View Poll Results: Do you think this will work?
Yes 0 0%
No 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23, 2002, 19:58   #1
Brambojr
Settler

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Use of Palaces and FP - strategy
Ok, so I have recently begun using a strategy to see if it would work and not I am wondering what others think about it.

First I grew frustrated with the time it took to build an FP at a purposeful distance from the capital and wanted it's effects NOW. SO I built it close to home - almost a neighbor to my capital. This created a very strong core to my civ - weak on the edges, but I have my FP now.

I am a builder who likes a war he can win. So I war, I get GL's. First one is ALWAYS turned into an army and the army into a victorious one. And I build the wonders allowed by that.

After Heroic Epic, GL's are easier to come by, especially once I get to Cav/Tank/Mod Armor era (between retreat and ability to attack more than once in a turn (tank/armor). So, I turn around and build my Palace (using a GL) in the middle of conquered and culture depleted land. Instead of many snap builds of temples, I wait a few turns and I have a full blown continuous country.

Not to sound too off the wall, but it's a little civ3 experiment in Machiavelli's idea's.

I like it. The FP stays behind in a developed center, keeping it productive and the palace moves out to areas that need it.

I build Courthouses and Police stations in cities as soon as reasonable, so that what is left behind is a viable and productive city.

I am interested in what others think. I play huge games almost exclusively.
Old July 23, 2002, 20:06   #2
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
I think that's usually what people do: build FP near Palace then move the Palace.
Old July 23, 2002, 20:13   #3
Brambojr
Settler

Will it work to thwart resistance?
Will this also work to thwart resisitance or did I just get lucky with the experiment I did?
Old July 23, 2002, 20:23   #4
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
resistance is a tricky one... not much known about it yet. But the palace jump is very classical, I think Vel posted this in the first week CivIII was out

The only exception is that if you get a very early GL in a good spot, it might pay off to build the FP right away in conquered territory. This will mean you only have to build one imporvement, instead of two. If you have the choice, it depends on where your next target is: culture flips are partly controlled by the distance to the capital, so your palace should be close to the enemies cities when possible.

DeepO
Old July 23, 2002, 20:24   #5
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Re: Use of Palaces and FP - strategy
Quote:
Originally posted by Brambojr
Not to sound too off the wall, but it's a little civ3 experiment in Machiavelli's idea's.
It has my seal of approval. In anycase, it may indirectly influence resistance since the close proximity to the palace will lower corruption, and therefore, increase luxury output. The greatest bonus, however is preventing the city it is built in from flipping back to the enemy and giving any surrounding cities a goodly deal more resistance.
Old July 23, 2002, 20:59   #6
Brambojr
Settler

btw . . . I am new to forum and only noticed N. Machiavelli after originally posting. Sounds like this idea is not new to everyone here and it is indeed "classical" since the Machiavelli I was referring to is long since dead.

In fact in the text I read the real purpose of moving the headquarters of a country was to fight resistance of recently assimilated peoples.
Old July 23, 2002, 22:07   #7
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
welcome to the board, Brambojr!

What you are confusing is that your palace does not fight resitance, but culture flipping... two different terms in the Civ world. Also, people only get assimilated when they change nationality, newly conquered people might be better put

DeepO
Old July 23, 2002, 22:58   #8
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Christantine The Great
I think that's usually what people do: build FP near Palace then move the Palace.
For me London will always be the capital of England and I'm not going to start renaming cities. Just because I'm sentimental.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:20   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I have yet to build the FP very close to my capitol... my understanding of corruption and waste indicates that the benefit of the FP would be wasted.

I may be wrong in my approach, but I typically wait for a GL to build the FP at an optimum location, and then another GL to move my Palace, if warranted.

Other than striving for the 'barbell' on one continent, my latest anecdotal observation would be that I want the two as far apart from each other as possible... if suitable, on different continents.

As a sidenote, if AU 101 had gone on longer for me, I was ready to relocate the Palace again, to the third continent.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.