jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Proposal for Censuses
first of all, that is right spelling

Currently you sign up and there are weekly censuses

my proposal is that instead of having a frequent census poll that people dont vote in, we should have monthly sign ups. this would eliminate the inactive member problem. the way it would work is that you sign up for the next month, and month after that we have another sign up.

people would actually vote in these. we would get rid of inactive members and would make our game more streamlined. it wouldnt have to be every month either.

it would replace censuses and our current sign up system
Old July 24, 2002, 14:40   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I wont complain about this point but many a lazy bastard will-- resigning up. People will say that having to sign up more than once (even though we actually do it twice now) is silly.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping tabs on the actual number of citizens during the game. The number we have signed up will increase relatively linearly over the time the game is played, even though the number of active players will not change. It would be nice if there was an automatic way to monitor.... Anyone?
Old July 24, 2002, 14:43   #3
jdd2007
NationStates
King

its one damn post every month, and would provide accurate information of who is participating. at the moment, the only way you can do that is by reading threads
Old July 24, 2002, 14:49   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
I agree with havin a census, a regular one. I should be codified into law.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 24, 2002, 14:50   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I like it. Perhaps that is something we can do to tie in with before the elections. That way we may see who is involved and who just shows up to vote for the elections.

Just thinkin and rambling. But I have to say jdd2007 that your idea is very promising.

ps - I am against the idea of having to sign up in order to vote. The more people that can participate in any way the better off we are.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 24, 2002, 14:57   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
Frankly, I don't see the point. I do not vote in the census polls myself, since I just don't care that much. The only way this will really do anything is if it becomes tied to who can vote. If people are active, you will see them around, if not you wont.

That being said, this is likely a better way of doing a census, I just don't see the point in them as a whole.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 24, 2002, 14:59   #7
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm fine with the idea. I don't think it will solve any problems though. There will still be people who vote without signing up and I don't want Markos to be bothered messing with the forum at the beginning of every month.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 24, 2002, 14:59   #8
Epistax
Prince

If we don't have a solid census, then we don't know how many people need to vote on an issue for it to passable. I wont drag that discussion in here, look it up in 3 or 4 other threads.
Old July 24, 2002, 15:18   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

because im not a minister (only 20 votes? ) i dont think i propose that this be an amendment, so i plead that someone with authority make a poll for this amendment
Old July 24, 2002, 15:22   #10
Sheik
King

jdd2007 you can post an amendment. Any citizen has this right. This is a great idea

Sell your photos
Old July 24, 2002, 15:24   #11
jdd2007
NationStates
King

really? well i would still prefer someone more powerful than me to make the poll.

right now i have visions of my campaign for FAM. in the campaign thread i got great feedback, but in the election i was crushed by someone who isnt here now.
Old July 24, 2002, 15:27   #12
Epistax
Prince

I didn't mean to sound negative earlier, I meant to say others would sound negative. A poll would be nice.
Old July 24, 2002, 15:44   #13
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 04:55
what about having markg or someone keep track of who voted in the polls? all ppl voting in polls are automatically call citizen.
at the end of each month, a list of citizens is posted.
we will get rid of the "invalid elections" thing also, as all voting ppl will automatically be citizens.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old July 24, 2002, 15:47   #14
disorganizer
Prince

btw:
a "moving average" of the votes casted in the polls of the last 3 weeks will also do a good census. elections should not be counted into this average.
disadvantage:
you need someone to track this and publich this number on a weekly basis.

Old July 24, 2002, 15:54   #15
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

maybe we should have people register prior to each election, that registration is then somehow linked to being able to vote in elections/polls/etc. I think Mark G said he could take our list of members and connect it to the voter, could it be done monthly with poll to register (one option, just yes), and those who do can then vote in the election.

I don't know, needs some work and help from Mark G.

just a thought.
Old July 24, 2002, 16:25   #16
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Re: Proposal for Censuses
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007

Currently you sign up and there are weekly censuses
There are weekly censusesesesessss (whatever)?
I consider myself an active member but have never signed one of these census things.

I like the idea of pre election sign ups though.
Old July 24, 2002, 16:40   #17
Edrix

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
ps - I am against the idea of having to sign up in order to vote. The more people that can participate in any way the better off we are.
MarkG was working on a system wherin only people who were registered citizens of the Demo Game could vote, and I think this is a perfect idea. It isn't exceedingly difficult to sign up as a citizen, so I don't think that we'd lose THAT many potential members...

And I feel that the re-registration can effectively replace the census. Even if someone misses the re-registration for a particular month, they can register at ANY time they want. It's not enough of a hassle to make an issue out of, and if anything, they should be happy that they have an excuse to increase their post count.

jdd, there shouldn't be a problem with your proposition of this amendment. Go ahead and post it; it'll get my vote.

Old July 24, 2002, 17:07   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

What if people are gone while the resignup thing is open? I think they should be able to post early if they'll be gone.
Old July 24, 2002, 18:15   #19
disorganizer
Prince

maybe the re-signup should run the whole month. at the end of the month, all signed up citizens are eligable for voting in the election.
after the election the list is cleared and you re-signup.
so if someone misses the signup, well, he didnt get any info on the game last month. so he sould not elect others.

EDIT:
he can of course sign up for the next months election.

Old July 24, 2002, 19:33   #20
jdd2007
NationStates
King

now that i have thought about it, i think every two months would be the best time interval between sign ups. what do you think?
Old July 24, 2002, 23:36   #21
Captain
King

jdd2007, you don't have to have an amendment unless you want the census procedure codified in the Constitution. We don't even have it in there now.

You can post a regular official poll too, and that would only require "the most votes" wins (or 50% according to tradition).

but either way, I'm not sure what the purpose of our census is.

If it's to establish a quorum requirement for voting - such as polls require 50%+ of active citizens to vote to be valid - then anything that helps improve that process is fine by me.

How about this though, anyone who posts in the forum automatically renews membership? I don't know how counting these things goes, so I'm not sure.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 25, 2002, 05:20   #22
disorganizer
Prince

captain: if this works, it will be the best thing. but will also include me in citizenship ;-)

the purpose of the census was and is to determine the number of active citizens. ppl were wondering why we have 200 citizens and nobody votes. there was an arguing about how many citizens are there (most numbers were far below the numbers we have from the census btw.).
i then started the census polls to see the results. it will also show us the trend over time.
any other method of obtaining the same results will be fine, as posting this poll every week is a kind of boring for me too.

Old July 25, 2002, 15:48   #23
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i think it really will be the best thing...