Old August 19, 2002, 22:54   #61
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Party again!!!

Martin, you are a genius!. The FinishImprovements fuction is working perfecly. It just cant come together with the CreateImprovements fuctions.
Now one of the earliest bug that was with me since the beginning of the coding has come to a end.

I only need to get the new capture options to work with it. After that case closed.

EDIT:

more Party!!!
I dont know what have i changed but the code is totally fuctional now. The new capture options is compatible and the CreateUnit does work (I think i was too much of unexperienced slicer when i test it)

And since party is never too much and i am so happy that every single apect of the code i disliked is now working properly

Let's Celebrate!!!

hangover
Here is the updated version of the code.
Attached Files:
File Type: slc cityexpansion2.slc (48.0 KB, 4 views)
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 19, 2002 at 23:40.
Old August 20, 2002, 08:08   #62
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Martin, you are a genius!. The FinishImprovements fuction is working perfecly. It just cant come together with the CreateImprovements fuctions.
Now one of the earliest bug that was with me since the beginning of the coding has come to a end.
Yeah from the slic documentaion:

Quote:
To generate an event from SLIC:

Event:EventName(arguments)

Example (also see above):

Event:KillUnit(unit, 0, -1);

Generates a KillUnit event for the specified unit. Note that events always execute ASYNCHRONOUSLY. The event is added to a queue, and is executed only after all events added before it have finished executing. So in the above example, the units do not actually die until after the handler has finished executing.
So this means for your original cose, Pedrunn, that the FinishImprovement function was used on a location[0] without tile imps only afterwards the tile imp is placed it will finish the tile imp.

-Martin
Old August 20, 2002, 12:23   #63
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
I hate that smilie.
Old August 20, 2002, 13:59   #64
Pedrunn
King

IW i am waiting your pictures for the apolyton tile file. I have already the read me. the only thing not ready yet is to teach how to use both of our codes together. For that i want to see your newer version of the wonder code.
I wanted you to really consider use the TileHasWonder function. it will make the combo setting up much easier.
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 20, 2002 at 14:05.
Old August 20, 2002, 14:39   #65
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

one left ;)
Urgh, this is getting annoyingly complicated

There are 3 situations:

1/ Wonders only
2/ Both Codes
3/ City X only

1/ I've done it. It needs a bit of polishing, but its in the DB, and I'm happy with it, until the Tile File is done
http://ctpmodmakers.250free.com/Womb...wondersmod.zip

2/ You've done it. The last code you posted (without the wonder creation code in it, please) is fine for this. Use the TileHasWonder with the 10 tile improvements I use in the wonder code - the default game. Then the pair of mods work in conjunction, over the default game.

3/ IMO, you need to make a different SLIC file - perhaps even make them different ModSwapper options, CityX with Wonders, and CityX without wonders - and make it so that the wonders are not even mentioned.

I don't *think* there is any conflict between the two codes, working over the default game. When the default version is complete, bug-free, and published; then make Wes, Dave, Martin, and Dale(?) aware of this, so that versions can be made for the 'big' mods.

Quote:
I wanted you to really consider use the TileHasWonder function. it will make the combo setting up much easier.
No it won't, because it'll be using one function in two files, so if you change your mind, and only use one, it won't work. Trust me - its more hassle in the end. The easier way would be to use two TileHasWonder functions, (named differently of course...) in two different files.
Setting up mods on a thousand PCs ('Poly pack download count) is a house of cards. If too much relies on too much else, the whole thing screws up. Not everybody comes online every day to get the latest release
Old August 20, 2002, 19:21   #66
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
IW & Pedrunn:

Congrats guys. Well done!

