Old July 29, 2002, 18:18   #31
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ah yes, I already thought they looked suspiciously... suspicious.
Old July 29, 2002, 18:20   #32
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

By the way, does that yellow bump there under Sicily means you captured Malta?
Old July 30, 2002, 06:58   #33
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Unfortunatelly no. I had a little war with Aragon that owes it but it was too hard for me to have three wars in one time
(with Oman and Poland), so I quitted here.
I captured Somalia on the other hand. It was very hard, my Indian Fleet is pretty small and Omanian is huge so I had big problems here, but there are only two cities left (after signing a peace treaty) in Omanian hands; Zanzibar and Maskat, both trade centers that I have to have...
On the other hand I got to the point that I should move east., It should be easy. People there are sunni so they won't rebel as those dumb protestants and catholics in the west, and I wish to capture Samarqand... If I'll succeeed in provoking a war, I can be sure I'll take it.
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2002, 12:33   #34
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:46
NM, wrong thread.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:51   #35
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

it's a cool game, too bad I care for BB too much
Ecthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2002, 15:08   #36
Heresson
Emperor

I experienced the worst war in my history. It lasts for 4 years now and will still be going. I decided to not let the beys rule my country, but when I had something like 100
rebelled provinced I decided to back off and head for compromise when starting it again from autosave.
But what happened then? Many revolts took place too!
So I decided to continue my first struggle and in fact after a gruelling fight I'm on a good way. It had just one bad point; my state lost territory for the first time. Not me to be precise, but my vassal Savoie lost Provence to the French and I had no time to help them...

What did you expect, Dolphin?

What's BB? I know only two things named like that...
B.Bardot and B.Brosing...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	update.gif
Views:	111
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	20978  
Old July 30, 2002, 18:28   #37
Heresson
Emperor

Some questions;
-what are those explorers that messages say that appear in my provinces? Or conquiscadors? I can't see them?
-what is the sure way to provoke a war?
Old July 30, 2002, 19:36   #38
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 00:46
Explorers are naval captains. They'll show up in your harbors (with at least one ship) and Conquistadors are (now) 500 cavalry led by a Conquistador (generally normal military value, but keeps your attritrition rate to almost zero; good for seiges). They just pop up in your provinces or ports always seperate from existing armies. The land units has a gold spanish looking helmet next to it.

Provoking war? You could always claim their throne to get a temporary casus belli; start the war yourself.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2002, 05:02   #39
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
Say, how do you make these maps? Print screen doesn't seem to work if I press the button in-game. And where are the print screen files supposed to appear?
F11 doesn't work?
Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2002, 05:07   #40
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
I recall downloading some "scenarios" but I don't know exactly where to put them. t seems it is like with early civ stuff, You have to supersede normal files with them... But it's annoiying and I'm afraid that I'll loose some file or roegwt which ones were modified ones...
Well.. The Scenarios folder would be the obvious choice

It depends on what kind of scenario you downloaded. If it's just a file named .eug you put it in the scenario folder. If there are more files (various modified game files) there should also be a readme to explain where to put the files.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:14   #41
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
I experienced the worst war in my history. It lasts for 4 years now and will still be going. I decided to not let the beys rule my country, but when I had something like 100
rebelled provinced I decided to back off and head for compromise when starting it again from autosave.
So - you chickened out eh? I took the same path last I played the Ottomans too. I had about the same extent as you do and it was a bit of a struggle (I counted almost 300 rebellions for the next ten years )

Quote:
But what happened then? Many revolts took place too!
So I decided to continue my first struggle and in fact after a gruelling fight I'm on a good way. It had just one bad point; my state lost territory for the first time. Not me to be precise, but my vassal Savoie lost Provence to the French and I had no time to help them...
Oh - I'm glad you went back to the fighting. It's a great feeling when you manage to ride off a storm like that

I lost five-six provinces myself - a sunni Siebenbürgen revolted, and was soon vassalised (for later to be annexed), a sunni 2-prov Armenia likewise. The Greek revolted, and I took back Hellas and vassalised the rest (Morea). I also lost a prov. that defected to Persia...

Quote:
What's BB? I know only two things named like that...
B.Bardot and B.Brosing...
BB= BadBoy.

It's a reating for how bad you have been - it's reflected in the dilomatic screen ("You have a honorable reputation" etc.)
Old July 31, 2002, 05:55   #42
Maniac

Heresson, I noticed that your core regions are still largerly orthodox. But wouldn't these be the first ones to convert to Sunni, as you have the Greek and Turkish cultures as state cultures, thus increasing the chances of a succesful conversion?
Old July 31, 2002, 06:09   #43
Heresson
Emperor

