Old July 24, 2002, 07:52   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vassals
Am I the only one who dislikes the way you "create vassals" out of conquered territory? The other day I was playing Sweden and I spent hours getting ready and finally invading Poland-Lithuania and seceeded in taking a large part of the Lithuanian section of the country. I kept it for several turns but finally the rebellions were happening every turn and the cost of stationing an army there were ruining me so I decided to make an independent Lithuania as my vassal.

That's where my troubles really began. I had several ethnicly lithuania proviences which I had converted to Protestism all of which I wanted included into my new vassal kingdom. Unfortuantly, the game would only let me include three proviences into my new vassal kingdom and the other two were forced to remain my territory. They were isolated from the rest of my kingdom and I quickly lost them back to Poland while the vassal remained independent.

Isn't there some way to dictate "I want all of my protestent Lithuanian provience to become independent"? It seems the computer picks and choices what proviences to include at random.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2002, 08:33   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
First, the rebellions you refer to, I hope you don't mean the 30 years of nationalism! Just bite through them and you will first class provinces. Certainly if they're protestant! Wasn't the chance of succes only near 25%??

On your question, no you're stuck with the way it is. You can't decide it yourself. People are hoping it will be changed for patch 1.06, but I doubt it.
Old July 24, 2002, 14:34   #3
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:53
That's only for the number one game, right?
In EU2 I do not think that is a problem... when conquering an entire country you get to choose which provinces you like.
You can take'em all if they agree, but the capital remains independent. (you can sometimes make that state a vassal too)
Old July 24, 2002, 18:12   #4
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
That's only for the number one game, right?
In EU2 I do not think that is a problem... when conquering an entire country you get to choose which provinces you like.
You can take'em all if they agree, but the capital remains independent. (you can sometimes make that state a vassal too)
He's talking about choosing which provinces a vassal gets when creating the vassal from provinces you own, which is unfortunately impossible
Old July 25, 2002, 03:09   #5
Oerdin
Deity

I was also disappointed that I spent so much time and effort converting these proviences to Protestantism and then when I made them a vassal the new goverment was Catholic! I know the AI says Luthaunia is a Catholic country but since I'm installing the new ruling class shouldn't I get the chance to make sure they are of the same religion as me? Especially if that is the same religion as the proviences in question.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 25, 2002, 07:32   #6
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I was also disappointed that I spent so much time and effort converting these proviences to Protestantism and then when I made them a vassal the new goverment was Catholic! I know the AI says Luthaunia is a Catholic country but since I'm installing the new ruling class shouldn't I get the chance to make sure they are of the same religion as me? Especially if that is the same religion as the proviences in question.
You can't have converted all the provinces then. If not specified in revolt.txt the new vassal will get the religion of the capital province.

As for the provinces assigned to new vassals: That can be changed if you edit revolt.txt. (See the link in my sig for more info...)
Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2002, 09:37   #7
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Havard

You can't have converted all the provinces then. If not specified in revolt.txt the new vassal will get the religion of the capital province.

As for the provinces assigned to new vassals: That can be changed if you edit revolt.txt. (See the link in my sig for more info...)

Thanks for the info!!
Old July 29, 2002, 21:03   #8
Oerdin
Deity

I changed all the proviences which I had conquered. Why is it so hard in the game to set up vassals which have the same religion that you do? If I am deciding who becomes king of the country then surely I can pick someone who is of my religion.
Old July 31, 2002, 04:51   #9
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I changed all the proviences which I had conquered. Why is it so hard in the game to set up vassals which have the same religion that you do? If I am deciding who becomes king of the country then surely I can pick someone who is of my religion.
Some countries have defined religion in revolt.txt. Except for that the religion will be that of the capital of the new country.
Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2002, 14:11   #10
Oerdin
Deity

I don't want to the default religion of Lithaunia to be protestant; I just wanted it to be protestant for this one game since I had converted the proviences to protestantism from Catholicism.

I'll go back to my old saved file and make sure that I converted the capital. That way I can be assured I am remembering correctly.
Old July 31, 2002, 17:45   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:53
Why don't you just edit the religion of Lithunaia manually in the save-file?