Old November 17, 2000, 07:53   #1
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
How many of you play chess ?
I'm currently playing a chess game against Smash (the defending champion) for the Apolyton World Chess title. Kcbob and Carolus Rex, have also disputed games.
I was wondering how many Apolytiners were playing chess, and how many were playing the game quite seriously (being in a club for example).
If you want a look at the games, they are all in the Other Games / civ comparison forum.
Here's the latest threads : http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum22/HTML/000664.html?31 http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum22/H...tml?date=03:01

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 17, 2000, 08:40   #2
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:47
quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-17-2000 06:53 AM Kcbob and Carolus Rex, have also disputed games.

"Disputed?" Let me make the crystal clear. I was not confused by the board. I am concerned about the partisanship displayed by my opponent during the game. He seemed to want to "beat" me. I will be appealing this to the Circuit Court of Appeals in Pea Ridge Arkansas and expect a ruling sometime after the turn of the next millenium. In the meantime, for the good of Apolyton, I will abide by the will of the people and...

*hook comes in from offstage, wraps around kcbobs neck, and Yanks him away*

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 17, 2000, 11:16   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I play - and some thirty odd years ago did so competitively - then I discovered Bridge - now if we can find a four ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old November 17, 2000, 12:52   #4
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-17-2000 10:16 AM
I play - and some thirty odd years ago did so competitively - then I discovered Bridge - now if we can find a four ...

Incredible! Did someone say bridge???

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 17, 2000, 14:15   #5
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Chess is a great game. Maybe the best strategy game of all time. Simple rules, limited equipment, endless combinations - you could be stuck on a deserted island and put a game together.

Anyway. Yes I play. Less now than I used to but I am teaching my sons. Everyone should play this game. It is a great brain exercise. I love it when, after playing several games, I start to dream moves.

I have never played in a league.

I have dabbled in Steve Jackson's Knightmare Chess. It's a nice expansion that uses cards to grant new moves and twists to the game.

[This message has been edited by skrobism (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old November 17, 2000, 14:34   #6
Mercantile
Settler

i play chess, never in a league, and not very often anymore, but i do play. I am about as good at chess as i am at civ MP Still, against a newbie i can crush them, vets, well they take me out like calvalry on phalanx's. One thing i do not know how to do is follow the moves in the forum of the games that are being played online. Its all gibberish to me
Old November 17, 2000, 14:44   #7
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-17-2000 01:34 PM
i play chess, never in a league, and not very often anymore, but i do play. I am about as good at chess as i am at civ MP Still, against a newbie i can crush them, vets, well they take me out like calvalry on phalanx's. One thing i do not know how to do is follow the moves in the forum of the games that are being played online. Its all gibberish to me

Hey, Merc, wanna play for a housepayment???

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 17, 2000, 19:51   #8
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I play chess these last few days. It's part of my detoxication program to get away from CIV.
Only to get right back into it afterwards!
Old November 17, 2000, 20:10   #9
Mercantile
Settler

kcbob, you have to give me odds, my money is in Canadian dollars At almost 1 1/2 to each American dollar, i need at least 3-1 odds.

Seriously though, i know the all the moves but i could never play with out the board in front of me. Those codes lose me

------------------
Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?
Old November 17, 2000, 23:12   #10
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
That "code" is algebraic notation.It is a way of keeping track of the moves.There is also the archaic descriptive notation but algebraic is superior.

Xa-b-c-d-e-f-g-h

P=pawn
R=rook
N=Knight
B=Bishop
Q=Queen
K=King
O-O=castles kingside
O-O-O=castles queenside
X=a capture

Old November 18, 2000, 00:54   #11
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Perhaps the appropriate question in a venue such as this is what games *don't* we play! My list of games that I am at least comfortable with is almost to long to mention.

I guess my basic rule is that if it is not random (like say, Chutes and Ladders), I will (and probably have) played it.

I think there should be a master rating system that takes into account most games, so we could see where we stand in all games. Or a club where we all participate in a different game each week...

Other than Civ, favorites in a sort of general order: Hearts, Chess, Risk, any Avalon Hill game, Backgammon, Feudal, Phalanx, Monopoly, Life, Stratego, Cinch (aka Set Back),Bridge, Spades, Cribbage, Awari, etc.

Old November 18, 2000, 01:28   #12
East Street Trader
Prince

I play (poorly) in a (very minor) league.

Bridge is my main game (and has been for 35 years). In an otherwise undistinguished display on Wednesday I did manage a double squeeze (my third, so an average on that one of not quite once a decade ).

Nice when it happens though.

Never managed a criss cross. (Got close twice but the cards didn't lie for it).

Was subjected to a progressive squeeze once - and in a 6 NT contract at that.

Not tried internet bridge, yet. Must give it a go.
Old November 18, 2000, 10:21   #13
MacUser
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 11-17-2000 11:54 PM

I guess my basic rule is that if it is not random (like say, Chutes and Ladders), I will (and probably have) played it.