Still stuggering after my great rebel war (I don't know if I told that already, but it was reducement from +3 to -3 of stability which resulted in so many revolts I barely managed to close the windows), I decided to attack someone just for fun. When I heard I have an opportunity
of attacking Denmark i didn't really enjoy it. It consisted of part of Norway (muchly reduced by Swedes), of Denmark and large part of Germany that unfortunatelly wasn't accesabe to me. I wasn't too happy about invading a protestant state... I had no protestant provinces anymore so I reduced tolerance towards them to zero
You know. But it was allied with one little catholic state in France and to Bohemia. I didn't have anything against annecting the first one and the second one too.
Bohemia got too big recently, and anyway it still had two catholic provinces (I didn't show it on earlier map, sorry). So I attacked Denmark... And none of those their allies that I wished to attack me attacked me! I signed peace treaty with exotical to me Spain and England, and thougt I'll just let this war end. But Danes were ambitious. they kept attacking my Italian provinces with silly small
armies, crushed by me one after another. Eventuallly I decided to invade Denmark. It wasn't easy, I had no Baltic fleet. So half of my brave mediterrean fleet was sent. it made all the way to Gda?sk, crushing danish fleets,
but experiencing heavy casualities. When it reached the destination it was almost gone. But I managed to transport several small groups of troops one by one to Jutland, and captured Holstein and Jutland, and besieged Copenhagen. Still though I had a good winning ratio the didn't want to give me even one province
(+38, one province worth 16 oter one 12). I took Copenhagen and only them they agreed to give me what I wanted. earlier they just kept proposing me small sums of money. At this time, new war broke out, as I attacked and later annexed Burgundy, and Nubia with Russia dared to protect it. I was waiting for war with both but was badly prepared. When Russia attacked Afganistan, weak but Huuuuge state reaching from Samara to Indian ocea that I would conquer if I had a "reason" (damn I have! i want it!), and run over it, I sent a lot of armies along their borders. Perhaps they read the message as they signed peace treaty with Afghanistan taking just one
province, Samara. but later I had a lot of revolts, and the mentioned war, and I had almost no armies
there, and at the start Russians even entered my territory. Still I was getting stonger and stronger
and when I finished with Burgundy and had all Nubia occupied, I turned to be the winning side
and again took everything of their densier populated provinces except for Samara (finally have taken it)
and Wo?ogda (besieged). But they didn't want to sign peace treaty as well as Nubia didn't. Eventually
Nubia agreed to be my vassal, but I have to leave her 2 not one province, and Russia handed
me over Nowogród Wielki but just with Saratów, Tambów, Samara, Twer, Riaza?, while I had it all
and could easily occupy their northern provinces as they barely could produce any units.
However continuing this war made no sense. I had +99 already and as Nowogród alone is _40,
I would just have to resign of even more provinces later)
But I am happy. My problem now is Denmark provinces. I'll try to convert Jutland, but Holstein
is too expensive so I guess I'll have to make it a vassal.
I'm a bit afraid of France and Sweden, they're growing in power. Also, I'm in debts.
(later note) I was right to be afraid of Sweden... It attacked me with France and half of
Europe. I wasn't ready so I bought a peace treaty.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:22   #44
Heresson
Emperor

"Provoking war? You could always claim their throne to get a temporary casus belli; start the war yourself."

How do I claim someone's throne?
I can't strt the war myself. I don't want to loose barely
returned stability, and anyway as one sign says:
"All world hates us"
Thanks for info about explorers and conquiscadors.

"It depends on what kind of scenario you downloaded. If it's just a file named .eug you put it in the scenario folder. If there are more files (various modified game files) there should also be a readme to explain where to put the files."

I'm too lazy for that.

"Oh - I'm glad you went back to the fighting. It's a great feeling when you manage to ride off a storm like that"

Yeah. Strangely later they got quite peaceful despite I still had 0/-1 stability (I didn't notice changing my innovation changes stability, dumb me, and I changed it twice...)
I managed to survive that and lead Russian war succesfully but I'm a bit ashamed of my short Swedish war... But I had just 16 people in Denmark and 11 in Tula,
6 in Egypt and 9 in Yemen + 4 in Somalia and 22 in Persia.
That was too little to contain agression of halof of Europe...

I see no reason for converting my faithfull orthodox citizens. Anyway if converting some province costs 3500
gold, I don't think I can afford it right now.
Old July 31, 2002, 09:28   #45
Maniac

This is my Byzantine Empire btw. Small compared to yours, but almost all my provinces are orthodox and/or state cultured (=orthodox in the future). Siebenburgen (free CBs on Poland and Austria) and Genoa are my vassals. I haven't diplo-annexed Genoa yet because they own two Muslim provinces at the Black Sea. I first want to convert protestant Danzig before I introduce another religion in my pure christian empire.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screensave2byz.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	21043  
Old July 31, 2002, 18:11   #46
Heresson
Emperor

Very very nice! Especially that I love Byzantium and that I love violet... In what game was it?

