Old July 23, 2002, 05:39   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Refusing gifts?
I offered Egypt 20 gpt "aid package" and they say "Why do you waste Egypt's time with such a one-sided deal?"

What's so one-sided about that, other than it's in your favour?

Happens to others as well?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 23, 2002, 05:42   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have tech deals good to go with another civ. To be nice I add in SIX free resources as a BONUS.

The AI then insults me and cancels the entire deal. Stupid AI.

Did Firaxis fix this with 1.29? Not a chance.
Old July 23, 2002, 08:14   #3
Cookie Monster
King

I've offered the AI unwanted isolated cities numerous times only to have them refuse. Upon closer examination I determined their refusals were based on the fact that they had no resources, gold, or techs to offer in trade.

Perhaps the reason why the AI refuses offers, even ones in THEIR favour, is because the AI is programmed not to trade if it has nothing to offer in return. Just a thought, but the next time you offer a deal see if the AI has anything that they can offer in return. I suspect that's why you get denied so often.
Old July 23, 2002, 10:39   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
I think he was referring to a 'gift', asking for nothing in exchange.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 23, 2002, 10:42   #5
Willem
Emperor

That happened to me once, with the Zulu. I offered tham 25 gold, just out of the blue in order to be a nice guy, and he refused it. I couldn't believe it!
Old July 23, 2002, 12:38   #6
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:50
Out of curosity your income was more than 20 gpt right? I know the ai will refuse any deal which it thinks you can't pay even if you have a large enough treasury to finance it for the whole 20 turns. If thats not it, I dont know Ive never seen them refuse a gift other than that.
Old July 23, 2002, 12:45   #7
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:50
I know that the AI will not accept any "per turn" deals (gold, resources, etc.) if they don't like you. Even if you're giving it away, they won't take it because they don't trust you.

I've never seen an AI player refuse a lump sum gift or a tech if I offer it to them.
Old July 23, 2002, 12:55   #8
Palleon
Warlord

This has been discussed in threads before, but if you have a bad credit rating, then the AI won't accept gifts from you. Which kinda makes it hard to recover your credit, but that's how it works.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:03   #9
Willem
Emperor

Well it happened to me. We were on polite terms, our borders weren't in conflict and I was ahead in all areas.

I have this random act of kindness approach when it comes to my diplomacy. Every so often, I'll just outright give 25-50 gold to someone it might be in my interests to please. Quite often, it will make a big difference in their relations to me, and almost always I find myself with a lot more money than they do. But on this occasion, the Zulu turned me down flat.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:44   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
"Hey, Cleo, I'd like to give you 20 gold per turn".
"I don't want anything from you"
"But, Cleo, I'm giving this money to you. It's a gift!"
"I said that I don't want anything from you!"
"Why, Cleo?"
"If I accepted this gift, I'd be in debt with you, and I would never be able to attack you viciously like I'm planning to do in the next 10 turns"
"Geez, Cleo, now I know why you're an AI in this game..."

Old July 23, 2002, 13:49   #11
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
"Hey, Cleo, I'd like to give you 20 gold per turn".
"I don't want anything from you"
"But, Cleo, I'm giving this money to you. It's a gift!"
"I said that I don't want anything from you!"
"Why, Cleo?"
"If I accepted this gift, I'd be in debt with you, and I would never be able to attack you viciously like I'm planning to do in the next 10 turns"
"Geez, Cleo, now I know why you're an AI in this game..."

Old July 23, 2002, 13:51   #12
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Iskandar, that's a really cute avatar you've got! Is the kitten yours?

As for refusing gifts - which difficulty level are you guys referring to, because I play exclusively at prince and have never had a gift refused, even by my most hated enemies.
Old July 23, 2002, 14:14   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the AI is wary of GPT offers in general. you could give them 2 GPT ad ask them fro 1 GPT and they'll be insulted.

i think it's a built in feature to deter abuse somehow...

ask soren
Old July 23, 2002, 14:14   #14
Willem
Emperor

I always play at Regent.
Old July 23, 2002, 14:46   #15
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I play as Warlord and the AI never accepted a city as a gift.
Old July 23, 2002, 18:09   #16
Christantine The Great
Prince

They probably think it'll switch back to you.
Old July 23, 2002, 19:05   #17
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 17:50
Basically it isn't polite to attack someone straight after they give you a gift. So if the civ in question intends to attack you in the near future, they may refuse the gift to avoid getting a reputation of first taking your lunch money, then beating you up anyway.

