Old July 23, 2002, 01:44   #1
Dominikos
King

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
All Civs, great and small
Just how the hell do some of you manage to build 25 cities? 35 cities?

Ahhhhhhh!

I'm lucky to get six cities playing at monarch level!

Oh God, I'm backward.

------------------
~Emperor Dominik~
Old July 23, 2002, 03:43   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1) Expand early and put a high priority on it
2) Fight oscillating wars, meaning prune your neighbors early and don't let them grow. Grow yourself into their territory. Take their cities, negotiate some more for peace and fill gaps/replace razed cities quickly with own settlers. But don't kill them too erly, only after they ceased to give you something useful for peace.
3) Play on a bigger map and don't let the AI build more cities than you.
Old July 23, 2002, 21:19   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Having the longevity wonder helps too.
Old July 23, 2002, 22:14   #4
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:49
Starting off with multiple grasslands, a floodplain with wheat, a cow or two, and a pheasant. Not to mention the strategic and luxury resources that just *happen* to be lying around.

(That only occurred in one game. Then I realized that using the map editor made the game boring.)

But it also depends on how good your start is. Some give more food, and an early luxury will be at least a 10-turn difference at higher levels. Of course, luck is involved....
Old July 24, 2002, 00:17   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
As the domestic minister would say in this case:
"build more settlers"

@ miccofl: what good is this going to do in the ancient age??

ot: @phunny: what's the name of that writer again? (from your sig)
Old July 24, 2002, 01:03   #6
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Gee...would you believe me if I said I didn't know? I just thought the song was one of the phunniest things I've heard...
Old July 24, 2002, 01:04   #7
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

"They're coming to take me away ha ha" is a classic song written by Napoleon XIV
Old July 24, 2002, 13:56   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
thanks, I'll see if I can find it on eugh in the shop
Old July 24, 2002, 16:35   #9
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 05:49
A lot depends on your settings and starting location but I usually:

1. Expand, expand, expand for the first 3/4000 years or so.

2. Pick a nearby civ and prepare to 'annex' it into my empire .

After that I usually have enough land for the rest of the game. Just look out for other civs that grow big .
Old July 24, 2002, 21:07   #10
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:49
I am bad at ultra early wars, because all I do is build settlers to make more cities and my empire is way too big for my army. Dominikos, how come it says you joined Apolyton in 1969?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 24, 2002, 21:34   #11
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:49
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I am bad at ultra early wars, because all I do is build settlers to make more cities and my empire is way too big for my army. Dominikos, how come it says you joined Apolyton in 1969?
He's a 1970er. Instead of building settlers to expand your empire, build horsemen. They expand your empire, too.

Typically this is what I'd do, playing the Japanese (Militaristic and Religious, perfect for warmongers). I'd make a beeline to research horseback riding (The Wheel, Warrior Code -- Horseback Riding) Since you already start with the wheel, you already know where the horses are. So while you're researching the tech, crank out some settlers and workers to secure your supply. By the time you get the tech you should have somewhere between 5-7 cities, sufficient to convert some into warmachines and others into infrastructure powerhouses, for the moment.

Crank out some horsemen (make sure you have barracks first), say 7-8 before making your move towards your nearest neighbour. One of your cities should produce spearmen (to garisson the cities you will capture.) It shouldn't be too difficult to subdue them if your war factories continue producing horsemen as you advance towards them. By the end of the war, you should already have captured at least half their cities, crippling them severely enough for the meantime, and have a band of at least 12-16 horsemen, sufficient for your next war. Now it is up to you, to finish your enemy or take a break. I take a break as long as my victim can still provide me with something usefull like techs or gold (not per turn). Once they've outlived their usefullness, they shall be executed.

By now you should have 9-14 cities and 12-16 horsemen lying around. Your call, keep rolling or take a break until you get Chivalry so you can get knights (or Samurai if you're playing the Japs)

It's a very basic strategy, but it works well for most games I've played. And it's a hell of a GL manufacturing plant.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 08:36   #12
MattHiggs
King

Civ3 Strategy: Throw it in the bin.
Old July 25, 2002, 09:37   #13
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:49
That's helpful, Matt. Thanks for your contribution.

Iskandar Reza,

If you really want to use the Japanese to their full potential, hold off on discovering Horseback Riding. Build chariots - lot's of 'em, while hording cash. Then upgrade them en masse to horsemen ($20 each). Chariots are 20 shields each, whereas horsemen are 30. In ancient times that's a significant difference, and will allow you to produce a much bigger force. The AI will spend its time building more settlers/spears.

Dominikos,

What map size and what level are you playing at?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 25, 2002, 10:19   #14
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Iskandar Reza,

If you really want to use the Japanese to their full potential, hold off on discovering Horseback Riding. Build chariots - lot's of 'em, while hording cash. Then upgrade them en masse to horsemen ($20 each). Chariots are 20 shields each, whereas horsemen are 30. In ancient times that's a significant difference, and will allow you to produce a much bigger force. The AI will spend its time building more settlers/spears.

-Arrian
I usually have very little cash early in the( I push science as far as I can before diminishing returns sets in; -4 per turn is ok if I believe I can sustain it with my cash reserves)

I'll give that strat a try though.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 11:34   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:49
This strat will result in you falling way behind in tech (I normally research bronze, iron, warrior code, *another tech of my choice* and then horseback riding. As I intend to upgrade roughly 20 chariots to horses and 10 warriors to swords, I need 800 gold. Believe it or not, that's not hard to accumulate.

Then you beat tech out of the AI until you're all caught up. Your forces shouldn't need all that much in the way of reinforcements if your first move in conquered cities is to poprush a spearman. You core cities should begin building improvements as the tech rolls in, so that by the middle ages you're prepared to out-research and out-build the AI.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 25, 2002, 18:43   #16
ShuShu
Chieftain

What a bloodthirsty path to 25+ cities...
... If all the blood and guts doesn't work for you, try this.

Carve out an easily defensible realm.

Trade for all your technological needs.

Develope your empire.

Stay out of wars.

When the big wars start, let you big cities crank out a settler per turn to fill in the gaps cause by retreating cultures. Between that and flipping, youwill reach 25 + cities easily, but heck, once you get that many, you are only building them for resources and luxuries anyway...

I have had many OCS games yield over 25+ cities (oxymoron, I know) through culture flipping and gap filling. Just exercise a little patience and don't try to build them all at once, you won't be able to defend them.
Old July 25, 2002, 23:10   #17
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 20:49
Dominikos, you didn't mention what size map you are playing on, or with how many civs.

Incenentally, does anyone know the differences in land mass per civ for the various map sizes, if you always play with the maximum number of opponents? I assume there is more land per civ with the bigger maps, but I haven't actually done the math.