I cut down on wars and tsrted modernising my state.
At first I couldn't afford much but later managed to
place a hjudge and a gouvernor in all my numberous provinces which I thought would never happen. Meanwhile there was a new "beyish" problem but I took the middle choice to not trouble myself with that. And when I fiunished it, and started reaching Spain in technology (still far behind England and France especially), and started introducing my heavy fortification program (already fortified to maximum for me level all the fortresses along the western borders, and in Austria, and started working over Russian border), here was a new problem with beys and I took the drastic option. New great civil war started, but I just finished it... Succesfully, I haven't lost a single province, got my stability back. Sadly meanwhile there was another proposition of getting less backword, but I had enough revolts already, You can believe me.
My questions;
-can I pay back a lend before the deadline? How?
-All are building a lot of units, only most of my vassals (except for Venice)
don't do it. Why?
-What exactly causes that a province belongs to one or another trade center?
-Can You create new trade centers?
-again. how do I claim one's throne?
Old July 31, 2002, 20:19   #47
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
My questions;
-can I pay back a lend before the deadline? How?
-All are building a lot of units, only most of my vassals (except for Venice)
don't do it. Why?
-What exactly causes that a province belongs to one or another trade center?
-Can You create new trade centers?
-again. how do I claim one's throne?
1. Nope. You cannot.
2. Some vassals get a bit passive - could have something to do with the fact they have to give you the money they should have built troops for
3. Among other things the province owners trade efficiency, his knowledge of surrounding provinces, trade levels of owners of surrounding CoTs etc.
4. Not without cheating (I mean editing ). You can add CoTs by editing the scanario file or by editing events.
5. You need to have a Royal Marriage. You can then claim their throne (it will destroy relations to all other countries you have RMs with though)
Old August 1, 2002, 07:22   #48
Heresson
Emperor

Thanks for answers.

"
You need to have a Royal Marriage. You can then claim their throne (it will destroy relations to all other countries you have RMs with though)"

No matter, he he he. So how do I get their throne, then?
Old August 1, 2002, 09:49   #49
Maniac

You just get a Casus Belli on them. Then you still have to declare war and grab the land you claimed. I think so at least since I never used the option.
Old August 1, 2002, 13:55   #50
Heresson
Emperor

Ok. I had some problems with the game, it kept crushing but later fortunatelly stopped. Now my problem is that I
vassalised Oman and wanted to annex it and Venice (3 trade centers!) My problem was that earlier I convinced my dear vassals Switzerland and Venice to ally with me. Now I found the alliance is gone. Perhaps because they started to hate me again. Ok. I stated giving Venice gifts and convinced it to ally with me again, it is my vassal for
300 years or so, and it loves me now, but still I cannot offer it annex. Perhaps it has something to do with this;
"... you need to have the favour rating over 190 (OK!), and OR as a result of peace treaties. I hate those abbreviations in the game. How can I know what they mean? So, what's
this OR, and how should I get it?

One more thing. Even if I guarant someone's independance and then someone attacks it, I still haven't got a casus belli for them. WHY?
Old August 1, 2002, 14:16   #51
August Borms
Prince

It's "... you need to have the favour rating over 190, OR as a result of peace treaties", not "and OR" so I don't think it's an abbreviation (although I'm not sure what they mean with that "result of peace treaties"

Are you and Venice both at peace? You can't annex a vassal when they or you are at war.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:28   #52
Heresson
Emperor

We are at peace, we are allied... I just don't get it.
Old August 1, 2002, 15:59   #53
Maniac

Muslims can't annex Christians. And that "OR as a result of peace treaties" probably refers to military annexations.
Old August 2, 2002, 03:08   #54
Heresson
Emperor

Damn. So that's it.
I have Polish version, I forgot about that. Dumb me.
So this OR isn't any abbreviation, but You can't tell me what is it.
Now, I had a big war. I attacked Russia which made England and Aethiopia attack me. I overruned Russia, and now reduced it to Moscow only, captured one English province and succesfully defended myself against its attacks in Italy,
still I had a problem when I allied with Sweden and it demanded me attack Denmark. So I did. I had problems there with my Aethiopian war still going, but when I started to win, captured Copenhagen and besieged Bawarian cities, they signed peace treaty and I had to return from my western conquests. Aethiopian war wasn't going too well,
so eventually I just took two provinces. My troops seemed to be reduced by a half from just moving from one to another province there!

(Another two wars with Denmark and allies brought me possesities in Africa, Brazil, and Germany)

Last edited by Heresson; August 2, 2002 at 05:33.
Old August 2, 2002, 05:45   #55
Heresson
Emperor

a map,
and a question;
could somebody, please, tell me, what it tells You in English version when You keep your cursor over "annex" button?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	update.gif
Views:	126
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	21235  
Old August 2, 2002, 15:44   #56
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Turkish hordes are EVERYWHERE!
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2002, 19:14   #57
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Some scary artwork there.
Old August 3, 2002, 05:16   #58
Carolus_Rex
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Some scary artwork there.
What he/she (?) said.
Old August 3, 2002, 06:29   #59
Heresson
Emperor

Unfortunatelly, that is the end.
I was just preparing for another conquests in Africa and gathering great army there when the game ended.
For Turkish hordes everywhere wait wait until Turkey will enter EU... Yet, sooner You'll see Polish hordes...
Old August 5, 2002, 08:25   #60
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

just how does one revive the byzantine empire? I tried to play them once and got f*cked up immediately.

also tried the duchy of Hellas, there is just no way!
Ecthy is offline   Reply With Quote