Old July 24, 2002, 14:45   #1
furbster
Settler

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do i start a world war
Hi,

My current civilization games puts me on a island shared by the greeks and romans. We have just entered the middle ages. rome and grecce are both very strong but i am more advanced with better cities. My plan is to pit one country against the other inorder for me to step in and take over. When I offered by sides an allience against the other they flatly refused. Any help will be apprecieated.

Thanks in advance,
Dane Davis
Old July 24, 2002, 14:53   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
The easiest way to do this would be to wait until you can do Mutaul Protection Pacts, which requires Nationalism (Industrial), at which point you could try to sign it with one of them and goad the other into declaring war on you.
Old July 24, 2002, 15:21   #3
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mpp's work good, but the war will probably never turn out very even. either the bulk of the nations will side with you, or the other side. ( pretty much depends on who is the strongest, military-wise.
Old July 24, 2002, 18:07   #4
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:55
They'll accept an alliance if you give them enough incentive (read: cash) to do so...
Old July 24, 2002, 18:34   #5
Fitz
King

If you (for whatever reason) capture workers from one nation, sell them to the other nation. Or buy from one and sell to the other. IIRC, civs get upset at other civs that have slaves of their nationality.

Plant cities on the far borders of each civ, then give them to the other civ. This will raise border tensions, especially if the cities have a resource/luxury within their radii.

Make real freindly with the civ you want to join you. Start giving small donations of cash on a regular basis, accept their trades offered unless ridiculous, and make lots of small trades (maps especially) on a constant basis.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:40   #6
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:55
Meh, heres how you start a World War, well before MPP. You need fairly good diplomatic relations with at least 2 other civs, and cash will help. Declare war on someone, have someone sign a military alliance against them. Then attack someone else, and have a different civ declare war against them. Then go to the first civ you allied with, and have them declare war on the second civ you went to war with. The rest of the world will jump in pretty soon, because the civs under attack will pull the others into the war. This usually works for me on Regent, within 5 turns everyone's at war. Anouther thing I like to do is declare war on a strong civ on anouther continent, and have the weakest civ on that continent declare war on them. Civ's always attack whoever's closer, so they'll ignore you and wipe out the weak civ, removing a rival for you
Old July 26, 2002, 23:06   #7
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:55
Invade Poland. Worked last time!

Actually, I've had some colossal worldwide wars break out in games, and I admit a lot of them are often due to my machinations. Look for a civ that has allied itself with a couple others, then ally yourself with some others, and then start a war with that civ. Soon everyone will be against everyone.

Too bad the diplomacy model isn't sophisticated enough to allow for "teams" like in EU. Often your allies might go to war against each other, which makes a mess of everything.
Old July 27, 2002, 01:37   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
Hi,

My current civilization games puts me on a island shared by the greeks and romans. We have just entered the middle ages. rome and grecce are both very strong but i am more advanced with better cities. My plan is to pit one country against the other inorder for me to step in and take over. When I offered by sides an allience against the other they flatly refused. Any help will be apprecieated.

Thanks in advance,
Dane Davis
If you want them to sign alliances against each other you will have to go to war against one of them first. Otherwise they will never accept any alliance.
Old July 27, 2002, 07:54   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 23:55
Invite the Germans over for coffee.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old July 27, 2002, 18:24   #10
justp370
Settler

Local Time: 04:55
Be sure all your cites are well fortified before going to war.there is nothing more embarrssing than having very smalls armies and having the enemy crush you.
Old July 28, 2002, 18:20   #11
seano1
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
They'll accept an alliance if you give them enough incentive (read: cash) to do so...
...or you could try offering tech.
Old July 29, 2002, 02:24   #12
justp370
Settler

try downloading civ 3 multi tool then save a game , load it the multi tool then edit it.
goto this site:
http://www.civfanatics.com/

p.s it's only an idea
Old July 29, 2002, 11:12   #13
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Quote:
Invade Poland. Worked last time!
Ok, somewhat offensive humor, but...point well taken.

