Old July 23, 2002, 19:08   #1
Dimension
Warlord

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
<Your troops will move automatically.>
It seems like I used to always be able to move troops into enemy territory, then, when the AI got mad, I could do the "I appologize, I'll move my troops" thing. Then, the next turn I could attack and declare war, or else wait till the diplomacy screen came up a second time, this time with "My bad!"

Now it seems like most of the time, it just goes immediately to the very first time I enter enemy territory, even within the first few turns of the game. It makes things more difficult, because I have to declare war before I'm right next to all the AI's cities. Is this a factor of how many units I move into enemy territory?
Old July 23, 2002, 21:30   #2
ToeTruck
Warlord

Yes, I think it is a factor of how many units are in the enemy territory. Whenever I move a strike force into a rival's territory, they immediately respond with .

I haven't done any sort of scientific experimentation here, but I think it's based on total unit strength combined with some sort of tech-age factor. Sorry about the lack of specifics. Anyone know more?

In any case, what do you mean by: "It seems like I used to always be able to move troops into enemy territory..."? Are you saying this changed with the release of 1.29f? As far as I can tell, this behavior on the part of the AI hasn't changed with the patches.

- TT
Old July 23, 2002, 22:10   #3
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you land a settler off a boat, they won't immediately evict you. Then, you can build a city (declaring war) and land your troops for free. Sort of cheap. This may have been fixed with a patch (it happened to me a long time ago...)
Old July 24, 2002, 12:32   #4
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 04:52
I seem to recall it also had something to do with proximity to a city. If you were adjacent to a city you got the old "get out now" routine, but if you were at least one space away you got the "sorry, I'll move 'em later" option.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:55   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

I ran into this last night. I had units in fortifications close to the Chinese border. Their borders expanded and encompassed my fort.

Mao asked me to remove my troops – Good-bye Mao. The next turn I got the YTWMA. I want Mao to start this war so I opt to move. When the units’ turns come up, I move them back into the fort.

On the next turn Mao asked me to remove my troops – Good-bye Mao. The next turn I got the YTWMA. I want Mao to start this war so I opt to move. When the units’ turns come up, I move them back into the fort. Ad nauseum.

Over 100 failed “plant spy” missions later the yellow b@$+@~%$ (no pun or racial slur intended) still wont declare war. I guess the AI isn’t as stupid as it acts sometimes.
Old July 24, 2002, 12:57   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 22:52
Quote:
Originally posted by phunny_pharmer
If you land a settler off a boat, they won't immediately evict you. Then, you can build a city (declaring war) and land your troops for free. Sort of cheap. This may have been fixed with a patch (it happened to me a long time ago...)
Are you saying the AI did this to you? If so, kudos to the AI and kudos to Soren.
Old July 24, 2002, 15:29   #7
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Barchan
I seem to recall it also had something to do with proximity to a city. If you were adjacent to a city you got the old "get out now" routine, but if you were at least one space away you got the "sorry, I'll move 'em later" option.
You are right, Barchan. Even after given the first warning, you can sometimes stroll around in alien territory for quite some time if conditions are right. But there are other factors besides city proximity that may trigger the final warning.
Old July 24, 2002, 17:25   #8
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 22:52
I've noticed that when I want to evict 'foreigners', if I don't have an embassy with them, my choice is, 'Move or Declare War.' If I do have an embasy, I get another option, something like, 'Your troops are w/in our borders, they must be removed.'

Perhaps the embasy (or lack thereof) plays a part in the AI's demands upon your troops.
Old July 25, 2002, 09:24   #9
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:52
building an embassy does make the AI more favourable towards you.