Old December 30, 2002, 09:18   #31
JanB
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Excellent work HolyWarrior. Very interesting. Answers a lot of questions. Looks good.
Old December 31, 2002, 02:33   #32
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ boardgame info
MrWhereItsAt, according to the current tech tree, Computers counts as a Seminal Discovery, granting 4VP and allows the Internet productivity improvement (but doesn't give you a free one).

I tried it out with a group who had it over Thanksgiving weekend. In a 4 hour session, we barely made it to the industrial age. I was playing North America and came in third, due to having a coal monopoly early. Bloody South Americans tried to start a war, deservedly finished last. Meanwhile Europe and Asia were buds the whole game and naturally won. Europe started with a whole slew of free tech chits...
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2002, 03:03   #33
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Well, I just finished up a play session with 4 people. After about a half-hour of sorting all the pieces out, we finally got down to playing (advanced rules). To put it simply, never play by the simple rules: they are not fun at all, in my opinion. The advanced rules makes for a much richer game experience.

So, after 4 hours of play, we're midway through the Medieval era. Massive swarms of knights are making their way across Europe, as a two-front alliance borders on knocking one player out of the game. However, that player controls all of the curent military tech, meaning he makes a load of money off his enemies... should be interesting to see how it develops when we get to sit down and play it some more..
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2003, 11:10   #34
jackshot
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Thanks HolyWarrior! Interesting about SETI - it is mentioned as a Wonder you get with Computers (IIRC) -I can check when I get back on the 5th. It would make the tech too expensive if it didn't have something like a Wonder accompanying it, so perhaps they removed it and like idiots didn't adjust the tech card before release.
Yes, the SETU wonder was removed just before publication, evidently it was unbalancing. Eagle Games has been very quiet about what it actually did, but not having it is the way the game was shipped.
Old January 2, 2003, 22:52   #35
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
That's a shame about SETI.... but does that mean since no Wonder comes with Computers that tech should be cheaper than it was as shipped?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2003, 18:42   #36
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
The manual has little blurbs at the top of the pages, and one of these states they have an expansion pack in the works - no idea what it would include though.
Well it says some of the thigns included will be governments and a way to randomize the map other than the exploration markers. Also, I expect there might be a more detailed production system.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
civman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2003, 19:14   #37
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Anybody heard the NEWS?

Boardgame got errata (look for link ata apolyton news page).

Errata clarifies that there should be not SETI in the game (and some other things).
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 19:07   #38
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:54
buy$$$
you can get the boardgame at CompUSA for less than 40 bucks

just search the web

Also I suggest making your own rules blend the Diplomacy boardgame rules with axis and allies and SMAC... even borrow ideas from the MoO series.