Old July 24, 2002, 20:02   #1
DaemonGate
Settler

Local Time: 04:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resource Allocation
Graar! I really wish I could tweak map resource scarcity during the game setup matrix. I love the game, but I am so frustrated w/ the complete lack of Coal & Oil later in the game I could spit. I just played 3 lengthy games in a row on Large maps where even though I controlled 1/3 of the land area (among 7 other computers), I never have coal or oil later in the game. I know this is a common enough rant, but damn I just need to vent. By the time I can see where the oil is, I need units that require oil to conquer the land that has it! GRAAR catch-22. It's pointless trying to negotiate for strategic resources, the computer AI never trades them, if anyone should ever end up with 2 Oils (which is rare).

And what is with one of the 2 (two!!!) sources of coal on the entire globe (large map remember) running dry the INSTANT I finish researching Steam Power?

Graar. Wish I could lay my hands on whoever coded in the rarity of the absolute essential late-game resources.

Ok I feel better now. Well, a little anyway.
Old July 25, 2002, 10:40   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You could always try out the editor. It takes a little time but it's a good way of avoiding a map you wont like.
Old July 25, 2002, 10:58   #3
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:55
or just go out conquering the continent you're on from the beginning. The only resource you'll not have are all the luxuries. You should have plenty of the others to spare, can even give it to the AI for free.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 11:05   #4
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
You can make oil and coal available to more terrain types.

Too bad there's no way to connect a resource if I were to make it appear in the water.
Old July 25, 2002, 11:53   #5
Matt_G
Settler

Local Time: 22:55
Open civ3edit and click the natural resources tab. Change the appearance ratio for those resources to a higher number. I have mine changed to 200. (Note, this may be to high, I'm still experimenting.)

I always have all resources. I don't consider this a cheat because it treats every Civ the same. That's the downside of it. Everyone else will have all resources as well, unless they only have a couple of cites. You can also change the disappearance probability to a higher number if you want. I think you can go up to 800 or so. That means there is a 1 in 800 chance of it disappearing on any given turn. Or even set it to zero (in which case it will never disappear.)
Old July 25, 2002, 12:15   #6
Japher
Emperor

Try adjusting climate conditions to give yourself a better chance of have the terrain that produces these resources on your continent. Arid ->deserts->oil.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:55   #7
GI Josh
Settler

Local Time: 20:55
You really need to pay more attention to diplomacy and to building up the luxuries/gold to pay for the strategic resources. I'm almost always able to trade for a necessary strategic resource - it usually costs me a *ridiculous* amount, but during those 20 turns I build the troops necessary and then fight a brief war to acquire the resource.

Overall, imho, resources appear *too* often. Also, they should *cluster* more, much like the luxuries, so that there would be more required horsetrading.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:58   #8
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:55
Quote:
Originally posted by GI Josh
You really need to pay more attention to diplomacy and to building up the luxuries/gold to pay for the strategic resources. I'm almost always able to trade for a necessary strategic resource - it usually costs me a *ridiculous* amount, but during those 20 turns I build the troops necessary and then fight a brief war to acquire the resource.

Overall, imho, resources appear *too* often. Also, they should *cluster* more, much like the luxuries, so that there would be more required horsetrading.
I agree on this point. If you have the entire continent to yourself, you'd have all the strat resources.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 15:44   #9
DaemonGate
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza

I agree on this point. If you have the entire continent to yourself, you'd have all the strat resources.
Neither of you read my post it seems. I said I had approx. 1/3 of the land (probably closer to 1/2). When you consider that the other 7 civs are crammed into the remaining space, I find it pretty ridiculous that the other civs invariably have every resource.

And I do develop wonderful diplomatic relationships ... nobody ever declares war on me w/out suddenly finding themselves fighting every other major power. Once again, you missed the part where I mentioned nobody ever seems to have more than 1 of any resource, and therefore cannot trade to me even if I offered them a veritable wall of money, tech & luxuries.

Thanks to the folks with useful suggestions on how to change the spawn ratios ... I haven't fiddled with civ3edit much yet.

