Old July 24, 2002, 09:03   #1
Yit
Settler

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Finally getting the hang of it...
Howdy. I got Civ III not too long ago, and it took me many hours (MANY hours) and various curse words to master the learning curve, but I think I am finally starting to 'feel' my way out of the dark. I do well in the ancient and decent in the midevil, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna fare in the industrial and modern times. I'm on my second game that I've actually played, after various bad starts. My worst habit left over from civ II is 'kill the enemy civ within the first 3 turns of the game' thing. I found out battles are a lot tougher, and forming an enemy in 3050 BC is not a good idea.

The first game I won was by accident, I hit 20,000 culture points with my capital, and that was it. Seemed a little cheap to me. I'm definatly the war-monger type, bloodshed is the game with me.

On my current game, I started out in the New York area of the 'Earth - Standard' map. England and germany started out in South America. I filled up North America (using the worker, road, settler thing from Vels guide) and then pounced on England, and eventually Germany. The Aztecs have most of Russia, and are my only real competition. It's nice seeing 2 continents filled up with your color.

My only real quirp about it is the way it affects me while I'm on the phone with my girlfriend, "Yeah, uh-huh..really...Crap! Stupid AI, please don't start a war...crap...huh, what honey? Sorry, I gotta let you go, something just came up"

*sigh*

Adios
Old July 24, 2002, 09:18   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 22:54
Re: Finally getting the hang of it...
Quote:
Originally posted by Yit
I'm definatly the war-monger type, bloodshed is the game with me.
Then you should do well at Civ3. My biggest problem was not being able to do the peacful builder routine. Peace gets you killed in this version of Civ. As soon as you can build up a force of 20 or so units you need to find a neighbor and attack them. Even if you don't destroy them, take some cities and weaken them. You get a weaker neighbor and cities without settlers .
Old July 24, 2002, 10:58   #3
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You don't need to be a warmonger. Just have the ability to. If you have a large army, the AI will not try to bully you by demanding you give them wines or spices for nothing in return.

I've won games without war being a huge part of it. I like to control my entire landmass, but other than that, I'm not that agressive with wars.

EDIT: Of course, I don't play on Deity or even Emperor. Usually Regent.
Old July 24, 2002, 11:51   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:54
Re: Finally getting the hang of it...
Quote:
Originally posted by Yit
My only real quirp about it is the way it affects me while I'm on the phone with my girlfriend, "Yeah, uh-huh..really...Crap! Stupid AI, please don't start a war...crap...huh, what honey? Sorry, I gotta let you go, something just came up"

*sigh*

Adios
When between turns and the AI is doing its thing, NEVER take your eyes off the screen or allow distractions. Most of it is mindless rambling of units, but there are those important exceptions!!
Old July 24, 2002, 12:27   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Yit
This can be a difficult skill to master. You will find however, that it is a worthwhile skill to learn as someday you might find yourself married. The real trick is in learning the correct sequence for the “m-hmm, yes you’re right” and the “they don’t understand you like I do” conversation generator commands.
Old July 24, 2002, 13:27   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl

This can be a difficult skill to master. You will find however, that it is a worthwhile skill to learn as someday you might find yourself married. The real trick is in learning the correct sequence for the “m-hmm, yes you’re right” and the “they don’t understand you like I do” conversation generator commands.
this learning curve is even a lot thougher then CIV3