old July 21, 2002, 14:38   #7
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I would vote yes to all, but I can't vote!
Old July 21, 2002, 15:56   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:43
Guys, there is a thread or two about voting problems in the Community forum - I'm too lazy to find it for you though.

I can't vote first time either - but I have found if I go back to the thread and vote again, it works this time around.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 21, 2002, 19:55   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:43
1. Yes. We want to share the fun with every interested people !
2. Yes. Provided we can (temporarily) ban someone from citizenship

3. No. It should say : "unless it violates rules of Apolytonia". I'll explain why :
In all cultures/civilizations/communities, there are some things people can't say without getting a sanction (it could be death penalty for insulting the king, it could be angry looks for being rude... anyways, for a sociologist, there are taboos in every human groups).
Let's face it, taboos DO hinder human freedom of speech. When the law doesn't punish their transgression, the society does (just imagine what would become of someone wearing an "I love Ben Laden" T-shirt in NY).
In our young Democracy Game, we have specific taboos, who have nothing to do with the rest of Apolyton forums. The best example is playing ahead and tell the future : ask most non DemoGamers, they'll spontaneously ask why it's bad. By forbidding soemone to tell the results of his playing ahead, we actually hinder his freedom of speech.
As time will pass by, we'll develop new taboos, like any society / community. If we don't want some blind sanctions for those who transgress the taboos, we need to stop this "absolute freedom of speech" hypocrisy. If we do this, our justice and laws will exert a fair and even punishment, rather than letting the populace do the dirty job.
(I insist : look closely at social relations, and you'll see that even politeness is a limitation to freedom of speech, albeit not a legal one)

4. Yes. We should forbid mistakes and always give second chances. However, we should have very long banning periods for those who act like jerks for the sake of it.

5. Yes. Otherwise, this is not a democracy.

6. Abstain. Our newborn law can't prevent everything (esp. things about breaking taboos, see above). If our law has ways to punish retractively (meaning a new law can apply for crimes before it was made), then my vote would be yes. But if not, well, our law cannot prevent everything.

7. Abstain. If only an extremely tiny minority (say 1-2 people) can't play with the new version, I say we could continue. Esp. since very few people attend turnchats, and play along. Most citizens rely on minister's feedback, or reporters, to live the game (IMO).

8. Yes. The government shall serve the people of Apolytonia, not the other way around. If we lose this sight, we aren't a democracy anymore.
Old July 22, 2002, 09:15   #10
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I am nervious about this whole idea....
but I'll vote in favor anyways.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 22, 2002, 13:45   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Guys, there is a thread or two about voting problems in the Community forum - I'm too lazy to find it for you though.

I can't vote first time either - but I have found if I go back to the thread and vote again, it works this time around.
I am pretty convinced it is an AOL problem, as I have never had trouble using anything else. Perhaps it has to do with thier ip's, perhaps the way it handles cookies, I don't know, but voting is spotty when I use it, but perfect when I use other isp's.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 23, 2002, 21:16   #12
civman2000
Emperor

bump...so far all clauses except 4 and 7 are passing.

Old July 23, 2002, 21:33   #13
jdd2007
NationStates
King

the most important and controversial amendment is missing. what happened to

Quote:
5. No one shall be denied the right to post an unofficial poll, unless it violates apolyton rules, is off topic, or it is redundant with a pre-existing thread.
?

[from the old bill of rights thread]

we should at least vote on it. it is by far the most important one, but you didnt put it into the poll
Old July 23, 2002, 21:42   #14
jdd2007
NationStates
King

because i dont think we ever had an official poll for it
Old July 23, 2002, 22:55   #15
Timeline
King

According to your own rules civman you must count the abstain percent against every one of your "options".

Kinda crazy huh?
Old July 24, 2002, 08:33   #16
civman2000
Emperor

jdd: I think that is covered in freedom of speech.

