Old July 27, 2002, 19:06   #1
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wonderful Reality

Its been a long long road, but I am ready to release the first version of the Visible Wonders Mod.

DOWNLOAD

The way I have set it up is as an add-on to the plain, v1.2 patched CtP2. This is because:
1. Its easier for me to make and upload.
2. Its easier for Dave, Wes, Dale(?) et al. to add it to their mods should they so wish, than for me to issue 5 or 6 different versions.

I have provided what I hope is an adequate readme file for installing, using, and integrating the mod with/into any version of the game, and I will of course be very happy to answer any other questions by email or ICQ (#114083698)

I hope the mod lives up to everyone's expectations; there are 40 wonders included in the tile file, though only 8 are used in the default game; the wonders appear on the map the turn after you build them. It is possible, if you build your city on a one or two-tile island, or surrounded by mountains, that you may not get the wonders to appear, and it is advisable to be careful when placing tile improvements the turn after the wonder is built, not to do so in places where the wonder could be being constructed.

Also in the tile file are the 27 graphics for use in the city expansion mod which I hope will be finished before September.
I included them so that I won't have to make another tile file to upload, but I think I will have to anyway, I have other tile improvement plans...

I request the mod be added to the Directory ASAP (can you do that Locutus, or should I email Markos?), as that has a hit counter, and 250free does not

Lastly, many, many thanks to everyone who posted in that gargantuan thread, especially Leonidas, Pedrunn, Locutus, and hex for those graphics. Much appreciated

But anyway, download, enjoy.

Keep on Civin'

-IW

edit: link (and file) fixed.

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; July 28, 2002 at 13:56.
Old July 27, 2002, 19:55   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
Re: Wonderful Reality
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
I request the mod be added to the Directory ASAP (can you do that Locutus, or should I email Markos?)
If you submit the file I can...
Old July 28, 2002, 06:42   #3
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:04
Wooohooo!!!!

It had been a really long road and it did grew immensily.
I will start the modifications right now

Thanks and you're welcome
-Jean Rostand
Old July 28, 2002, 07:11   #4
Pedrunn
King

Oh, oh!
link problem!
Quote:
You don't have permission to access /www_error.php on this server.
-Jean Rostand
Old July 28, 2002, 13:59   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

link fixed, form submitted.

(I wasn't expecting a working submission form )
Old July 28, 2002, 16:25   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

File added. News item will follow shortly.

Last edited by Locutus; July 28, 2002 at 16:50.
Old July 28, 2002, 16:36   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

sweet. Btw, I think I only submitted to the "mod" section. Is that right, or should it be "modification"?
Old July 28, 2002, 16:37   #8
Locutus
Deity

BTW, I'd hate to nitpick on something like this but I can't help but notice that the temples of Madurai look a bit too blueish. In reality, all Hindu temple (or at least all the ones I've ever seen) look reddish from afar, not blueish...

Other than that, it's a fantastic accomplishment
(BTW, is it me or does the Adam Smith thingie look like Le Louvre?)
Old July 28, 2002, 16:39   #9
Locutus
Deity

Crosspost: Well, it's playable, isn't it? In that case it's a mod. Modifications are resources: it requires further modding to be able to use them in the game (although in some cases the line can be thin).
Old July 28, 2002, 16:44   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

well, its a mod designed to be used as a modification. Wierd eh?

The Madurai temple, yeah... Colour balancing is hard, the photos weren't brilliant. I'll give it another shot later.
Old July 28, 2002, 17:51   #11
Locutus
Deity

I understand. I don't have PSP or anything installed at the moment but isn't it possible to just replace the colors or throw a red filter over it or something? If that works you could come up with something reasonably realistic in 5 minutes...
Old July 28, 2002, 17:56   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

How red?
Attached Images:

Old July 28, 2002, 18:04   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	20830  
Old July 28, 2002, 18:20   #14
Locutus
Deity

From those choices, the third from the right looks best. The last one's not bad either...
Old July 29, 2002, 13:53   #15
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04

I missed this!
So i can try it on vanilla CTP2 with patch(1.1?) to see what it looks like. Excellent work from everyone.If only i could get to my hard-drive now.

EDIT: God, i hate those dancing smarties all-ready!

Edit(2): Ok i've downloaded it and was looking through the readme. The bit where you say to make a backup of 'gtset656.til' , is that really 'gtset565.til'? As this is the one i guess you mean(the other being 'gtset555.til') - or else my CTP2 is weird! And you mention a 1.2 patch!(1.1 or 1.11) You've been playing too much Civ3 or something, maybe Activision have been busy over the last day or so? Just to let you know to save confusion as more people download it.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; July 29, 2002 at 15:09.
Old July 29, 2002, 16:17   #16
child of Thor
Emperor

Ok i give up for now - kinda did as you said in the readme(well as outlined above), got to select the 'Wombat mod' and launched CTP2(1.1patch). Played some turns and got to build 'Pyramids'. Got the message about visable wonder and it will appear on next turn. It didn't . Two things cross my mind.

1.Is it because i selected a multiplayer setup to play the Mod under?(as a single player)

2.Is it because my city was only size 5(see zip) so there was no room to build it - and if that is the case when my city expands(at size 7 or 8 i think?) will it remember to build it then?

