Old July 31, 2002, 21:51   #61
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Eyes i haven't played with you in over a year, the last time we played was with ming and you quit after i took one of your cities and crushed your vet archer. This all happened AFTER you took two of my cities and put ming on the defensive...

i know you think i am some pathetic noob...you always have, but your gravely mistaken.

that all said, i don't know why you can't admit that there are other players out there who have skill.

I don't win all my games, no one does, but i certainly win my fair share..

BTW just how good are you at tennis..i play a ton myself, but i have only played some of our local tournaments.....

good luck in the coming months
Old July 31, 2002, 22:18   #62
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 15:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by HappySunShine
Oh give me a ****ing break. I don't use special maps number 1, number 2 the only reason I'm playing deity is to prove that deity comes down to whoever gest HG first. I can't help it I've beaten you on every single setting there is. I can't help it you suck. I can't help it you couldn't beat me when I had no capital and you had both suntzu and lighthouse. It's not fault you're stupid so don't get mad at me.
I would just love to see a photo of the person who generates this bile.

Hey wouldn't it be funny if Eyes was a girl?

I wouldn't rule it out - there's a venom in his/her posts which is quite feminine

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 1, 2002, 04:40   #63
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
Give me a break Horse.

I am trying to be mad at you but if you are going to make me laugh by putting a mental image of Eyes in a tennis skirt in my head.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 1, 2002, 08:25   #64
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 00:03
Quote:
I already have other DL's waiting to be used. GIving me a break is like inviting a zillion DL's. Take your choice. And I've been in games with you, Rah, and War4. I pretended to be some guy on apolyton that was new and we talked over ICQ. It was really funny because war and rah were talking like they were the real deal. It was on a 40X40 map or so. I remember it well. No bribe, lots of mountains, lots of swamp.
Not that I don't take you at your word ,
but since anyone that looked in the RAH rules thread would have an idea of the setting we used, I require just a bit more proof that you've been in a game with me. Just list an ICQ number and name that you used for that game. Everyone that has ever been in a game with me when I host, is listed in my address book. I'll then send you an icq and you can tell me I was wrong.
And if you did play with us, I can't remember the last time a newbie did that well, so then you either had bad luck or you suck at those settings.

Here's hoping your "memory" is up to it.

RAH

Good luck with the tennis. I know you'd kick my a** there.
Old August 1, 2002, 09:14   #65
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 06:03
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Good luck with the tennis. I know you'd kick my a** there.
No, Rah, maybe you'll lose with his settings ( i.e. only one racket, little balls, normal tennis court). You can always start to play after a bottle of vodka or after having eaten 16 hamburgers, or every thing you can think you'll take an advantage, playing with soccer balls, or wearing graduate glasses...
In case you lost... well it's bad luck!
Old August 1, 2002, 09:33   #66
rah
lifer
Just another peon

But, Considering he has more than 25 year on me, luck would have nothing to do with it on any settings.

I won't even discuss skill levels
I haven't played tennis since I was his age. Then someone stole my racket and I haven't played since.
So not only am I old, I suck.

Rich
Old August 1, 2002, 09:41   #67
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

How does HG fit into Seafaring?
I'm still waiting on the answer.
C'mon, Suckabutt. Tell me (us).
How do you forego Bronze, or Horses, or a path to better government to go Seafaring and Explorers, and work in HG really quick ?
Master, we wait on bended knees.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:13   #68
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Isn't pottery a requirement for Seafaring?
I thought it was.

RAH
Old August 1, 2002, 10:22   #69
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

So, study a path to Seafaring, including Pottery and Mapmaking; and blow off defense, offense and immediate exploration, as well as a better government?

