Old July 27, 2002, 15:26   #1
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 05:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
argue about symbols
When editing a .slc, what does "Arguement 1 requires a symbol" mean?

On another matter, there should be some better information on writing SLIC code. Who knew that you can put an event inside a HandleEvent function with "Event:"? That wasn't written anywhere.

But hey, this is fun! I just wish I didn't have to ask so many questions and had a reference guide to look at instead of several disparate files.

BTW tut2_main.slc is hilarious, what oppressed programmer wrote all that stuff?
Old July 27, 2002, 15:50   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 07:03
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
When editing a .slc, what does "Arguement 1 requires a symbol" mean?
Argument 1 should be clear there is something not ok with the first argument you used in the function. The symbol thing is a little bit more cryptic. As I don't know the function/event you tried to use I have no idea what the symbol could have a type.

Quote:
HandleEvent function with "Event:"? That wasn't written anywhere.
Actual Event: triggers the following event.

Quote:
But hey, this is fun! I just wish I didn't have to ask so many questions and had a reference guide to look at instead of several disparate files.
I guess you never visit this part of Apolyton. Yeah it is a long time ago since I copied the improtant information to my hard drive. But it is interestin that we have still three CTP2 Modification Forums, even if the three links point all to the same old not anymore online uBB forum.

Quote:
BTW tut2_main.slc is hilarious, what oppressed programmer wrote all that stuff?
Yeah the famous tut2_main.slc, we have a lot of quotes from that in our Apolyton quote database, maybe Activision hadn't the money to clean up this file, they were nearly bancrupt, they can be lucky that they survived.

-Martin
Old July 27, 2002, 17:21   #3
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 05:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Argument 1 should be clear there is something not ok with the first argument you used in the function. The symbol thing is a little bit more cryptic. As I don't know the function/event you tried to use I have no idea what the symbol could have a type.
I am using the following event.

Event:ImprovementComplete(TerrainImprovementDB(TIL EIMP_WATCH_TOWER));

Originally there were other arguements (the .xls file prepared by Locutus says that this event should take a location, the resulting location, the player, and the improvement) but CTP2 said there should only be one arguement, so I dropped all the others, that's when I started hearing about "symbols".

Quote:
Actual Event: triggers the following event.
Yes, and actually you taught me that through your .slc that gives the AI the ability to build forts. But, it's not written anywhere that I have seen in the modifcation section. The best way I have found to figure this stuff out is "Monkey See, Monkey Do".