Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ2, CM, FSM/FAPLM...
Old July 30, 2002, 12:51   #32
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:06
Games that are good for multiplayer are always best for longevity.

1) Civ2, by a country mile. Between SP and MP I wouldn't be surprised to have hit 4 figures in terms of hours.

2) Quake3. Used to play on LANs a lot, and now I have dsl MP is great fun.

3) Sensible soccer on the Amiga. During the ages of 14 or so when I got 1.0 and 18 when I left for university (playing SWOS at this time) I played this game with my friends constantly.
Old July 30, 2002, 21:11   #33
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
civ series by far!
Old July 31, 2002, 12:57   #34
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 01:06
Civ2

I have yet to find another game that even compares to it.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:02   #35
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:06
1) Civ2 (by far)
2) Heroes 3
Old August 1, 2002, 14:11   #36
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Civ2, supreme time-stealer

-Homer Simpson
Old August 2, 2002, 01:12   #37
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
Civ2

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 2, 2002, 07:31   #38
aaglo
King

Local Time: 08:06
1. Civ1
2. SMAC&SMAX
3. MOM
4. Colonization
5. Moo1&Moo2
6. Doom1 & Doom2 & Heretic & Hexen
6. RailRoad Tycoon Deluxe
Old August 2, 2002, 15:46   #39
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
Quote:
Osweld said this...
Europa Universalis 2.

So many times I'll start playing the game in the morning, and before I know it the sun has set, and I haven't even gotten out of my chair since starting the game.
What about going to the bathroom!?

Quote:
Fellow Mac user Old n Slow mentioned this...
Hmmm Let's see: 4 to 20 hours+ per game times over 600 games of Strategic Conquest on the Mac vs. 2 to 6 hours of Civ 2 per day 5 days a week on the PC for a decade -- you pick.
Wow! I really loved that game... that and Empire Builder... both were just a couple good games to just go out and swarm the world with units without having to think about tech or anything more complicated than wanting to beat up the other guy.

As far as my most time consuming game goes, they'd have to be:

SMAC/SMAX
CtP
Mario Kart 64 (only game my wife is willing to play with me.)
FF series
& Gadget Racers

Mario Kart just can't be beat for the experiance. Get four people together, even if they suck, and it'll be fun.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 3, 2002, 07:08   #40
Phantom
Prince

Local Time: 05:06
diablo II and fifa WM
Old August 3, 2002, 21:22   #41
Standup
Prince

On the PC probably championship manager in its various forms.
On the PC and Amiga Civ/Civ2, Railroad Tycoon 1+2.
And going back a bit further on the Spectrum probably Lords of Midnight.
Old August 4, 2002, 06:35   #42
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I don't want to compare Civ1 to Civ2, so I just pick the series, I've spent most time playing:

Civilization games
SimCity games
The Settlers games
Old August 4, 2002, 07:24   #43
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Lately, Morrowind. Besides that, Tribes2.
Old August 5, 2002, 05:41   #44
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Civ II.

Carolus
Old August 5, 2002, 18:45   #45
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

As an update... it's not the FF series per se... but rather FF4 that's taking up most of my time. Got that hard version in Final Fantasy Chronicles and have been enjoying that. IT IS HARDER!

Also, nothing else has changed, though my wife has taken a liking to racing with Wario on Mario Kart so I've had to figure out a new favorite character for myself...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 5, 2002, 19:01   #46
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Flameflash:

You're not hallucinating. FFIV (the Chronicles version) really is harder. What we Americans refer to as FFII is a bad translation of FFIV Easytype, which is in turn a bastardization of FFIV Hardtype, which is on the Chronicles disk, IIRC.

And Yoshi's almost as good as Wario. If I don't get either, I go for either Mario or Bowser.

An update of my own:

I started playing Doom again. Downloaded Eternal Doom and started playing that. Damn, that thing's complex!
Old August 5, 2002, 19:48   #47
FlameFlash
Emperor

Thanks Vlad I was kind of thinking that all this mentioning of "hell" and "bastards" probably would be in the original American version. Parents would have flipped out!

Yoshi was my wife's favorite prior to Wario and I'd always overtake her when I drove Wario... same thing happened when she had Wario and I Yoshi... plus, we'd look at the wrong half of the screen

Luigi is my other pick since Bowser and DK are just too slow on the restart-up with how my wife and I play.

