Old July 23, 2002, 07:12   #1
Drakling
Settler

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Embassies
Err, I have a rather simple question about embassies. Are they replaced by spies when you learn espionage and build the intelligence agency? I somehow don't think so because I faintly remember having to build them as well but, I can't figuire out how now. I know it says double click on 'the' capital so i've tried this for both mine and their's. However, on theirs it does nothing and on mine it brings up the spy thing.

I ask because I want to create mutual protection pacts but It doesn't give me an option in the foreign exchange screen (which I think you need an embassy for). Is there some other factor to achieve this end?

Thanks
Old July 23, 2002, 07:19   #2
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:50
Yeah, you need an embassy for an mutual protection pact/m. alliance/embargo...

You have to click on the star next to your capital's name to get the right screen up. Then you can select 'embassies'
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 23, 2002, 08:11   #3
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
1) Embassies will NOT be replaced by spies, you have to plant spies in the other civs "manually". Press Ctrl-Shift-E or Ctrl-E (don't remember right now) to get the option to do this or double-click on the pentagon symbol at the city you built the Intelligence Agency in.

2)MPP or military alliances or other pacts have nothing to do with spies. You need an embassy and the required tech(s) (check to civilopedia to see which one(s)) to sign these pacts.

So in your case you either don't have an embassy or you are not advanced enough to sign an MPP.
Old July 23, 2002, 08:43   #4
zulu9812
King

yeah - you need Writing to establish an embassy in the first place, Writing also for Right of Passage and Military Alliance, and Nationalism for Military Protection Pact.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 23, 2002, 15:57   #5
Drakling
Settler

The problem is that I can't right click on my capital and scroll down to an "embassies" bar. The only option there is espionage.

Does anyone else know how they personally make embassies besides being confronted with an option when you discover writing?
Old July 23, 2002, 16:02   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Drakling
The problem is that I can't right click on my capital and scroll down to an "embassies" bar. The only option there is espionage.

Does anyone else know how they personally make embassies besides being confronted with an option when you discover writing?
Do not right click, but double(left)click that star denoting your capital. That will bring up a list of civs you can set up embassies with. You will need some money and a prior contact to be able to establish an embassy with another civ.