Ok. No wonder I suck.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:47   #70
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:03
I'm not sure this a issue sloww. After all beelining for explorers at the expense of other factors is not a 1x deity strategy, but a 2x king one.
Old August 1, 2002, 11:03   #71
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Slowwhand, your original question was how to fit in HG, if you're rushing to seafaring. Since Pottery is on the path, it's a good fit. DOH
Old August 1, 2002, 11:33   #72
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Yes, yes Rah. All the statements Eyes has made mesh perfectly.
Just forget it. I guess he's a relative.
Old August 1, 2002, 11:44   #73
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Oh, don't get me wrong, I dissagree with everything else. (well most everything, since if you play with people that don't build any defense, an explorer can be quite effective)
I'll always go for a better government first also, so I'm a moron just like you are

I was just nitpicking your one comment since it was the one item that didn't make sense.

Rich
A RELATIVE, ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Old August 1, 2002, 12:10   #74
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

That was a lower blow than I should have swung.
My apologies.
Old August 1, 2002, 13:24   #75
HappySunShine
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

There's no such thing as a strategy on deity so I don't know why you are even using the word "strategy" in the same sentence as deity. And I almost never go straight to explorers unless I'm playing against someone sucks...like you sloww. I did research horsebackriding first, then I went to alphabet, then pottery, then I was researching mapmaking and got it out of a hut while in the same turn got seafaring out of a hut. Then I just used what gold I had and the high production of my iron city as far forward as possible to rush buy an explorer. It's obvious that something like this would never ever work on deity. But really, what does work on deity? There's not a whole lot you can do on deity that is special. It's kind of why the most innovative strategy for deity was the size 5 city strategy and it was pathetic at best. Compare deity to civ3. There's alot of similarities between the two. All they did was take deity to a whole new level. Could I do an explorer rush on 1x1x deity? No. The happiness problem forces me to change everything to defensive and of course my opponent too so there will be no undefended cities. Plus on 1x1x explorers are not worth it. You'll get them too late and you need the techs to get trade and rush for the happy wonders. Not only that but if you're smart you'll be changing your production to 1 forest, 1 grassland at a size 2 in order to get the most expansion at the lowest cost. So building an explorer would kill your expansion, yield little no gains, and kill your science.
Old August 1, 2002, 13:57   #76
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

"Not only that but if you're smart you'll be changing your production to 1 forest, 1 grassland at a size 2 in order to get the most expansion at the lowest cost. So building an explorer would kill your expansion, yield little no gains, and kill your science."

Believe it or not, that counts as strategy.
The real reason I think you don't like Deity 1X is because you prefer a quicker, in your face, game.
That's fine.
The bit with the explorers was, as you say, King 2X, small world, you as host.
I understand even less the path you took, and I don't understand the 3400 B.C., and that's fine, too.
I admit I'm not on the same level you are.
You do things that would never occur to me to do.
Old August 1, 2002, 15:44   #77
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I have no problem with your preference not to play deity games. Different people like different things. But you still have NEVER given any real support to your "assumption" that there is no strategy at deity.

If that were the case, the better Deity players couldn't win consistently at it. Every game would simply be based on pure luck... and after playing tons of Deity games, I know that's not the case.

So as I said, I have no problem with you stating your hate for Deity games... but at least base it on some truth... like the happiness problems at deity aren't suited for YOUR strategy... instead of saying that there is no strategy at Deity. Comments like that make people think that EVERYTHING you say is full of it... and a lot of what you say is actualy good
Old August 1, 2002, 15:56   #78
HappySunShine
Warlord

First of all, all of you play in your little groups. Second of all, it's hard for rookies to be better than other rookies. There is no such thing as a good deity player. There are only good king players who use their skills in a much more constrained manner on deity. There is no strategy that is specific to 1x1x deity that is even remotely useful. It's like I've always said, none of you are any good. There's just so much patting on the back between you that you've all come believe you are good. Look at it this way. The only way markus and species and those guys can beat me is to play on deity. However I have never lost a game where I got HG first, but I've never won a game where I didn't. Now does that mean I'm just a bad deity player or is it more that deity brings everyone down to 1 level? I think it's pretty obvious that the settings on deity are an equalizer. Otherwise I would not be so incredibly dominant on every single other setting and on deity have my games come down to who gets HG first. I know more about this game than all of you so to think that I somehow am uncapable of applying that knowledge to deity is really stupid. The fact of the matter is that when two players of equal level (on deity) play each other the game will come down to who gets HG first.
Old August 1, 2002, 18:19   #79
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I disagree with just about every sentence in that monologue.
Old August 1, 2002, 18:40   #80
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Again... please explain these "strategies" that can be done on all levels except Deity...