Let's see, my list would include: Break the Ice, Candy Land, Hi Ho Cherry-O, Monopoly for kids, Chinese Checkers, LEGO Creator and when in a particuly adventurous mood Dark Tower and Mastermind! I sometimes try for grownup games by am short of opponents (or is it that my opponents are too short...)! On Mondays I get creative and "invent" games for Cub Scouts. My greatest was using old tires and plastic gallon milk jugs for bowling!

I tried to interest my oldest in chess, but he may have been too young at the time. He's almost 11 now, so I should try again.

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old November 18, 2000, 15:50   #14
zyxpsilon
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-17-2000 06:53 AM
I was wondering how many Apolytiners were playing chess, and how many were playing the game quite seriously (being in a club for example).

Castling on Queen side's, Yes, done that... but was nailed in a tournament by a Kevin Spragget's bishop back in the late 70's, ever since my quote has been climbing over 2000 from the deception of losing the key game. Yearly membership fees excluded.
Had to tilt a king against a "can't remember his name!" slovak downtown Montreal in 40 boards sequencial show down in the early 80's.
Grabbed another opponent queen with a strangely planned knight double fork, too!
Last time i checked, the logic of 91 hexagonal boarding is a patent i owned(and still do) and distributed as "CHEXX" back in 1987 on many different medias.
But, Yes, done that.

Old November 18, 2000, 20:00   #15
tonic
King

I used to play competitively at the club level but have not done so for quite a few years. I still have the old books especially the cheap ones from the old USSR and even subscribed to their Shakmatny Byuletin. It does require a hell of a lot of time to keep up with the latest in GM play, both in the analysis and opening theory.

Would fit in well in a strategy-based site like ACS.
Old November 19, 2000, 01:40   #16
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

chess , one of my all time favorite games.
my dad taught me when i was very young and
i taught my son when he was only 6. He is
16 now and still loves the game. It seems
to be one of those things we pass on from
generation to generation. I have played
online chess with various friends even
before "Gore invented" the internet. We
played on the software at work during
breaks....and well ok...when things were slow
at work...keep it under your hat ok...
Old November 20, 2000, 08:37   #17
kcbob
King

Let's see.

Board games. Games that use dice. Games that use cards. Games played with a ball.

I guess that's it.

*slaps forehead*

Oh, yeah, and games that use a computer. Duh!!

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old November 21, 2000, 22:36   #18
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 23:47
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
I play chess, occasionally, not as much as I used to. There must be a fairly decent FIDE rating of mine hidden somewhere ...

And I play Magic the Gathering. Much more fun than Bridge, even though I've played that game with the best as well!

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old November 22, 2000, 05:18   #19
Deathwalker
Prince

I play the game quite a bit. I belong to Yahoo Games

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old November 22, 2000, 15:58   #20
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

I loved playing Magic The Gathering. I found 3 problems with the game though.

1: The rules would change with every expansion pack.
2: It was way too addicting. I'd find myself being drawn into game stores to buy packs of cards that would never be played because...
3: It was difficult to find relatively 'normal' adults to play with.

One day I'll dig out those cards and teach my boys to play. Then I'll show them the mighty wizard that I know myself to be. Ha HA HA ha.

Did I say 'normal'?
Old November 26, 2000, 10:59   #21
Ken Hinds
Prince

Julius,

If you look at the script from Carolus' and KcBob's first game you'll see that I also play. As an old dinasaur I find it very hard to "see" the board using this new notation system. I expect that soon I will have to get in line to take my turn at Smash, new notation or not.

Ken
Old December 1, 2000, 08:45   #22
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 11-26-2000 09:59 AM
Julius,
If you look at the script from Carolus' and KcBob's first game you'll see that I also play. As an old dinasaur I find it very hard to "see" the board using this new notation system. I expect that soon I will have to get in line to take my turn at Smash, new notation or not.
Ken

Damn, so you wish Smash to beat me ? Or do you think his position to be so superior ?
The game is not finished yet !
As for you being the new challenger, it is now in the record. To make it offical you should post it in the other games forum.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 1, 2000, 09:23   #23
kcbob
King

BTW, Ken, as you may have noticed from the running commentaries of the games, the "league" is fraught with sandbaggers. Beware!!!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 2, 2000, 18:17   #24
Ken Hinds
Prince

Julius,

I guess that I really stepped into that one. I was reponding more to the general tone of the message rather than attempting to comment on the way the game was being played. I have been away from the board for away and have not been keeping up with the series or much of anything else here at Apolyton.

KcBob,

Sandbaggers, really? You wouldn't be talking about those of us who have established 60 pin handicaps and then bowl 220 games just because we're playing one of the top 3 teams in the league would you? You don't understand how hard it is to play just good enough to win and not much more. 1 - nil is always a more exciting game then a 7 - nil blow out. Remember you should always allow your opponent hope, and then you snatch it away just as the clock runs out.

Ken