Questions:
1- How stable/bug-free is the wonder code? (IE: Will there be any major patches to the code needed)
2- How stable/bug-free is the city expansion code? (IE: Will there be any major patches to the code needed)
3- IW: Any plans to incorporate the other wonders we've been PMing about?
4- Let's just say I wanted to capture every third pop-growth point in a city via SLIC and use that pop-point for something else, what affect would your two codes have on this plan, and vice-versa?
5- What files need modifying, or is it all in the readmes?
6- If I add another settler-type unit, say "Colonist", do I need to change anything in the two codes? (I'm assuming you've used functions like AddPop, RemovePop etc)

I suppose that's enough at this point.
Old August 20, 2002, 22:44   #67
Pedrunn
King

All asnwers goes to my city expansion and wonder expansion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Questions:
1- How stable/bug-free is the wonder code? (IE: Will there be any major patches to the code needed)
2- How stable/bug-free is the city expansion code? (IE: Will there be any major patches to the code needed)
For both of my codes i never got crashes with it. Even in the ealy version. And i test it really hard. with dozens of wonders built by one single city (for the wonder code) even the Great Wall placed over other wonders problem is fixed (its place is saved until it is not built). And city size up to 120 (maximum) at all ages having the placements placed with amazing precision. All bugs fixed here were caused wrong use of variables but i cant find any of them anymore so i dont think patch will be needed. In-game the code was a sucess. I already played 200 turs with dozens of other people slics (I am using at my unfinished mod). And not a problem at all. I am going to start a whole game testing tomorrow. If any problem appears i tell you.
The only problem that you may think is cities with the same owner squeezed together (this means a not perfect radius). This may cause placements of one city in the other one

Quote:
4- Let's just say I wanted to capture every third pop-growth point in a city via SLIC and use that pop-point for something else, what affect would your two codes have on this plan, and vice-versa?
As for the wonders it wont affect nothing. but for the cities depends on what you mean by that. The city expasion is triggered by the MakePop event. When it happens the city checks the size of the city if it is a multiple of three it makes the city grow.
But i also use the KillPop event. When this event is triggered it check the size of the city if it is a multiple of three minus 1 it replaces a city improvements by a dead city one. KillCity, CreatePark are coverd killing all tiles around the city depending on its size. BuildUnit (settlers, Urban Planners and Sea engineers), PlagueCity, Slave RaidCity, UndergroundRailWay is also covered and creates a dead city. And nuke city also kill cities
improvements
Quote:
tileimp.txt only. I plan to add some messages but so far only the tileimp.txt (of course the til file too).

6- If I add another settler-type unit, say "Colonist", do I need to change anything in the two codes? (I'm assuming you've used functions like AddPop, RemovePop etc)

I suppose that's enough at this point.
Probably not. I added the BuildUnit event but i dont know if the reducing of the city is caused by this event (it seemed to be bugged before) or the KillPop one. But the if there is the need of an addition it willl be one line only.

Those function arent in the code. RemovePop is only to prevent the cities to grow if there is no place to expand.

Here is the draft of the read me for the cityX
Attached Files:
File Type: zip cityx.zip (64.8 KB, 6 views)
-Jean Rostand
Old August 20, 2002, 23:03   #68
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
For both of my codes i never got crashes with it. Even in the ealy version. And i test it really hard. with dozens of wonders built by one single city (for the wonder code) even the Great Wall placed over other wonders problem is fixed (its place is saved until it is not built). And city size up to 120 (maximum) at all ages having the placements placed with amazing precision. All bugs fixed here were caused wrong use of variables but i cant find any of them anymore so i dont think patch will be needed. In-game the code was a sucess. I already played 200 turs with dozens of other people slics (I am using at my unfinished mod). And not a problem at all. I am going to start a whole game testing tomorrow. If any problem appears i tell you.
The only problem that you may think is cities with the same owner squeezed together (this means a not perfect radius). This may cause placements of one city in the other one
Excellent. The same owner thing won't bother me if it occurs, as long as it's in my borders.

Quote:
As for the wonders it wont affect nothing. but for the cities depends on what you mean by that. The city expasion is triggered by the MakePop event. When it happens the city checks the size of the city if it is a multiple of three it makes the city grow.
But i also use the KillPop event. When this event is triggered it check the size of the city if it is a multiple of three minus 1 it replaces a city improvements by a dead city one. KillCity, CreatePark are coverd killing all tiles around the city depending on its size. BuildUnit (settlers, Urban Planners and Sea engineers), PlagueCity, Slave RaidCity, UndergroundRailWay is also covered and creates a dead city. And nuke city also kill cities
improvements
Well, basically if I kept an eye on MakePop, and grabbed every third population point (STOP the call), I should be able to do this before your script and not affect anything of cityX. You agree with that?