Would you happen to have one potential enemy (i.e. Greeks) sandwiched between you and the other (i.e. Romans)? An easy way to start a war is to pick a fight with the farther guy and invite the middle guy to join on your side. Then, they fight on the other side of the continent, and you don't have to send troops. They fight; you sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

Only problem could be if one side wins big and comes out much stronger. Then you've got a problem on your hands.

The problem seems, to me, that you're facing the only civs that have had a unit with defense of 3 in the ancient age. You can't really invade effectively with knights- they've got too many decent defenders running around. Luck of the draw- make them fight each other, and invade with cav.
Old July 29, 2002, 11:54   #14
publius
Settler

it seems like every time i get somebody else involved in my war they end up getting wiped out. but a lot of the reason i make alliances is to build strong allies for the future. sometimes i find myself sending peacekeeping troops in to stop another country from being wiped out.

does everybody make a lot of rights of passage agreements? i used to avoid them because i didn't want other civs in my territory, but they really boost relations if you're not too much of a warmonger/
Old July 29, 2002, 12:39   #15
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:55
Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
The problem is, that alliances work well when you average. If you are to weak, nobody will make an alliance with you (or MPP) if you are too strong, you'll have everybody against you. Still the suggestions so far were pretty solid, I think.
Old July 29, 2002, 17:35   #16
Fitz
King

KD, that's never a problem for me. If I'm uber powerful, I still get lots of allies. In fact, I usually get everyone except the offending civ to join in destroying the idiot who attacked me in those circumstances.

Personally, I find I never need to start a large world war, they just happen. If I'm not the most powerful, I head for that position by making really nice with everyone, selling ROPs to those who will buy them (which makes them freindlier) and selling Luxuries/Resources for Gpt (which they are reluctant to lose). Then I sit back, try to catch up as best possible, and eventually laugh as the other civs start a multi way war that typically brings down the (formerly) top dogs of the civ world, and never fire a shot. Eventually my culture is strong enought that I start assimilating all the others (at which point I get to the uber powerful strat again).
Old July 29, 2002, 19:14   #17
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
KD, that's never a problem for me. If I'm uber powerful, I still get lots of allies. In fact, I usually get everyone except the offending civ to join in destroying the idiot who attacked me in those circumstances.

Personally, I find I never need to start a large world war, they just happen. If I'm not the most powerful, I head for that position by making really nice with everyone, selling ROPs to those who will buy them (which makes them freindlier) and selling Luxuries/Resources for Gpt (which they are reluctant to lose). Then I sit back, try to catch up as best possible, and eventually laugh as the other civs start a multi way war that typically brings down the (formerly) top dogs of the civ world, and never fire a shot. Eventually my culture is strong enought that I start assimilating all the others (at which point I get to the uber powerful strat again).
Which difficulty are you playing on? I am talking Deity here...
Old July 30, 2002, 02:03   #18
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

ah Deity I see
Old July 30, 2002, 03:20   #19
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I've never quite figured out how to look at the diplomatic relations of other civs with each other.

It appears the lines on the dilplo screen only shows my relations to others.

Anyone know how to find out who is allied with whom?
Old July 30, 2002, 04:01   #20
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
I've never quite figured out how to look at the diplomatic relations of other civs with each other.

It appears the lines on the dilplo screen only shows my relations to others.

Anyone know how to find out who is allied with whom?
Well, as for the alliances, it is simple - just tick the appropriate display option... but I know you must know that, so your question actually is "How do I find who is a friend of whom?" AFAIK, you will never find out, the game will not let you know (which is a fault, IMHO - it should, at least after establishing an embassy with the civ in question).
Old July 30, 2002, 04:03   #21
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
Starting a war? It usually happens to me without specific actions on my part. I like to make ludicrous demands. Keeps my rivals real.