Old July 24, 2002, 18:52   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Enough already!
Please, people, please, I am, and I believe most others are, sick and tired of all of these constitutional questions. Can't we just go by common sense? All of these problems only exist if you think about them. For example, instead of debating whether or not the Constitution could be changed instead of just added on to, the people who thought it was confusing could have just written their own version of the Constitution, which would be unofficial, on the forum with only the active parts included, and asked the mods to top it. Problems about succession during impeachment need never arrive - the situations will likely never happen, and if they do we can decide then, when we know the particulars of the situation. We shouldn't be thinking too much about the structure of the game - we should be HAVING FUN.
Old July 24, 2002, 18:55   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:55
I don't often agree with skywalker. But this time, he told brilliantly what I think.

I hope other people who are tired with constitutional bickering will tell it here. Some people don't see how boring this is.
Old July 24, 2002, 18:56   #3
Edrix

Well, part of the fun of the Democracy Game is in the roleplaying that it allows. And I think that, to some, having an elaborate and well-amended Code of Laws IS a fairly big part of that roleplaying. There's naturally going to be debate about it, but there's always debate when a democratic system is used for anything. It's another one of those things we can't prevent, like party alignment. These are things we just have to learn to live with.

Old July 24, 2002, 18:56   #4
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We may be in for a firestorm of flak, but I kind of agree, Skywalker. I guess all the constitutional stuff is important. And it's going to be rockiest in the early stages of the game, as we set up and then tinker with the structure of the game.
But sheesh ....
Old July 24, 2002, 19:05   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

This bickering isn't roleplaying.
Old July 24, 2002, 19:21   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

skywalker has a good point. Some is good. There is just too much going on. Impeachment, ya, I can see that being important. I am the only one so far in my opinion polls to say "DO NOT ALLOW IMPEACHMENT". Just wait the next couple of weeks. But the extent of the minutia being debated....it is extream.

Then when you add in the other topics - should anyone be able to vote. should we have a census. should the constitution/col be rewritten to make it easier to read. should we just kill everyone and send their heads to the next of kin. Come on folks.

I think we need more turnchats (every 2-3 days) like spiffor recomended elsware, to keep the game moving and give people something else to talk about.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 24, 2002, 19:30   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing

I think we need more turnchats (every 2-3 days) like spiffor recomended elsware, to keep the game moving and give people something else to talk about.

Great idea. More turnchats would allow people to bring up ideas that they want to talk about more often then posting a poll we have seen a million times, or a poll of somehitng that is ridiculous.
Old July 24, 2002, 19:32   #8
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:55
I agree with too much. I have said this about polls before. And I believe it is one reason we have so few that actively particitpate. TMI = Too much information. The game, I was led to believe (and HOPE), was for FUN. I can't make most turnchats since I work a job during the turnchat hours, but I do post and vote. Yet, I still get turned off sometimes with all the TMI. That's why I don't read the election campaign or election poll threads. I vote for the person based on their posts in the rest of the DG. I also don't always read the poll threads, other than the issue post, since it can get out of hand easily.

I know we need certain things; I appreciate that; I also appreciate, well accept it, that early on, we will have lots of this stuff going on.

I will second, third, whatever more frequent turnchats.
Old July 24, 2002, 22:49   #9
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I not only agree, but posted pretty much this same thing in the Senate thread a while ago.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 24, 2002, 23:14   #10
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Well I've been one of the people disscussing all these issues. However, I would be the first to admit I'd rather be talking about the actual game. Its just that nothing is happening to talk about. I also suggested at least doing a turnchat a day and recieved no response what so ever. I again beg the minsters and President to give us something to talk about, so we can get interest up and the game moving. This is the reason i suspect for the drop in interest in this game. We NEED to play more and talk less.
Aggie
Old July 24, 2002, 23:31   #11
Captain
King

I don't see why those who are posting on these boards choose ONLY to post in the Judicial/Constitutional threads... there ARE other threads! You are more than welcome to bump them back onto page one!

These things wouldn't be dominating the first page if people weren't interested enough in posting to them, and therefore bumping them up. Interest begets interest. Popular items get more attention, and more attention makes things more popular. That is the nature of forums like these. (You could even say, the invisible hand).

Justa few days ago, we had a few threads about whether or not to explore, galleys, colonizing Uber Island vs consolidating our continent first, the machiavelli institute, diplomacy, the map, geopraphy, the next target after america, etc... and more!

The new geopolitical situation had at least five threads dominating the first page for a while - and all the Constitutional stuff was bumped down. It happens in cycles. Relax.

If it bugs you that much, go start another thread. Or bump an old one.

As for me, whatever you (collectively) put on the front page, I'll read and post to if I find it interesting. Otherwise, I'll make a new thread - which reminds me... if I've got enough time tonight...
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 24, 2002, 23:33   #12
Captain
King

... or instead of starting a new thread, people might leave too.. I forgot to mention that other consequence of not having something that interests everyone...
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 25, 2002, 00:23   #13
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I am having fun. I think the constitutional questions are interesting.

