Old July 22, 2002, 10:52   #1
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Problem with Sounds in Colonization
Well, I looked through the other sections of the forum and found that nothing really fit for what I am asking, so this is where I will

I have installed the game, Colonization by Sid Meier on my computer, but alas the sounds do not work! All the options for sound cards are outdated as the game is older than Civ2, maybe even Civ I tried choosing Sound blaster or compatible, but it still doesn't produce a sound. So anyone have any suggestions?
Old July 22, 2002, 16:05   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well if you have windows 2000 or windows xp, you're screwed and have to get a special hardware management program (runs $50 or more!)

If you have windows 98 or older, you need to figure out the exact settings of your soundcard (from hardware settings in control panel) and try fiddling around with the settings in the colonization setup. (one of the Soundblaster incarnations as your soundcard is probably your best bet).

So is there any particular reason why you chose to install Colonization after it's been out for almost as long as civilization 1?
Old July 22, 2002, 20:09   #3
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 12:47
Heh. You probably should have tried the Classic Games forum - ie: The one directly below Sleague.

And I'd be interested to know if you can get it to work. My PC has exactly the same problem. Colonization sounds aren't much to write home about in any case but its still a pretty good game overall ...
Old July 23, 2002, 00:55   #4
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actually, I have Windows Me which is DOS based like 95 and 98, so does that help or do I have to do the matching thing until it works?

And yes, I could have posted in the CLassic Games Forum, but I didn't

And why so late I have chosen to play Colonization? Well, I bought that game I'd say 6 or 7 years ago, and played it on a regular Pentium 100mhz computer And that computer became outdated and the game colected dust, but recently I decided I wanted to play it again as I remembered how much fun it is, almost like Civ2.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:52   #5
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
You know, back before my HD had to reformat I did a lot of comparissons and basically figured that when Brian Reynolds went and wrote Colonization, he basically took the base of that and converted large portions of its code into Civ2 because the similarities are staggering (especially in the layout of the text files).