Latest gripe du jour ... WTH is with conquering a city size 10, and having 20 military units inside to quell resistance, and the 2 turns later it capitulates to rejoin the civ I just conquered and my entire army garrisoned there just disappears? Graar that's ridiculous ... how are 5 civilians going to massacre 10-20 Infantry? Yes, I know it's important to buy Courthouses & other buildings that produce Culture very quickly to prevent this. When it reverts before you can even restore civil order to buy buildings (2 turns minimum), that's just dumb.
Old July 25, 2002, 15:51   #10
DaemonGate
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_G
Open civ3edit and click the natural resources tab. Change the appearance ratio for those resources to a higher number. I have mine changed to 200. (Note, this may be to high, I'm still experimenting.)

I always have all resources. I don't consider this a cheat because it treats every Civ the same. That's the downside of it. Everyone else will have all resources as well, unless they only have a couple of cites. You can also change the disappearance probability to a higher number if you want. I think you can go up to 800 or so. That means there is a 1 in 800 chance of it disappearing on any given turn. Or even set it to zero (in which case it will never disappear.)
Ok silly question ... in the scenario editor after generating a map, the Natural Resources tab (under Edit) is always grayed out. This is also grayed out BEFORE I generate a map.... Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old July 25, 2002, 16:04   #11
Matt_G
Settler

Local Time: 22:55
Quote:
Originally posted by DaemonGate
Ok silly question ... in the scenario editor after generating a map, the Natural Resources tab (under Edit) is always grayed out. This is also grayed out BEFORE I generate a map.... Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Nothing, You're just not doing enough.

Click scenario on the menu bar. At the bottom is 'custom rules'. Click this to check it. Then edit resources as desired and generate map. If you want to edit an existing map do same as above and then click Map->Redistribute natural resources. Should take care of it, though I haven't tried it myself. Seems it should work though.

HTH,
Matt
Old July 25, 2002, 17:33   #12
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:55
Quote:

Neither of you read my post it seems. I said I had approx. 1/3 of the land (probably closer to 1/2). When you consider that the other 7 civs are crammed into the remaining space, I find it pretty ridiculous that the other civs invariably have every resource.
And your not listening to advice that people are trying to give you.

With 1.29f, you can now enter a number for the appearance ratio up to 900. That means roughly 90 locations for a particular resource on the map. I'm sure with that much of a resource in the game, you'll be able to find what you need without to much of a problem.
Old July 25, 2002, 18:37   #13
DaemonGate
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

And your not listening to advice that people are trying to give you.

With 1.29f, you can now enter a number for the appearance ratio up to 900. That means roughly 90 locations for a particular resource on the map. I'm sure with that much of a resource in the game, you'll be able to find what you need without to much of a problem.
Um no, that's not what he was saying. He commented that if I controlled the entire continent (I specifically said otherwise) I should have all the strategic resources. I also specifically said that I wished I could alter the amount of resources on the map. That would sort of imply that I hadn't yet done it, and didn't know how.

Only 1 person offered any advice on how to accomplish that, I thanked him and now I'm enjoying a new game w/ abundant resources much more (IE the variables you're talking about). Everyone elses "advice" was of the, "you don't know what you're talking about" or "learn how to play the game, noob!" variety, which is pretty much what I expected.

I realize anytime an "outsider" posts to a forum and criticizes a regular the tendency is to jump blindly to their aid, but you should probably have your facts straight when you do. Thanks, please move along.

--DG
Old July 25, 2002, 18:42   #14
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

I realize anytime an "outsider" posts to a forum and criticizes a regular the tendency is to jump blindly to their aid, but you should probably have your facts straight when you do. Thanks, please move along.

--DG
You just started postng and you've already made my ignore list. That's some kind of record!

Enjoy the game, hope you don't come looking for any more help.
Old July 25, 2002, 18:43   #15
DaemonGate
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

You just started postng and you've already made my ignore list. That's some kind of record!

Enjoy the game, hope you don't come looking for any more help.
LOL thanks for proving my point.
Old July 25, 2002, 19:15   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:55
What the point off having resources in the game when
they're over abundant??????, I don't see the
point in that. But that's just me offcourse
Old July 25, 2002, 19:39   #17
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
What the point off having resources in the game when
they're over abundant??????, I don't see the
point in that. But that's just me offcourse
Well you could always have lots of resources, but have them disappear quicker than they do now.