Quote:
Probably not. I added the BuildUnit event but i dont know if the reducing of the city is caused by this event (it seemed to be bugged before) or the KillPop one. But the if there is the need of an addition it willl be one line only.
Excellent. *note to self* I could always just use the existing Settler and change its name.

Quote:
Here is the draft of the read me for the cityX
Thanks. Will check it out.
Old August 20, 2002, 23:20   #69
Dale
Emperor

Read the readme. Too easy.
Old August 21, 2002, 09:02   #70
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Questions:
It needs one update, but I'm waiting until the tile file is public, so the update needs only to be text and code - next week.
Quote:
3- IW: Any plans to incorporate the other wonders we've been PMing about?
Yes, they'll be in the Tile File, and I'll finish the code soon.
Quote:
No effect on the wonder code.
Quote:
Its in the readme, but for the Apolyton Pack, I think it is just APOL_tileimp.txt
Quote:
Nothing to change in the wonder code.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:13   #71
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

It needs one update, but I'm waiting until the tile file is public, so the update needs only to be text and code - next week.
Awesome. I shouldn't need it till then anyways.

Quote:
Yes, they'll be in the Tile File, and I'll finish the code soon.
Let me know when it's ready! I have a need for it.

Quote:
Its in the readme, but for the Apolyton Pack, I think it is just APOL_tileimp.txt
Cool, so I only need to add the strings, tileimp.txt, add the TileFile and slic. That's too easy.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:17   #72
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

yup. hopefully the tile file will be a separate download, to save space in every mod where it will be duplicated.

I've emailed the 7 pics off to Pedrunn. I used the Urgup cones, and a waterfall in the end for the sixth and seventh. It was easier than trying to sink a crater, raise a mountain, or pick out one tile in a jungle.

Quote:
Let me know when it's ready! I have a need for it
Old August 21, 2002, 19:37   #73
Dale
Emperor

Nothing to worry about mate. Just let me know when it's ready okay?
Old August 21, 2002, 19:42   #74
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Old August 21, 2002, 21:04   #75
Pedrunn
King

IW, I have just seen the pics you sent me I will find now a number to them in the til file.

I have just started the a new game with the cityX. The CreateUnit event didnt work out and the killPop wasnt triggered with this event . That really made me sad but I did some more testing with it and I found out that the CreateUnit does work. The problem is that there isnt a unit variable. if you take a good look in the database you will find that the unit_t variable is just to save the unit when it is used as a function
Code:
CreateUnit(int_t, location_t, city_t, int_t, int_t [, unit_t])
so i edited the code. And used the GetUnitsAtLocation function to check if there is a settler unit at the location_t variable where a unit was located. On target!!! the event worked . This may lead to a small bug wich is reduce the a city improvement if a unit is created in a city and this city has a settler. But better than nothing. Yet I must think if the benefits are better than the bad part.
Note: A CreateUnit event without a unit variable? what were the CTP2 programmers thinking
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 21, 2002 at 21:26.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:11   #76
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

D'oh, Pedrunn! If I had been able to follow this discussion more closely I could have told you ages ago how the CreateUnit event works. You don't really need the unit variable, it has no real value there (although it couldn't have hurt, I agree)! You should use the integers to find out if the unit is a Settler or similar, as I did in the old version of the Militia code:

Code:
// if a settler type unit is built, update # of Militia units if needed
HandleEvent(CreateUnit) 'MM2_MilitiaSettlerBuilt' post {			// triggers if a unit is created
city_t	tmpCity;
int_t	tmpValue;
	tmpValue = value[0];
	tmpCity = city[0];

if (CityIsValid(tmpCity)) {						// and it was created from a city (no valid city means unit was created from ruin FE)
		if (tmpValue == UnitDB(UNIT_SETTLER) || tmpValue == UnitDB(UNIT_URBAN_PLANNER) || tmpValue == UnitDB(UNIT_SEA_ENGINEER)) {	// and if unit is settler unit
			if (tmpCity.population > 0) {				// and the city still exists (again not sure if needed)
				MM2_TryMilitia(tmpCity.population, tmpCity);	// update Militias if needed
			}
		}
	}
}
Old August 21, 2002, 22:37   #77
Pedrunn
King

and

This event was pursuing me since the beggining of the coding.
I am relief that the code is until futher testing bug free but i feel bad that i lost so much time in this event. When i should have tested the int_t variables in the first place.
Anyway, thanks Locutus. I feel much better now
-Jean Rostand
Old August 22, 2002, 06:28   #78
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Silly BlueO
Old August 22, 2002, 06:40   #79
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
and the city still exists (again not sure if needed)
It is always better to check if the units, armies, cities are still valid, just in case. Unfortunazly I can't ckeck if a location is valid. I know if you play with DebugSlic=No then it is no problem. But if you try to make the scripts DebugSlic=Yes compartible then you have to do it.

-Martin
Old August 22, 2002, 14:53   #80
Pedrunn
King

The work of finding a workable number is so frustating. I have gone over all the numbers from 600 to 700. and most of the numbers caused game crashs . i think i re-launched my ctp2 about fifty times. You did suffered in silence when looking for the numbers, didnt you?

But i have finished the apolyton tile file.
I have done several changes in it. but the wonders numbers remains the same. I added the wonders you sent me on the numbers 471, 472, 481, 482, 483, 484 and 485. The Cities are in the working numbers from 600 to 700. I added all the wonders i made wich i sent you by e-mail except the st Pters Piazza because of the low quality of the graphic. And some changes in the cities were made.
To finalize the work and subimit the til I have a couple of questions:
1) We all agree that it has to go to the modification/graphics section?
2) Do you went through all nunbers from 300 to 499?
3) Did you went through anothers numbers?
4) I remember you dicussing with Locutus the best Madurai temple graphic. I wanna know if the picture i have is the winner. if not can you show me wich one is (please attached as png)?

I guess thats all.
Attached Images:
File Type: png madurai.png (4.6 KB, 86 views)
-Jean Rostand
Old August 22, 2002, 15:10   #81
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
You did suffered in silence when looking for the numbers, didnt you?
Yup. But I told you, blocks of 8, they work. Thats why I sent you 7, I thought you could find an unused block. Thankyou

1) yes
2) pretty much. That's where I put all the wonders.
3) I did much the same from 400 -> 600 I think. Quite a few of them work. That's where I put the cities in the tile file that comes with the visible wonders download.
4) Do you have a blue one or a red one?
Old August 22, 2002, 15:52   #82
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Here y'are. Should have this one.
Attached Images:

Old August 22, 2002, 16:44   #83
Pedrunn
King

Another question: to finalize the read me.

What are the actual name of tne wonders you sent me by e-mail (I could only figure out 3 : ) and what are their source?

EDIT: I forgot to tell that the cathedral had the same number as the oracle. So i moved the cathedral to number 456
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 22, 2002 at 16:53.
Old August 22, 2002, 16:53   #84
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

---> email
Old August 23, 2002, 10:34   #85
Pedrunn
King

What happens when i subimit (add a link) a file to the database?
It goes direct to the database. Or do i have to wait so that the files gets checked by someone first?
-Jean Rostand
Old August 23, 2002, 10:45   #86
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
What happens when i subimit (add a link) a file to the database?
It goes direct to the database. Or do i have to wait so that the files gets checked by someone first?
The links are first checked by someone first. As I added GoodMod I got first an email that my link was recived from Dan's email account. And I think two hours later an link added email. I don't know if Dan wrote these emails himself or if it was an automated email the content was very brief. Of course it is good to have a home page that allows hot linking. That makes the adding process much easier as you don't have to send an email to Locutus.

-Martin
Old August 23, 2002, 12:35   #87
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I think its an automated response, but it does get approved first. Usually quite quickly if you submit European evening time. Mine was done in 20 minutes I think.
Old August 23, 2002, 23:55   #88
Pedrunn
King

who checks the files?
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 24, 2002 at 00:16.
Old August 24, 2002, 04:47   #89
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Me. But I'm still very busy, a 20 minute response time is not gonna work now But your file will be approved today, assuming there are no problems with it
Old August 24, 2002, 13:10   #90
Locutus
Deity

Pedrunn,
Oops, seems like there *is* a problem with your file. Sort out the mess with IW first (He said he PM'ed you), then I'll approve it