Old July 23, 2002, 14:53   #1
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Installing TWO versions of the game
Is it possible to install TWO versions of the game onto one PC? I'd like to run both a MOD version and the original version.

Before I mess things up, I'd like to know if it is possible at all...
Old July 23, 2002, 15:00   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
All you have to do is save your mod version as a scenario, there's no need to have a second install. Just keep it in your scenario folder, then use Load Scenario in the first menu to run it.
Old July 23, 2002, 15:18   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I have upgraded to 1.29. I want to do a separate install of 1.21 so I can do edits for my Mac version (which is only at Beta stage for 1.21, no editor at all, yet).

Anyone have experience with installing 2 different versions on the same computer?
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:14   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Install civ3 to the default directory, rename the default directory to "old civ3" run the installation again and you have 2 installations. I havent tried it, but it works with CtP2. You MIGHT have to rename each folder back to the default each time you play either one. Same thing for patching each version, just rename the folder each time.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:16   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Thanks!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:32   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Install civ3 to the default directory, rename the default directory to "old civ3" run the installation again and you have 2 installations. I havent tried it, but it works with CtP2. You MIGHT have to rename each folder back to the default each time you play either one. Same thing for patching each version, just rename the folder each time.
Or you could just copy the folder to a different location (or rename and copy), and then just link to the .EXE file......
Old July 23, 2002, 20:33   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 23:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
All you have to do is save your mod version as a scenario, there's no need to have a second install. Just keep it in your scenario folder, then use Load Scenario in the first menu to run it.
Unless you are going to change the artwork, and still want to play the original game.

I did that with my AvP mod.
Old July 24, 2002, 01:35   #8
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

Unless you are going to change the artwork, and still want to play the original game.

I did that with my AvP mod.
Yes that is something of a pain at the moment isn't it? I understand that will be changed with PtW. For now though, there's lots of leeway if people build on top of what Firaxis has provided. Terrain is still a problem though.