Red & Green shells anyone? Once you learn how to aim, it really gets interesting.

Old August 8, 2002, 14:08   #48
Kepler
Settler

Civ I. May Sid burn in hell...
Old August 8, 2002, 14:14   #49
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 22:06
I would say civ2...

for a console game Morrowind is sucking up most of my free time (not that I have much of that of late), but Dragon Warrior for the Nintendo really ate up a bit of my youth.
Old August 8, 2002, 15:32   #50
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:06
I still find myself plying the modded CTP2 MP more then any other game. EU2 has been getting bigger but the buggy MP code has kept it in second place. Civ3 doesn't have MP so it is a very distant third.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 8, 2002, 16:02   #51
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I spent a lot of time playing Half-Life TFC in college, since I knew of a few fellow geek programmers who played the game. Every now and then we'd take a break from studies by getting boozed up and kicking everybody's asses in the Well, Two-Fort, or Badlands map.

I've spent quite a bit of time playing Morrowind, but I dunno if it'll surpass TFC for most hours played.

Spent quite a bit of time playing Chrono Trigger.

I always cheated up my levels in the FF series (I'd play them on emulator, and I'd edit my saved games to boost up my levels), so I didn't spend as much time on them. There was no need to play for hours just to level up.
Old August 8, 2002, 18:13   #52
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Civ II by far
Followed by Civ I and Conquest (an old DOS Risk-Like Game)

I also spent a good deal of time at Baseball Mogul
Old August 8, 2002, 20:20   #53
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

DC, which version of Baseball Mogul...i have an early version and love it to pieces....but they can't spell any of the names right, i think it was a copyright thing...but i looked at the latest one and it looked real cool (2003)
Old August 9, 2002, 00:30   #54
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The best I can say is there are a few contenders for the title of 'Most Played':

Original DOOM
Total Annihilation
Civ II / TOT
MoO2
Diablo 2 (with LOD when it came in)

Of those, DOOM is probably it, closely followed by Diablo. If it was by Genre, TBS would be it since MoO2/CivII/TOT/SMAC/CivIII together come to a good two-three years total.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 9, 2002, 09:49   #55
FlameFlash
Emperor

Once Civ III gets a multiplayer function... that's when I might get it. Not sure how many more MP games I can handle though... I'm thinking I should put my limit at 20.

Mad Monk:

Happen to play Lode Runner by any chance?

Old August 9, 2002, 14:39   #56
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
DC, which version of Baseball Mogul...i have an early version and love it to pieces....but they can't spell any of the names right, i think it was a copyright thing...but i looked at the latest one and it looked real cool (2003)
I think I had the 1998 or 1999 version (in which the player's names were correct), (in the 2000 version they lost the players license) in it, the only thing you had to input were the team names.

I would buy the most recent version, except for the fact taht they have no DRAFT option. I wouldn't be so annoyed about that except Football Mogul had a draft option... why not baseball mogul????

All the versions are about the same... But they are all good In the 1999 or 2000 version, I think you can enter your own names for the players file, correct? (I had the demo)

-
FlameFlash- that's one of the greatest platform games of all time I created several maze sets and can play as 2 players as once .
Old August 9, 2002, 14:53   #57
FlameFlash
Emperor

DC:

I do the same thing!!!! My wife is always boggled as my right hand never knows what my left hand is doing (and vice versa) yet the two little guys always work together rather well. Must be something about being a gamer...

Old August 9, 2002, 15:00   #58
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

You guys still play lode runner? I think you should get hold of quake3 or something.
Old August 9, 2002, 15:06   #59
FlameFlash
Emperor

Yeah, but in Quake 3 you can't play two characters at once.

It's more fun designing your own levels with it too. (Never even installed Quake 3 on my computer... have it, but then I got it for free with my order of CtP... or was that Quake 2?)

Old August 10, 2002, 09:22   #60
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Once Civ III gets a multiplayer function... that's when I might get it. Not sure how many more MP games I can handle though... I'm thinking I should put my limit at 20.

Mad Monk:

Happen to play Lode Runner by any chance?
I've heard of it, but I've never played it.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.