Old July 26, 2002, 05:20   #31
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 13:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In my game, I removed the "requires a victorious army" flag from the Military Academy. This means I can always build it as soon as I have Military Tradition. This makes having Armies quite a bit more powerful, especially during the Industrial Age when defense is stronger than offense. Try attacking Infantry with Calvary units and you will lose half of your Calvary at least. Then try attacking an Infantry with an Army of three or four Calvary units. You'll steamroller them.

The reverse works too. Place an Army of Infantry (or Riflemen if you don't have Infantry) to defend a position and it will be indestructable until Tanks are available unless the AI gets enough brains to do heavy Artillery bombardment on it..
Old July 26, 2002, 07:49   #32
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010

I routinely use armies with a fair degree of success. Load up an army with 3 tanks and crack open that tough 15 pop city defended by Infantrymen. It works. Armies composed of tanks can also attack twice in one turn, another plus. Later create an army of MA and go hog wild on the AI.

The advantage of using a couple of armies to take a 12+ size town is that you don't have to bombard irrigated tiles to knock the pop down so you can attack with a single unit successfully. You don't have to bombard the city to kill the pop and risk blasting valuable improvements.

The only thing armies can't do is pillage but that's a small price to pay for a unit that can bust big cities without a lot of collateral damage.

I'll show you guys when PTW comes out.

So you can't upgrade an army eh? This might be a problem if you have an army of swordsmen when you have the tech for say rilfemen, however it's not so bad not being able to upgrade an army of tanks. Besides, at that point in the game your production power should be so great that you could disband the unwanted army and create a new one of MA in a relatively short period of time.
Old July 26, 2002, 21:18   #33
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I usualy load up my army with infantry units (Musketmen, Riflemen, infantry, Modern infantry(Grunt add on mod )
And usualy have non-infantry units on there own.

P.S. I use the Grunt graphic for the Modern Infantry via the Civ3edit, In witch I use in my own games.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine