Old August 7, 2002, 05:22   #31
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I was using western asia to mean from about Poland to somewhere around mongolia. I felt the need to try and seperate due to the massive size, different cultures (ya, I know...), and all that stuff. It is real arbitrary, and I know many people in Moscow that consider themselves europeans - that's fine by me.

Middle east is that area say from turkey, to the isreal / egypt area - then going west to include out to afganistan adn packistan, then I decided that India might be kinda left out so this seamed teh best place to add it.

East asia - japan, china, korea, vietnam, etc.

As I said, I was fairly vague in some of these, as I was more or less trying to get a feal. No offence to anyone.
Poland's in Asia??!?!!!!!

Wow! I really never dreamed of that before...

Well, it's all a matter of definitions, I guess.

When I went to school back in the 80's, we learned that the Ural Mountains and the Caspian Sea are the natural boundaries between Europe and Asia. Turkey is actually considered part of Europe (unless you - as some do - consider the Black Sea and the Bosporus Straits to be the boundary), while Egypt is part of Africa. What we call the Middle East is the area between them, including Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan.

Once you get into Saudi Arabia or Iraq, you're in the Persian Gulf area, which - although near the Middle East - is not part of it.

The Gulf area includes Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Iran, Iraq and the small Gulf states of Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

-At least these are the definitions I learned...
Old August 7, 2002, 05:35   #32
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian
When I went to school back in the 80's, we learned that the Ural Mountains and the Caspian Sea are the natural boundaries between Europe and Asia. Turkey is actually considered part of Europe (unless you - as some do - consider the Black Sea and the Bosporus Straits to be the boundary), while Egypt is part of Africa.
Turkey is a wannabe part of Europe, but in fact only 2% of it are in Europe, because the Black Sea and the Bosporus are the boundary between Europe and Asia. That is not a matter of definition, but of the tectonic plates . So the desire of Turkey to join the European Union is at least as ridiculous as Israel playing football (geez, or soccer for you yanks ) in the UEFA, although both take place.
Old August 7, 2002, 05:53   #33
Schee
Warlord

Quote:
Middle east is that area say from turkey, to the isreal / egypt area - then going west to include out to afganistan adn packistan
Hmm... West of Iraël and Egypt I though there were Libya, Algeria, Morocco and then Mexico... but maybe all that I learnt in school is wrong...
Old August 7, 2002, 06:22   #34
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Schee
Hmm... West of Iraël and Egypt I though there were Libya, Algeria, Morocco and then Mexico... but maybe all that I learnt in school is wrong...

mexico...middle east...?
Old August 7, 2002, 06:31   #35
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Turkey is a wannabe part of Europe, but in fact only 2% of it are in Europe, because the Black Sea and the Bosporus are the boundary between Europe and Asia. That is not a matter of definition, but of the tectonic plates .
Heh. Well, yeah, they certainly are the natural boundary, but I guess both Turks and Europeans have been known to occasionally disregard such things...

Quote:
Originally posted by Schee

Heh. I didn't catch that one. I'm sure it was an honest mistake though...
Old August 7, 2002, 06:36   #36
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness' Edge

mexico...middle east...?
He was just saying that if you go west from Israel or Egypt, you'll be going towards Mexico and away from Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:08   #37
Schee
Warlord

Quote:
He was just saying that if you go west from Israel or Egypt, you'll be going towards Mexico and away from Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Exact

Quote:
I'm sure it was an honest mistake though...
Old August 8, 2002, 14:50   #38
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, we could always repoll , .....

have a nice day