Old July 25, 2002, 13:46   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War Academy: Taking out Philly?
The way I understand our plans is that we are to take Washington, NY, then sue for peace, gaining tech, cash, and a city.

Now, there may be someone who knows the code the AI uses when bargaining, and can say the AI would never go for it, but would it not be more beneficial to destroy Philly as the second target and then gain NY in negotiations for peace? I understand we will rebuild on or near there anyway if we destroy NY, why not save that settler for something else, perhaps securing that Iron to the west? (yes, yes, it is in the middle of the Jungle, but it IS Iron and a possible future site of Ironworks)

A byproduct of such a move would be that it would move our army MUCH closer to France in the process. Thereby speeding our conquest of thier lands and Iron.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 25, 2002, 13:52   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
NY will be captured not razed. dont worry about that.

philly is a sh*t city and will be autorazed if we try to take it. we should sue for it and use it as a BORDER CITY, no matter how useless it is.

we can disband it later.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:57   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Uber, I hope you'll be able to capture NY, but I doubt on that. As I know the AI, it will immediately rush a spearman or an archer, when it sees your forces approach. To catch the AI with a size-2 city in a war under despotism is very hard.

As for Philadelphia: I think we will easily get it as prize for peace. No doubt on that.
Old July 25, 2002, 14:04   #4
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

We shouldn't use any military force against philly, unless possibly if the rest of our campaign is over. I think we can agree on that.
Old July 25, 2002, 14:16   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 00:58
Been a while since I looked at the map.

any chance of going agter washington first, then NY (I know it is going backwards). As washington has culture, we can rest assured it will survive. then the capitol moves to NY, and as they get their first culture, our reinforcements arrive and we take NY. Then we sue for all tech, all gold, and philly if possible.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 25, 2002, 14:21   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Uber, I hope you'll be able to capture NY, but I doubt on that. As I know the AI, it will immediately rush a spearman or an archer, when it sees your forces approach. To catch the AI with a size-2 city in a war under despotism is very hard.

As for Philadelphia: I think we will easily get it as prize for peace. No doubt on that.
That's what I mean, Ralph. Do we WANT Philly? Why not destroy it, have our army near the French border, and get NY instead? Or will the AI not give up NY since it has Dyes?

-GodKing, the capital is likely to jump to the northern city (lost name...Boston?) but should it go to NY, that is worht considering.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 25, 2002, 16:39   #7
Robber Baron
Prince

GodKing, as I understand the plan, we bypass NY and hit Washington first.
If the AI is willing to give us NY after losing Washington, great. But in my experience, it usually holds onto cities near luxuries.
And by the way, Philadelphia is not an impressive city now, but with some terraforming, could be a sweet spot.
Or better yet, re-plant it one square NW. Then you're bordered by a river on two sides (good for defense if we move against westward enemies next), plus you've got river squares, forest tiles and grass/with shields to work.
Most importantly, Philly links up our core penninsula with our American acquisitions.
Old July 25, 2002, 16:45   #8
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
A byproduct of such a move would be that it would move our army MUCH closer to France in the process. Thereby speeding our conquest of thier lands and Iron.
I like the sound of this.

UberKrux I have complete faith in your abilities and trust your judgement.

Sell your photos
Old July 25, 2002, 17:19   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:58
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Or will the AI not give up NY since it has Dyes?
Unlikely, unless it's very desparate. They almost never part with resources or luxuries in peace negotiations.
Old July 25, 2002, 17:31   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:58
We also must think of Chicago. It's deep in Fragant Valley, and I don't know if we'll be able to trade it for peace.
SHould we change our war plans to prune the Yanks even more, so that we get Chicago or not ?
Old July 25, 2002, 17:35   #11
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I doubt that taking another city will change their minds much. I feared that the AI might not be willing to part with NY, and trust those with more experience that it would not. Pruning them more will only postpone the French war till Archers become less viable. Best do it sooner than prolong the American war and risk losing our advantage. (btw, has anyone else noticed that in 1.29 the AI seems better in the Ancient age? I had a stack of 6 swordsmen and 3 Hoplite come through my territory, luckily they were after the Persians on the other side...)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby