Old July 22, 2002, 11:28   #1
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bizarre Greek Evacuation
First, I'm still on v1.07 - I know it's buggy and I'm crazy to not patch, but get over it.

My Egyptian Cavalries were finally able to throttle the Hoplite-loving Greeks - as Athens was being bombarded by my cannons, a second force was sweeping the territory and cutting off the roads to their capitol, then the horses, saltpeter and iron, and finally the luxuries. FUN. Athens, Sparta, MINE. The Greeks had a centralized empire with one satellite city nestled in the Chinese territory. After I had 6 or 7 of their cities, a very strange thing occurred. Every city in their central location lost all of their units. I was able to simply hop right in, though there were resistors as usual. I never saw a mass evacuation of units, and I had cavalries on mountains at every border. The one city in Chinese territory had become their capitol, and I guess the Chinese gave them nationalism because they had a rifleman in that city. Needless to say I felt like the Greek AI had just given up - it certainly sped up my war (I let them have their pathetic last city, and they gave me nationalism in exchange for peace) but definitely weirded me out. Anyone else have something like this happen to them?
Old July 22, 2002, 11:43   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Bizarre Greek Evacuation
Seems like a strange bug, I'd say. I once experienced something a bit similar, but that was much easier to understand (actually, I applauded the AI for that!). One of the AIs founded a new city in the no-man's land that was a result of my recent war with another AI neighbour of mine. As I had different plans than to let someone creep into "my" new territory, I declared war one or two turns later... and guess what! The AI packed his sacks and went back home! It actually left the city undefended... I just marched in through open gates. The only better solution was to abandon the city completely...

Just BTW - do yourself a favour and upgrade to 1.29f... it will be easier for the others to help you with troubles. Most people here play with 1.21f or 1.29f now and their experience is based mostly on these versions. If you use 1.07f, you are not likely to get a very helpful response.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:25   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You may have witnessed them losing their units to the bank. If they were in a gov't form that requires payment to support units, and they ran out of gold, guess what? The units disband until the economy evens out. (tho I don't know if improvements get sold off too)

BTW, 1.07 is buggy and you are crazy not to patch.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.