The other reason, is say a civ gives you an offer you cant refuse (i dunno, several luxuries, some gpt) but you really want to attack them. By accepting the gift you are then inclined to wait out the 20 turns before attacking, when the decision to attack would have been made much easier by not accepting the gift.

A third reason is refusing a gift out of pity or kindness. Basically "keep your money, you need it more than me.".

Ofcourse the AI also refuses gifts for no rational reason at all. (for example, when you sweeten a deal they would have accepted, then they refuse, or your offloading things you have no use for, but they do)
Old July 24, 2002, 00:18   #18
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
Basically it isn't polite to attack someone straight after they give you a gift. So if the civ in question intends to attack you in the near future, they may refuse the gift to avoid getting a reputation of first taking your lunch money, then beating you up anyway.
This is a very real possibilty. Egypt has slowly rised to become the next superpower after me. I slowed down my military buildup after my conquest of the continent I'm on.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 24, 2002, 07:42   #19
Alex
Emperor

Cool. Then my dialogue above is right on the mark.
Old July 24, 2002, 11:29   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Try to "buy" one of their gold for 20 of yours. The AI warms to favorable deals.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:39   #21
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
No, the AI has too rudimentary an understanding of the reputations system for this to be a plausible reason, as evidenced by its frequent betrayals in terms of military alliances and RoP treaties. And beyond that, there's no evidence that I've ever heard that accepting a gift from a civ and then attacking them puts a black mark on your rep. AFAIK, it doesn't, so the AI would have absolutely no reason to turn down the deal, unless you take into account the fact that it's insane. On the main subject of the thread, I have indeed seen the AI go from "Close to a deal" to "Insulted by" when I add on something, usually an isolated city. It makes very little sense, except that perhaps the AI thinks that whenever a human offers a city, they're going to be able to culture flip it back.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:55   #22
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
The Civ3 development team re-worked the diplomacy a few patches ago in an effort to put an end to certain exploits.
One, is the request for gold per turn. In the earliest iterations of the game, you could demand that the computer give some ungodly sum of gold per turn and they'd mysteriously pay it. Firaxis 'fixed' this by not allowing the AI or yourself promise more gold than you could afford at the moment. In all of this somehow, the AI took a negative stance at giving gpt in exchange for something. If you're vastly superior to an enemy and you attempt to propose to give a resource for even 1 gpt, the AI will be ''insulted". If you *demand* that same money, the AI will fold like a houseof cards. The AI will often propose a gpt deal, but will almost never accept one proposed by you.

Another such instance is the 'selling' of a city. Prior to a couple patches ago, an exploit existed wherein you could build a useless city in barren tundra, sell it to an AI for an ungodly price, retake it, and repeat the process. Again, Firaxis 'fixed' the problem, by prohibiting you from selling even a poor, fringe city. You can *give* it away, but they won't ever buy it for even 1 gold.
Old July 24, 2002, 13:01   #23
Alex
Emperor

Mach: thanks for the info, it is certainly useful.
Old July 24, 2002, 13:17   #24
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:50
Angry Zulu citizen: "My credit card bills were OUTRAGEOUS! But then I called Ameridebt and they got my monthly payments cut almost in half!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 24, 2002, 17:25   #25
Moonsinger
Warlord

Re: Refusing gifts?
Reputation means everything. Just like in the real world, you probably refuse to accept blood money paying in installment from a drug dealer or a bank robber.
Old July 24, 2002, 23:09   #26
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
The AI will often propose a gpt deal, but will almost never accept one proposed by you.
I give 20 gpt to everyone else on the map (got too much money, +1200 per turn) as an "aid package" more or less to make them dependant on me and therefore think twice before declaring war.

Everyone accepts it except for stubborn Cleo.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:11   #27
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Oh, they'll always accept gifts. But now try offering that for their world map.