Old July 22, 2002, 17:49   #1
Trelane
Settler

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Slo-o-ow editor
The "slow scroll" problem is still with us. Firaxis didn't express any intention of making CivIII more compatible with up-to-date video drivers anyway, so I expected as much. But I did not expect the editor to grind to a screechig crawl.

Under the older versions, any square modification, whether it be changing the geography or adding a resource or a river or whatever, would take place in a fraction of a second after clicking the mouse, even when working on huge maps. But under 1.29f, a modification takes about two seconds on a large map and five on a huge map. The work on England and Ireland alone (not including fish and whales) on the Kitten of Chaos map would have taken five minutes.

"HIill!" (one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four, one thousand and five), "Coal!" (one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four, one thousand and five), "River!" (one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four, one thousand and five)..."
Old July 22, 2002, 18:03   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Same with me.

At least, menu navigation is fast so I can still make MODs succesfully.

But trying to make map or place units?

Impossibile!
Old July 22, 2002, 18:03   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 04:48
thats was a good read!
Old July 22, 2002, 18:04   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:48
I know what you mean... I'm glad I got my huge-sized US East Coast map done in 1.21f. 1.29f runs like molassas. It's especially difficult placing units that I have to change the name, experience level and AI strategy of... takes about twenty seconds per unit, and with about 100 units total, it takes about a half hour to place all units (not to mention that I've had to redo all the units a few times)...
Old July 22, 2002, 19:04   #5
Psycho Billy
Settler

Hmmm... I don't have any of these speed problems. Are you working at normal zoom level?
Old July 22, 2002, 19:24   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Billy
Hmmm... I don't have any of these speed problems. Are you working at normal zoom level?
Yep, normal.

My machine is about 720 mHz. What is yours?
Old July 22, 2002, 19:51   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Yep, normal.

My machine is about 720 mHz. What is yours?
I have two computers, a 550MHz tower and a 1.6GHz laptop. Both have 256MB of RAM and 32MB video cards. The editor on both is very very very slow.

I think this is because it's not using the ingame game engine, only a software emulator if you will.

Anyone who using GtkRadiant for levels for Q3 and such know the feeling... the preview is bad, only because it doesn't use the game engine.
Old July 22, 2002, 20:22   #8
Jon Shafer

Well for some reason, it's fine for some people, and for others with 3 gHz systems it runs slower than IE on my 992 P1 60 mHz.
Old July 22, 2002, 20:28   #9
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I scroll at an alright speed but still not acceptable. I have a 1.9 gHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB RAM and a Radeon 8500 graphics card.

Sell your photos
Old July 22, 2002, 20:42   #10
trevor
Warlord

A little thing I discovered, you can turn down the graphics quality and it picks up speed. But then again I've got a P4 and 194MB of RAM. So I may be a lucky one.
Old July 23, 2002, 09:26   #11
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Great new guys!

I have found a workaround (at least for my PC).

Go to Conrol Panel --> System Properties --> Performance

There you should find a slider for level of hardware graphic acceleration (that's actualy 2D hardw. acc. which evey modern video card has)

Lower accel. by one point.

And edior will becom faster.
Scrolls will be much better, and other things will be more bareable (still not great speed, but I have 333Mhz Celeron you know).