Old July 23, 2002, 18:32   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Those Blasted Barbarians!
I just started a new game as Germany. Huge map, everything else random. I got planted right in the middle of the Garden of Eden... wheat, river, hills, mountains, and cattle. I find a goody hut nearby, after finishing my first Warrior... Okay, I say, this could be good.
I go after the thing, and.. you guessed it... out popped 3 barbarians.

I killed off the first one, and the second one killed ME off without taking a point of damage... ouch. The third one destroys my Worker... double ouch. The same guy raids Berlin and kills some guys... triple ouch. And then the other one that killed off my Warrior stops by, and I get the message "Barbarians have destroyed the City Walls". Uh.... ouch times four? Being that I'm Scientific and Militaristic and haven't even discovered Masonry, how is it that I lost my City Walls?

I later discovered that I had no Palace...
Old July 23, 2002, 18:55   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
That's wacked. Can you post it?

Don;t open nearby goody huts without having a garrison.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 23, 2002, 21:05   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
I later discovered that I had no Palace...
That happened to me once. I had to build a new palace when I was just starting out. I wonder if the AI suffers this penalty...
Old July 23, 2002, 21:18   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 04:52
I once had a game where the AI killed three settlers (one of them was even guarded with a warrior but was destroyed by the Massive Barbarian Uprising)... and to boot, an undefended city was walloped by a barbarian uprising in that same exact turn and dropped my treasury from over 300 to 62 gold in a single turn... during the BCs no less! That's at least 50 turns worth of gold hording! ouch!

D*mmit! That's the last time I leave all my gold in an undefended frontier city!

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 24, 2002, 11:38   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Quote:
D*mmit! That's the last time I leave all my gold in an undefended frontier city!
So how do you move your gold out of a city? Or did I miss the Brinks truck unit upgrade?
Old July 24, 2002, 13:30   #6
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Local Time: 22:52
Perhaps raging Barbs get bonuses. In one of my Monarch games the barbs manage to kill 4 of my vet archer with minimal sufering. I used to hold off uprising of 10-25 horseman barb with 2 spearman but now, I cant contain then.

On emperor, I have yet to stumble upon a goody hut that didn't contain Barbarians.

It's not fun having 16 horsie barb pilliage your treasury to several gold.
have struck again
Old July 24, 2002, 13:34   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:52
BTW: can you start a game without a palace? Is this possible in the editor?
Old July 24, 2002, 13:37   #8
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Yes. You can create a city in the editor without a palace, then build it later when you reach construction (perhaps masonery, forgive my lapse of memory at the moment).
Old July 24, 2002, 13:54   #9
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 20:52
i think your palace acts as city walls to give a defense bonus to your capitol. ive had this happen as well and got blown away with corruption. best thing to do is avoid huts next to your capital if you dont have atleast 2 spearman garrisoned there.

i think thats why we have the " quick start " option
Old July 24, 2002, 14:10   #10
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I suppose I'm just too much of a risk-taker to live with letting a nice goody hut sit there so close for 1500 years. I closed my eyes when I hit the thing, since I knew what was going to come out. Boy did I wince when I opened my eyes.