Timeline: Not so. Everything is based on how many votes the "yes" options get, that is all that really matters. IIRC, you were the one that made me pointlessly also have no options. If someone votes abstain AND votes yes for all the options, the abstain is really banana and they're jokingly voting for it. If they don't vote at all in any option they actually are abstaining, and the vote count is increased by one, so abstains are counted by just looking at the yes votes.

Old July 24, 2002, 10:54   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:43
This poll is ridiculous. 39 voters so far, and if Civman wouldn't bump it permanently, it would be already hidden at page 5. Nobody seems even to care to read through this stuff. For a constitutional amendment, that is pretty unpopular.
Old July 24, 2002, 11:20   #18
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I just don't think many people are voting right now. My election thread has only 34 votes.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 24, 2002, 11:26   #19
Epistax
Prince

Well in relation to the discussion over a quroum of the legislature (all of us) voting... our census right now is 53. Does this mean over half voted?

I don't see how we can establish a number of voters needed when the number we have is changing all the time.

Well there I go, this topic is now on 3 or 4 threads.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:00   #20
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

35 votes in my election thread now.

What I suggest is use the census from the previous week. To be honest, I really don't care much either way about this minimum vote though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 24, 2002, 12:02   #21
Timeline
King

I don't even bother voting in the census anymore, I think alot of others don't too.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:06   #22
Apocalypse
Emperor

Then the best solution would be just to drop the issue of a minimum vote as there is nothing else to base it on.
Old July 24, 2002, 23:18   #23
Captain
King

IIRC, in Phoenatica, they base it on some percentage of the # of participants in their most recent Presidential election. I'm not sure what that % is.

btw, I only have 45 votes or so in my nomination confirmation/approval poll.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 25, 2002, 00:39   #24
Kramerman
Prince

In the impeachment process amendment that is being worked on, on what we have so far, there is a poll where only the High court justices vote. Would this interfere with the 2nd clause of this ammendment? Im not going to vote for or against that clause, though i dont think my vote in that case would really matter.

Kman

civman, can you reall pass amendments by clauses like this? hmmmm, clever.
Old July 25, 2002, 07:46   #25
civman2000
Emperor

It is not a poll. A poll is something made as a poll at apolyton using the forum feature, that will be an in-court vote without actually making a thread with a poll.

Old July 25, 2002, 07:49   #26
civman2000
Emperor

Kman: I could have done the exact same thing by passing each independently with its own poll but I think this way is simplerand more efficient.

Old July 25, 2002, 09:33   #27
Sheik
King

Should there be an amendment that says we have the right to not speak at a trial? Does the court have the right to question people and do we have to answer?

Sell your photos
Old July 25, 2002, 10:56   #28
Epistax
Prince

I believe the court is only allowed to question the plainteff and defendent, and there's nothing stating either side has to answer. Of course not answering would be just about the worst thing to do for your case (getting caught in a lie would be about the only thing worse).

These aren't the opinions of the court, we haven't discussed this yet. Should the court be able to request someone's presence?

I don't think the court would refuse to hear from anyone, unless it became frivolous (many people making statements that don't matter, or used as a delay).

I'll look this up and may edit my post.
Old July 25, 2002, 15:17   #29
civman2000
Emperor

hmmm...when this was drafted the details of the court were still very far from being resolved, but a "Bill of Rights II" dealing with protecting defendants and with maybe a right or two I think of that needs including.

Old July 26, 2002, 08:55   #30
civman2000
Emperor

POLL CLOSED! All clauses except clause 7 passed. The following shall be added to the constitution:

Amendment IV: Bill of Rights

Clause 1: No person shall be denied the right to become a citizen of Apolytonia.

Clause 2: No citizen shall ever be denied the right to vote in any poll.

Clause 3: Free speech shall not be abridged unless it violates apolyton rules.

Clause 4: No one shall be banned permanently from participating in the democracy game, excluding those who are permanently banned from apolyton. Note that people may still be banned for any amount of time, as long as it is not permanent.

Clause 5: The right to associate into any form of organization shall not be denied.

Clause 6: No citizen may be punished in any way without due process of law.

Clause 7: The government may not knowingly hide information or give false information to the people.