Sell your photos
Old July 25, 2002, 00:25   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:55
Re: Enough already!
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Please, people, please, I am, and I believe most others are, sick and tired of all of these constitutional questions. Can't we just go by common sense? All of these problems only exist if you think about them. For example, instead of debating whether or not the Constitution could be changed instead of just added on to, the people who thought it was confusing could have just written their own version of the Constitution, which would be unofficial, on the forum with only the active parts included, and asked the mods to top it. Problems about succession during impeachment need never arrive - the situations will likely never happen, and if they do we can decide then, when we know the particulars of the situation. We shouldn't be thinking too much about the structure of the game - we should be HAVING FUN.

Oh HELL yeah!

We have enough of a Constitution to play the game. We have a judiciary to deal with problems if and when they arise. We are confirming their choice as those we can trust to do what is needed. What-ifs are now useless.

And if this doesn't stop ppl making those threads - make sure you don't post there as further protest.

Maybe we should make a No Unnecessary BS Party?

OK. Maybe that's too far.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 25, 2002, 02:19   #15
Kramerman
Prince

Maybe we can make an amendment that prevents spamming of the forum with constitutional bickering. Just joking.

I think the debating is entertaining, otherwise I wouldn't do it. However, I would rather talk about the game, though, most of the talk has been blown through just a day or two after a turn chat. So having more frequent turn chats would definately keep me talking about the game, instead of fighting over the proper process of cleaning official Apolytonian latreens, as dictated by the CoL.

Kman
Old July 25, 2002, 03:10   #16
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
Skywalker, you are correct!

Let's also have a turnchat every 2 days. It may be possible that ministers can't make it there, but they should appoint someone to replace them.
Old July 25, 2002, 04:49   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:55
You have my full support skywalker ! This game is on the best way from a Democracy to a Bureaucracy game.

• No further constitutional amendments, they suck the fun out of the game like a leech.
  • No sophisticated laws discussion in the style of a hedge advocate.
  • No complicated polls, they don't attract people but rather repell them.
  • No useless bills of right and stuff like this .

Let's play the game and have fun, not work.
Old July 25, 2002, 04:53   #18
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 04:55
Personally I believe that these constitutional issues are not the funniest things that we can do, but unfortunately they are neccesary. Everybody wanted the election process to be sharpened after the unbelievable turnout in the presidential election.
Old July 25, 2002, 05:03   #19
disorganizer
Prince

Maybe you could add a subforum for constitutional debatte. this would satisfy the constitution mongers and the gameplay-mongers. if the constitutional debatte subforum (call it debatte-club or something) comes to a proposal, they can post 1(!) for the topic in the normal forum ;-)

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old July 25, 2002, 05:05   #20
disorganizer
Prince

message of phoenatica:
thats why we implemented subforums. we could seperate the "important" stuff for gameplay and the roleplay-stuff from each other. the government forum only hold important information, with crosslinks to important citizen discussions. the poll subforum contains all polls and the citizen subforum hold the "rest".
i could imagine even better ways of "splitting the traffic", but we didnt get more than 3 subforums.

anyway you choose to go: you may spoil some ppl of. with the subforums, you maybe hold more ppl in the game that with forcing to stop discussion on some topics.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old July 25, 2002, 09:37   #21
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

disorganizer is right. We need subforums!

Sell your photos
Old July 25, 2002, 10:20   #22
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Talk to MarkG. It was asked for. It was denied. So sayith the "Trip".

(they would be nice)

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 25, 2002, 12:33   #23
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
You have my full support skywalker ! This game is on the best way from a Democracy to a Bureaucracy game.

• No further constitutional amendments, they suck the fun out of the game like a leech.
  • No sophisticated laws discussion in the style of a hedge advocate.
  • No complicated polls, they don't attract people but rather repell them.
  • No useless bills of right and stuff like this .

Let's play the game and have fun, not work.
Nothing more to say.
BTW, BigFurryMonster, I agree with a turnchat every 2 days.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:26   #24
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Re: Re: Enough already!
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Maybe we should make a No Unnecessary BS Party?
I'll GLADLY join.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 25, 2002, 13:30   #25
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I agree with a turnchat every 2 days.
me too
Old July 25, 2002, 13:34   #26
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Every two days would be a bit much IMO. Unless, of course you want the Ministers making all the decisions?

2 days would not leave time for them to poll the public between turns, that is for sure. And don't get me started on appointing replacements...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 25, 2002, 14:26   #27
BigRed515
Settler

If we could just get the results from the long anticipated war with the Americans, I think everyone would start talking more about the actual game. The last couple of threads about future plans (I think Plan Demain is one of those threads) have died down with the line "...but let's wait to see how the attack on America turns out." All this constitutional stuff is the forum equivilent of twiddling our thumbs, IMHO.
Old July 25, 2002, 15:18   #28
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

every 2 days is too many

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 25, 2002, 15:26   #29
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:55
I think every 3 days is better. We could have a life in some of our evenings / afternoons / mornings
But a lower turnchat frequency will make the game as boring as this week.
Old July 25, 2002, 16:09   #30
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Enough already!
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Please, people, please, I am, and I believe most others are, sick and tired of all of these constitutional questions.
*snip*
We shouldn't be thinking too much about the structure of the game - we should be HAVING FUN.
I also completely agree with this!

Hey, maybe we should make an official poll about it?

only joking!