I so want this to work.........what's up??
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ferdin-span-2025bc.zip (89.0 KB, 6 views)
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old July 29, 2002, 17:13   #17
Pedrunn
King

Do you have stone working? You must have it to make the pyramids appear!
-Jean Rostand
Old July 29, 2002, 19:25   #18
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Edit(2): Ok i've downloaded it and was looking through the readme. The bit where you say to make a backup of 'gtset656.til' , is that really 'gtset565.til'? As this is the one i guess you mean(the other being 'gtset555.til') - or else my CTP2 is weird! And you mention a 1.2 patch!(1.1 or 1.11) You've been playing too much Civ3 or something, maybe Activision have been busy over the last day or so? Just to let you know to save confusion as more people download it.
gtset565.til, yes, sorry.

v1.1 yes, sorry.

(tto much CtP1)

hmmm. Try a single player setup. I'll have a look at your file.

Online readme now fixed. The readme in the zip will be fixed tomorrow.

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; July 29, 2002 at 19:34.
Old July 30, 2002, 00:38   #19
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 00:04
Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Ok i give up for now - kinda did as you said in the readme(well as outlined above), got to select the 'Wombat mod' and launched CTP2(1.1patch). Played some turns and got to build 'Pyramids'. Got the message about visable wonder and it will appear on next turn. It didn't .

I so want this to work.........what's up??
I had the same problem - I ran the setup thru cheat on a size 20 city with plenty of plains surrounding the city. I was cranking out wonders at about 4 turns per - no wonders popped up on the map. I tried multiple cities too.

A couple of error messages also...

Line 312 TIMP_WONDER
and Line 313 TIMP_WONDER_TEXT were not valid (or something like that) They were tied into the messagebox

I blocked them out of the SLIC file and relaunched with no problem - but no wonders

I can post my adjusted text files in about 8 hours or so from work - its getting late here.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old July 30, 2002, 06:01   #20
child of Thor
Emperor

Thanks Mr Wombat! I guess CTP1 is a forgivable offense!
Pedrunn, umm i think you have to discover stoneworking before you can build the pyramids, so yes i had it(i hope!).
Hex, at least i'm not alone in this.

The pics on the download site look great by the way, this is going to be very very cool - heck i'll be playing vanilla CTP2 just for this

Old July 30, 2002, 09:15   #21
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 00:04
Here's all my relevant files for the Visible Wonder Mod - I enclosed all of the files for all of the options. I was using the basic 1.33 setup.

Ben, if you tell me what I need to adjust, I can do the rest for all of the victory option files
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ben.zip (82.5 KB, 5 views)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old July 30, 2002, 18:44   #22
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'm re-uploading the vanilla version again; the SLIC file is restructured for easier alteration (I hope) and more efficiency.
CoT: I've no idea what is wrong with your file, but 've redone the code, and I'm not getting any problems

The one problem I have found is that the AI can place these tile improvements like normal ones... So I'm putting a stop to that
Old August 1, 2002, 11:57   #23
child of Thor
Emperor

Cheers for looking into it IW
I'll download again and make sure i follow the instructions to the letter - maybe i did something strange? Gad - i just wanna see those pyramids appear, and i'm still wondering if it's due to tile space around my small city?

Old August 1, 2002, 12:10   #24
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i notice a lot of stuff from EE... i have EE... i play it almost as much as CtP2... now i can have Temple of Zeus and Tower of Babalon in both games!!!!!
Old August 1, 2002, 21:06   #25
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
The one problem I have found is that the AI can place these tile improvements like normal ones... So I'm putting a stop to that
I experienced that with my City Expansion Code.
It is something related to the production bonus (maybe food tto but not gold for sure). I think the AI can choose the best production improvement among those enabled and place them despite of what is written in the ImprovementLists.txt. I solved that by decreasing the production bonus value to less then the avalible TIs.
This may even be good news. After all we always thought the AI was restrict to only follow those those two lists.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 2, 2002, 11:19   #26
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The AI lists has very little effect on the AIs strategy, as I have experienced to my annoyance in my aborted Mars scenario.

I'll try reducing the bonus'.
Oh yeah, and I also tried adding the GLHidden line to the Tile imps too. Would this make the AI ignore them as "not real"?
Old August 2, 2002, 13:42   #27
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I also tried adding the GLHidden line to the Tile imps too. Would this make the AI ignore them as "not real"?
No this doesn't work, I solved this problem in GoodMod by giving the enabling advance to the civ that should build the tile improvement and once it was on the map I removed it, unfortunatly this as to happen in two diffrent event handlers, but for this task you could use a not used event and trigger it afterwards the tileimprovement was placed, for this event that is normally not used in the game you could write an event handler that will remove the enabling advance.

Edit: Of course you could also take the soundfix code as an example and use return STOP instead of a sound.

Edit2: Actual this wouldn't work well, the AI wouldn't build with the slic version the neccessary tilieimprovements.

-Martin
Old August 2, 2002, 13:59   #28
Pedrunn
King

Quote:

I dont think it will but it worths a shot.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 2, 2002, 17:05   #29
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Would triggering a STOP on the CreateImprovement event also stop the event which is supposed to create the wonder?
Old August 3, 2002, 15:39   #30
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
hey... how about a one tile Great Wall
1. the great wall was never any more useful than it is today... so no one will be insulted
2. make it look less straight and (if you can) add curves... height changes and ...well... it can it look longer... the current kinda looks like only a section of the Wall...