Expansion?... are you saying you don't know how to do an expansion strategy at deity without happiness wonders?

Trade?... you mean trade doesn't work at Deity?

Early conguest?... you mean you can't kill somebody at Deity?

Early explorers?... you mean there are stupid people that leave there cities empty at king and not deity?

Or are you just saying that's it's harder or that you don't know how to do any of these things at Deity?

Again... you have NEVER been able to prove that any level provides more or less strategy than any other.
All you do is rant and rave that people that don't play on your settings are idiots/morons/rookies...

Again... each setting... world size... land mass... barbs... demands strategies that are appropriate to the situation.

Settings are a matter of personal preference. Fine, if you don't like Deity... but that doesn't make everybody that disagrees with you a moron or a bad player.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:06   #81
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:03
Quote:
... uncapable ....
I think you are INCAPABLE. Isn't that what you meant? And for someone who prides themselves on perfect grammar and spelling... as you once posted. LOL.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:07   #82
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Even if you lose Deity level games will force you to become a stronger player which might be a good thing to keep in mind with MP coming out.........
Old August 1, 2002, 19:07   #83
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Early explorers?... you mean there are stupid people that leave there cities empty at king and not deity?
Ming, if you know anthing about 2x2x king you should know you almost never defend all your city's.

If you want to win the game that is
Old August 1, 2002, 19:08   #84
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:03
"in·ca·pa·ble
adj.

Lacking the necessary ability, capacity, or power: incapable of carrying a tune; incapable of love.
Unable to perform adequately; incompetent: an incapable administrator."

courtesy of Atomica...
Old August 1, 2002, 19:24   #85
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Incapable: onbekwaam, dronken ---of niet bij machte om.

Thanks to prisma
Old August 1, 2002, 19:30   #86
HappySunShine
Warlord

Ming you don't even play 1x1x deity so why are you even running your mouth? And if you really want to talk that **** we can play a game on every single setting there is. I really don't think you want to challenge me on this one.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:41   #87
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I believe Deity is what Ming actually prefers, is it not?

And as I've said, Atawa, ICS players can be ripe for the plucking.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:45   #88
atawa
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I believe Deity is what Ming actually prefers, is it not?

And as I've said, Atawa, ICS players can be ripe for the plucking.
2x1x Deity witch is totaly different.

And Sloww I dont ICS, I actualy build improvements.
But there is no need to defend all your city's, just defend away from your core.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:48   #89
atawa
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Even if you lose Deity level games will force you to become a stronger player which might be a good thing to keep in mind with MP coming out.........
They are releasing an MP version of Civ2?
Old August 1, 2002, 20:00   #90
Ming
lifer
Retired

I've played many 1x1x games... and that's why I know I don't like those settings. It's like watching grass grow. But that's just my opinion. Which is just as valid as any opinion you might have. We call that "PERSONAL" preferences

And yes, I understand that people don't defend their cities... But that you also play villages only... again, a choice you guys make. I find that boring as well. Personal preferences...

Again... please describe one strategy that can't be done at Deity. you can leave your cities undefended, you can create explorers, you can create trade routes, you can go to war... It might be harder, but you can do it.

Each game consists of choices...

And you guys can beat your chests all you want and claim that nobody can beat you on your settings... fine.
I know I'm not the best, but I win my fair share of games... And I did on 1x1x too...